The genetic basis of female multiple mating in a polyandrous livebearing fish
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 61–66, January 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(1): 61–66
- Issue published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 OCT 2012
- Australian Research Council
- European Union
- 2008. Estimating heritabilities and genetic correlations: comparing the ‘animal model’ with parent-offspring regression using data from a natural population. PLoS ONE 3:e1739. , , , , and .
- 1968. Dither - a way to reduce undesirable fright behavior in ethological studies. Z. Tierpsychol. 25:315–318.
- 2012. Sexual selection and the differential effect of polyandry. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:8641–8645. , , , and .
- 1991. Sperm competition and the evolution of multiple mating. Am. Nat. 138:93–102.
- 2008. The genetic basis of traits regulating sperm competition and polyandry: can selection favour the evolution of good- and sexy-sperm? Genetica 134:5–19. , and .
- 2003. Directional postcopulatory sexual selection revealed by artificial insemination. Nature 421:360–363. , , , and .
- 2011. Intraspecific evidence from guppies for correlated patterns of male and female genital trait diversification. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 278:2611–2620. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman Group Ltd., London. , and .
- 2007. Shorter sperm confer higher competitive fertilization success. Evolution 61:816–824. , and .
- 2012. Comparing evolvabilities: common errors surrounding the calculation and use of coefficients of additive genetic variation. Evolution 66:2341–2349. , , , , and .
- 2007. Multiple paternity and kin recognition mechanisms in a guppy population. Mol. Ecol. 16:3938–3946. , and .
- 2011. Heritability is not evolvability. J. Evol. Biol. 38:258–277. , , and .
- 1997. Sex, color, and mate choice in guppies. Princeton University Press, Princeton NJ.
- 2008. The evolution of repeated mating in the burying beetle, Nicrophorus Vespilloides. Evolution 62:2004–2014. , , , , , and .
- 1997. The strength of indirect selection on female mating preferences. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:1282–1286. , and .
- 2005. Effect of inbreeding and heritability of sperm competition success in the bulb mite Rhizoglyphus robini. Heredity 94:577–581. , , and .
- 2003. Males influence maternal effects that promote sexual selection: a quantitative genetic experiment with dung beetles Onthophagus taurus. Am. Nat. 161:852–859. , , , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland. , and .
- 2011. The heritability of multiple male mating in a promiscuous mammal. Biol. Lett. 7:368–371. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Sperm-female coevolution in Drosophila. Science 298:1230–1233. , and .
- 2006. Genetics of sexual selection. Pp. 339–349. in C. W. Fox and J. B. Wolf eds. Evolutionary genetics: concepts and case studies. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , and .
- 2005. Quantitative genetic models of sexual conflict based on interacting phenotypes. Am. Nat. 165:S88–S97. , and .
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process: I. Direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51:1352–1362. , , and .
- 2002. The evolution of interacting phenotypes: genetics and evolution of social dominance. Am. Nat. 160:S186–S197. , , , and .
- 2008. Inter-population variation in multiple paternity and reproductive skew in the guppy. Mol. Ecol. 17:2975–2984. , , and .
- 2006. Mechanisms underlying the sperm quality advantage in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution 60:2064–2080. , , , and .
- 2004. Cryptic female preferences for colorful males in guppies. Evolution 58:665–669. , , , and .
- 2003. Multiple mating and sequential mate choice in guppies: females trade up. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:1623–1629. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team 2011. A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria: ISBN 3-900051-900007-900050, URL Available at http://R-project.org/. (accessed May 31, 2010).
- 1998. Heritability of sperm competition success in the bulb mite, Rhizoglyphus robini. J. Evol. Biol. 11:321–327.
- 2011. Heritability of female extra-pair paternity rate in song sparrows (Melospiza melodia). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 278:1114–1120. , , , and .
- 2006. Introduction to computer-intensive methods of data analysis in biology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1994. The estimation of the genetic correlation: the use of the jackknife. Heredity 73:544–548. , and .
- 2012. Estimating genetic benefits of polyandry from experimental studies: a meta-analysis. Biol. Rev. 87:1–33. , , , and .
- 2009. Repeatability and heritability of sperm competition outcomes in males and females of Tribolium castaneum. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 63:817–823. , , and .
- 1997. A “good-sperm” model can explain the evolution of costly multiple mating by females. Am. Nat. 149:573–584.