The bacterial parasite Pasteuria ramosa is not killed if it fails to infect: implications for coevolution
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 197–203, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 197–203
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2012
- Wellcome Trust
- Royal Society
- 2002. Infection genetics: gene-for-gene versus matching-alleles models and all points in between. Evol. Ecol. Res. 4:79–90. and .
- 2012a. The cellular immune response of Daphnia magna under host-parasite genetic variation and variation in initial dose. Evolution 66:3287–3293. , , and .
- 2012b. Elevated haemocyte number is associated with infection and low fitness potential in wild Daphnia magna. Funct. Ecol. 26:434–440. , , , and .
- 1982. The masterpiece of nature: the evolution and genetics of asexuality. Univ. of California Press, Los Angeles.
- 1996. The curse of the pharaoh: the evolution of virulence in pathogens with long-living propagules. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263:715–721. , , and .
- 2001. Genetic variation in a host-parasite association: potential for coevolution and frequency-dependent selection. Evolution 55:1136–1145. , , and .
- 1976. The ecological genetics of host-parasite relationships. Pp. 87–104. in A. E. R. Taylor and R. M. Muller, eds. Genetic aspects of host-parasite relationships. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford.
- 2007. Host-parasite ‘Red Queen’ dynamics archived in pond sediment. Nature 450:870–873. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Resolving the infection process reveals striking differences in the contribution of environment, genetics and phylogeny to host-parasite interactions. BMC Biol. 9:11. , , , , and .
- 1996. Development, life cycle, ultrastructure and phylogenetic position of Pasteuria ramosa Metchnikoff 1888: rediscovery of an obligate endoparasite of Daphnia magna Straus. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 351:1689–1701. , , , and .
- 1998. Within- and between-population variation for resistance of Daphnia magna to the bacterial endoparasite Pasteuria ramosa. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 265:2127–2134. , , and .
- 2000. Dose effects and density-dependent regulation of two microparasites of Daphnia magna. Oecologia (Berl.) 122:200–209. , , and .
- 1988. Feeding, digestion and oxygen consumption in Daphnia magna: a study in energy budgets. Neth. J. Zool. 39:56–78. , and .
- 1993. Specificity versus detectable polymorphism in host-parasite genetics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 254:191–197.
- 1998. The curse of the pharaoh hypothesis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 265:1545–1552.
- 2009. Friendly competition: evidence for a dilution effect among competitors in a planktonic host-parasite system. Ecology 90:791–801. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Sex versus non-sex versus parasite. Oikos 35:282–290.
- 1994. Parasitism, mutation accumulation and the maintenance of sex. Nature 367:554–557. and .
- 1978. An hypothesis to account for the maintenance of sex within populations. Evol. Theory 3:191–194.
- 2006. Effects of species diversity on disease risk. Ecol. Lett. 9:485–498. , , and .
- 2011. Trematode parasites infect or die in snail hosts. Biol. Lett. 7:265–268. , , and .
- 1992. Sexual reproduction in Daphnia magna requires three stimuli. Oikos 65:197–206. , , and .
- 1994. ADaM, an artificial freshwater for the culture of zooplankton. Water Res. 28:743–746. , , , and
- 1999. Migration, virulence, and the geographic mosaic of adaptation by parasites. Am. Nat. 153:S34–S47.
- 2006. The ecology of virulence. Ecol. Lett. 9:1089–1095.
- 2011. Cloning of the unculturable parasite Pasteuria ramosa and its Daphnia host reveals extreme genotype-genotype interactions. Ecol. Lett. 14:125–131. , , , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity and disease risk: the case of Lyme disease. Conserv. Biol. 14:722–728. and .
- 2011. Non-immunological defense in an evolutionary framework. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:242–248. , , , , and .
- 2007. Microparasite transmission to Daphnia magna decreases in the presence of conspecifics. Oecologia 154:45–53.
- 2011. The curse of the Pharaoh revisited: evolutionary bi-stability in environmentally transmitted pathogens. Ecol. Lett. 14:569–575. , , and .
- 2008. Rapid parasite adaptation drives selection for high recombination rates. Evolution 62:295–300. , , , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity and the dilution effect in disease ecology. Ecology 82:609–619. and .
- 2009. Measuring parasite fitness under genetic and thermal variation. Heredity 103:102–109. and .