Microsatellite and mtDNA analysis of lake trout, Salvelinus namaycush, from Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories: impacts of historical and contemporary evolutionary forces on Arctic ecosystems
Version of Record online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2012 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 1, pages 145–161, January 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(1): 145–161
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 2012
- The Polar Continental Shelf Project
- 2004. Incipient speciation driven by phenotypic plasticity? Evidence from sympatric populations of Arctic charr. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81:611–618. , and .
- 2006. Microsatellite analysis of the phylogeography, Pleistocene history and secondary contact hypotheses for the killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. Mol. Ecol. 15:1109–1123. , , and .
- 2007. Chinook salmon seasonal movements in Lake Huron determined from coded wire tag recoveries. North Am. J. Fish. Manag. 27:792–803. , , , , and .
- 2009. Phylogeography and sympatric differentiation of the Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.) complex in Siberia as revealed by mtDNA sequence analysis. J. Fish Biol. 75:368–392. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Evidence for two morphotypes of lake charr, Salvelinus namaycush, from Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories, Canada. Environ. Biol. Fishes 71:21–32.
- 1998. Combined use of SMM and non-SMM methods to infer fine structure and evolutionary history of closely related brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis, Salmonidae) populations from microsatellites. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15:143–159. , and .
- 2006. Comparison of Bayesian and maximum likelihood inference of population genetic parameters. Bioinformatics 22:341–345.
- 2008. Migrate-N, version 3.0.3. Available at http://popgen.scs.fsu.edu/Migraten.html/ (accessed March 12, 2012). .
- 2001. Maximum likelihood estimation of a migration matrix and effective population sizes in n subpopulations using a coalescent approach. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98:4563–4568. , and .
- 2004. Genetix 4.05, logiciel sous windows TM pour la ge′ne′tique des populations, version 4.05. Laboratoire Ge′nome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000, Universite′ de Montpellier II, Montpellier, France. , , , , and .
- 1991. Phylogeographic structure in mitochondrial-DNA of the lake whitefish (Coregonus-Clupeaformis) and its relation to Pleistocene glaciations. Evolution 45:1016–1035. , and .
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography of Nearctic and Palearctic fishes. Mol. Ecol. 7:431–452. , and .
- 1989. Population bottlenecks influence on mitochondrial-DNA diversity and its effect in Coregonine stock discrimination. J. Fish Biol. 35:233–244. , , and .
- 2003. Evidence for resource polymorphism in the lake charr (Salvelinus namaycush) population of Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories, Canada. Ecoscience 10:509–514. , , and .
- 2001. Holartic phyogeography of Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus L.) inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Evolution 55:573–586. , , , , and .
- 1993. Intralacustrine spe- ciation of Salvelinus namaycush in Lake Superior: an investigation of genetic and morphological varia- tion and evolution of lake trout in the Laurentian Great Lakes. Unpubl. Ph.D. diss., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. .
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1660. , , and .
- 2005. Asymmetric gene flow and the evolutionary maintenance of genetic diversity in small, peripheral Atlantic salmon populations. Conserv. Genet. 6:823–842. , , , and .
- 2012. Genetic perspectives on Arctic biodiversity. Chapter 7. in H. Meltofte, ed 2013. Arctic biodiversity assessment. Status and trends in Arctic biodiversity. Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna, Akureyri. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The influence of history and contemporary stream hydrology on the evolution of genteic diversity within species: and examination of microsatellite DNA variaton in bull trout, Salvelinus confluentus, (Pisces: Salmonidae). Evolution 57:328–344. , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic population structure among source populations for coaster brook trout in Nipigon Bay, Lake Superior. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 137:1213–1228. , and .
- 1996. Sources and sinks in population biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:326–330.
- 2008. Landscape genetics and hierarchical genetic structure in Atlantic salmon: the interaction of gene flow and local adaptation. Mol. Ecol. 17:2382–2396. , , , and .
- 1996. Homing in Pacific salmon: mechanisms and ecological basis. J. Exp. Biol. 199:83–91. , and .
- 1999. Genetic and morphological variation between two forms of lacustrine brook charr. J. Fish Biol. 54:955–972. , , , and .
- 1953. The movement of tagged lake trout in Lake Superior, 1950–1952. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 82:68–77. , , and .
- 1998. Microsatellites and minisatellites for molecular ecology: theoretical and empirical considerations. Pp. 55–86 in G. Carvalho, ed. Advances in molecular ecology. IOS Press, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin. Version 3.0. An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2004. Consequences of unequal population size, asymmetric gene flow and sex-biased dispersal on population structure in brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis). Mol. Ecol. 13:67–80. , , and .
- 2009. Interaction of landscape and life history attributes on genetic diversity, neutral divergence and gene flow in a pristine community of salmonids. Mol. Ecol. 18:4854–4869. , , and .
- 2002. FSTAT: a program to estimate and test gene diversities and fixation indices. Version 126.96.36.199. Available at http://www.unil.ch/izea/softwares/fstat.html (accessed November 2, 2011). .
- 1996. Testing differentiation in diploid populations. Genetics 144:1933–1940. , , , and .
- 2003. Genetic variation over space and time: analyses of extinct and remnant lake trout populations in the Upper Great Lakes. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270:425–433. , , , and .
- 2006. Effects of coancestry on accuracy of individual assignments to population of origin: examples using Great Lakes lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush). Genetica 127:329–340. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Performing the exact test of Hardy–Weinberg proportion for multiple alleles. Biometrics 48:361–372. , and .
- 2008. Direct estimation of the mitochondrial DNA mutation rate in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Biol. 6:1706–1714. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Concordant genetic estimators of migration reveal anthropogenically enhanced source-sink population structure in the River Sculpin, Cottus gobio. Genetics 173:1487–1501. , and .
- 1999. Postglacial recolonization patterns and genetic relationships among whitefish (Coregonus sp.) populations in Denmark, inferred from mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 8:239–252. , , and .
- 2002. SPAGeDi: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:618–620. , and .
- 2003. Microsatellite allele sizes: a simple test to assess their significance on genetic differentiation. Genetics 163:1467–1482. , , , and .
- 2010a. Pleistocene glaciations and contemporary genetic diversity in a Beringian fish, the broad whitefish, Coregonus nasus (Pallas): inferences from microsatellite DNA variation. J. Evol. Biol. 23:72–86. , and .
- 2010b. Genetic population structure of broad whitefish, Coregonus nasus, from the Mackenzie River, Northwest Territories: implications for subsistence fishery management. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67:905–918. , and .
- 2004. Evolution illuminated: salmon and their relatives. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , and , eds.
- 1996. Some genetic consequences of ice ages, and their role in divergence and speciation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 58:247–276.
- 2004. Genetic consequences of climatic oscillations in the Quaternary. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 359:183–195.
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 1999. Correlation of pairwise genetic and geographic distance measures: inferring the relative Influences of gene flow and drift on the distribution of genetic variability. Evolution 53:1898–1914. , and .
- 1996. Microsatellites, from molecules to populations and back. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:424–429. , and .
- 1975a. Physical and chemical characteristics of Great Bear Lake, Northwest territories. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 32:1971–1987.
- 1975b. Distribution of fish species in Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories, with reference to zooplankton, benthic invertebrates, and environmental conditions. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 32:1989–2004.
- 2003. Contrasting patterns of mitochondrial and microsatellite population structure in fragmented populations of greater prairie-chickens. Mol. Ecol. 12:3335–33347. , , and .
- 2005. HP-RARE 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2007. The origins of ecotypic variation of rainbow trout: a test of environmental vs. genetically based differences in morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 20:725–736. , , and .
- 1963. Movement of tagged Great Slave Lake fish. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 20:319–326.
- 2002. Microsatellite data resolve phylogeographic patterns in European grayling, Thymallus thymallus, Salmonidae. Heredity 88:391–401. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Review of genetics of lake trout in the great lakes: history, molecular genetics, physiology, strain comparisons, and restoration management. J. Great Lakes Res. 21:348–363. , and .
- 2005. Adaptive and neutral genetic variation and colonization history of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Environ. Biol. Fishes 74:297–308.
- 2008. The landscape genetics of yellow perch (Perca flavescens) in a large fluvial ecosystem. Mol. Ecol. 17:1702–1717. , , , and .
- 1986. Zoogeography of fishes of the Yukon and Mackenzie basins. Pp. 639–674 in C. H. Hocutt and E. O. Wiley, eds. The zoogeography of North American freshwater fishes. Wiley, New York. , and .
- 2001. Contrasting patterns of mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite introgressive hybridization between lineages of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis); relevance for speciation. Mol. Ecol. 10:965–985. , , and .
- 1998. Empirical evaluation of a test for identifying recently bottlenecked populations from allele frequency data. Conserv. Biol. 12:228–237. , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 2001. Delineation of sympatric morphotypes of lake trout in Lake Superior. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 130:1233–1240. , and .
- 2008. Habitat use and movement patterns of brook trout in Nipigon Bay, Lake Superior. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 137:1203–1212. , and .
- 2006. Beyond Bonferroni: less conservative analysis for conservation genetics. Conserv. Genet. 7:783–787.
- 1977. Drift variances of Fst and Gst statistics obtained from a finite number of isolated populations. Theor. Popul. Biol. 11:307–325. , and .
- 2006. Fine-scale natal homing and localized movement as shaped by sex and spawning habitat in Chinook salmon: insights from spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual genotypes. Mol. Ecol. 15:4589–4602. , , , , and .
- 2010. Population structure of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) in a large glacial-fed lake inferred from microsatellite DNA and morphological analysis. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67:1171–1186. , , and .
- 2004. Micro-Checker: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2004. Direct, real-time estimation of migration rate using assignment methods: a simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Mol. Ecol. 13:55–65. , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic evaluation of a Great Lakes lake trout hatchery program. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 134:872–891.
- 2003. Genetic assessment of strain-specific sources of lake trout recruitment in the Great Lakes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 132:877–894. , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic diversity of wild and hatchery lake trout populations: relevance for management and restoration in the Great Lakes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 133:674–691. , , and .
- 2007. Population structure and gene flow reversals in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) over contemporary and long-term temporal scales: effects of population size and life history. Mol. Ecol. 16:4504–4522. , , and .
- 2009. Gene flow and species delimitation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:386–393. , and .
- 1991. After the Ice Age. The return of life to glaciated North America. University of Chicago press, Chicago, IL.
- 2012. Microsatellite variation and genetic structure of brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) populations in Labrador and neighboring Atlantic Canada: evidence for ongoing gene flow and dual routes of post-Wisconsinan colonization. Ecol. Evol. 2:885–898. , , , , and .
- 2005. Conservation genetics of inland lake trout in the upper Mississippi River basin: stocked or native ancestry? Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 134:789–802. , , , and .
- 1999. BOTTLENECK: a computer program for detecting recent reductions in effective population size using allele frequency data. J. Hered. 90:502–503. , , and .
- 2004. GeneClass2: a software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Ecological and genetic differentiation among the Arctic charr of Lake Aigneau, Northern Québec. Ecol. Freshwat. Fish. 18:445–460. , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2005. The behavior and ecology of Pacific salmon and trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 2007. TRACER, Version 1.5: MCMC Trace Analysis Package. Available from http://tree.bio.ed.ac.uk/software/tracer/ (accessed March 15, 2012). , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1998. Postglacial fish dispersal of fish from the Mississippi refuge to the Mackenzie River basin. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:893–899. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete reimplementation of the Genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 1990. Growth, survival, and straying of the three lake trout strains stocked in the refuge of northern Lake Michigan. Michigan Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Research Report 1977, Ann Arbor, Michigan. .
- 2002. Lake trout movements in Northwestern Lake Michigan. North Am. J. Fish. Manag. 22:737–749. , , , , and .
- 1998. Freshwater fishes of Canada. Bull. Fish. Res. Board Can. 184:996pp. , and .
- 2011. Historic divergence with contemporary connectivity in a catadromous fish, the estuary perch (Macquaria colonorum). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:304–318. , , , , , and .
- 1985. Gene Flow in Natural-Populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:393–430.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 1994. Glacial Lake Mcconnell - Paleogeography, Age, Duration, and Associated River Deltas, Mackenzie River Basin, Western Canada. Quatern. Sci. Rev. 13:829–843.
- 2010. The Biology of Speciation. Evolution 64:295–315. , , , and .
- 2004. Phylogeographic lineages of Arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus) in North America: divergence, origins and affinities with Eurasian Thymallus. Mol. Ecol. 13:1533–1549. , and .
- 2005. Population subdivison and genetic signatures of demographic changes in (Arctic grayling) from an impounded watershed. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 62:2548–2559. , and .
- 2003. Evidence for fine-scale natal homing among island beach spawning sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. Environ. Biol. Fishes 67:77–85. , , and .
- 2010. Genetic structure and diversity among brook trout from Isle Royale, Lake Nipigon, and three Minnesota tributaries of Lake Superior. North Am. J. Fish. Manag. 30:400–411. , , , and .
- 1989. Statistical methods to test for nucleotide mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123:585–595.
- 2010. The influence of Wisconsinan glaciation and contemporary stream hydrology on microsatellite DNA variation in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67:919–935. , , and .
- 1992. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions when there are strong transition-transversion and G+ C-content biases. Mol. Biol. Evol. 9:678–687.
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic analysis of sympatric char populations in western Alaska: Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus) and Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma) are not two sides of the same coin. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1609–1625. , , , , and .
- 2011. Connectivity among populations of pygmy whitefish (Prosopium coulterii) in northwestern North America inferred from microsatellite DNA analyses. Can. J. Zool. 89:255–266. , , , and .
- 1992. A cladistic analysis of phenotypic associations with haplotypes inferred from restriction endonuclease mapping and DNA sequence data. III. Cladogram estimation. Genetics 132:619–633. , , and .
- 2001a. Clinal variation at microsatellite loci reveals historical secondary intergredation between glacial races of Coregonus artedi (Teleostei: Coregoninae). Evolution 55:2274–2286. , and .
- 2001b. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of lake cisco (Coregonus artedi): evidence supporting extensive secondary contacts between two glacial races. Mol. Ecol. 10:987–1001. , and .
- 2007. Life-history and habitat features influence the within-river genetic structure of Atlantic salmon. Mol. Ecol. 16:2638–2654. , , , and .
- 2010. Recognizing the temporal distinctions between landscape genetics and phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 19:2605–2608.
- 2010. Genetic clustering methods reveal bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus) fine-scale population structure as a spatially nested hierarchy. Conserv. Genet. 11:1421–1433. , , and .
- 2000. Phylogeography and arctic biodiversity: a review. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 37:217–231. , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 2010. Genetic variation and effective population size in isolated populations of coastal cutthroat trout. Conserv. Genet. 11:1929–1943. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Phylogeographic origins of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) in eastern North America. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 53:2764–2775. , and .
- 1998. Phylogeography and postglacial dispersal of lake trout, Salvelinus namaycush, in North America. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:1010–1024. , and .
- 2003. Bayesian inference of recent migration rates using multilocus genotypes. Genetics 163:1177–1191. , and .
- 2010. The impact of Pleistocene glaciation across the range of a widespread European coastal species. Mol. Ecol. 19:4535–4553. , and .
- 1996. Phylogeography and postglacial dispersal of Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in North America. Mol. Ecol. 5:187–197. , , , and .
- 2011. Phylogeography and the origins of range disjunctions in a north temperate fish, the pygmy whitefish (Prosopium coulterii), inferred from mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequence analysis. J. Biogeogr. 38:1557–1569. , , and .