Geographically multifarious phenotypic divergence during speciation
Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 595–613, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 595–613
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2012
- The National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DDIG-1011173
- ZG,NSF RET
- NSF EPSCoR WySTEP
- CCN. Grant Number: DEB-1050355
- JAF. Grant Numbers: DEB-0614223, DEB-1050947
- CAB. Grant Number: DEB-1050149
- MLF. Grant Numbers: EB-1020509, DEB-1050726
- 1995. A method for quantifying differentiation between populations at multi-allelic loci and its implications for investigating identity and paternity. Genetica 96:3–12. , and .
- 2011. Color vision and learning in the monarch butterfly, Danaus plexippus (Nymphalidae). J. Exp. Biol. 214:509–520. , , and .
- 2001. Low intraspecific variation for genomic isolation between hybridizing sunflower species. Evolution 55:684–691. , and .
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. , and .
- 2011. Isolation barriers between Petunia axillaris and Petunia integrifolia (Solanaceae). Evolution 65:1979–1991. , , , and .
- 2007. The ade4 package: implementing the duality diagram for ecologists. J. Stat. Softw. 22:1–20. , and .
- 2011. Inference of selection and stochastic effects in the house mouse hybrid zone. Evolution 65:993–1010. , , and .
- 1969. Differentiation of populations. Science 165:1228–1232. , and .
- 1977. Geographic variation, speciation, and clines. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2003. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies. Genetics 164:1567–1587. , , and .
- 2000. Natural selection and sympatric divergence in the apple maggot Rhagoletis pomonella. Nature 407:739–742. , , and .
- 2002. The significance of wing pattern diversity in the Lycaenidae: mate discrimination by two recently diverged species. J. Evol. Biol. 15:871–879. , , , and .
- 2011. A hierarchical Bayesian approach to ecological count data: a flexible tool for ecologists. PLoS ONE 6:e26785. , , , and .
- 2004. Oviposition preference and larval performance within a diverging lineage of lycaenid butterflies. Ecol. Entomol. 29:264–272.
- 2006. Egg morphology varies among populations and habitats along a suture zone in the Lycaeides idas-melissa species complex (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 99:933–937. , , , , and .
- 2009. Host range evolution is not driven by the optimization of larval performance: the case of Lycaeides melissa (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) and the colonization of alfalfa. Oecologia 160:551–561. , , , and .
- 2011. After 60 years, an answer to the question: what is the Karner blue butterfly. Biol. Lett. 7:399–402. doi:10.1098/rsbl.2010.1077. , , , and .
- 2006. MCLUST version 3 for R: Normal mixture modeling and model-based clustering. Tech. Rep. 504, University of Washington. , and .
- 2006. Ecological divergence exhibits consistently positive associations with reproductive isolation across disparate taxa. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103:3209–3213. , , and .
- 2010. Quantifying population structure using the F-model. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:821–830. , and .
- 1992. Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences. Stat. Sci. 7:457–511. , and .
- 2006. Homoploid hybrid speciation in an extreme habitat. Science 314:1923–1925. , , , , and .
- 2008. Recent colonization and radiation of North American Lycaeides (Plebejus) inferred from mtDNA. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 48:481–490. , , , and .
- 2010. Secondary contact between Lycaeides idas and L. melissa in the Rocky Mountains: extensive introgression and a patchy hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 19:3171–3192. , , , , and .
- 2012. Genomic regions with a history of divergent selection affect fitness of hybrids between two butterfly species. Evolution 66:2167–2181. , , , , , and
- 2008. Asymmetry and polymorphism of hybrid male sterility during the early stages of speciation in house mice. Evolution 62:50–65. , , and .
- 2001. Butterflies of British Columbia. UBC Press, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. , and .
- 1997. Geology of national parks, 5th ed. Kendall/Hunt Publishing, Dubuque, IN. , , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? - An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2005. Soft sweeps: molecular population genetics of adaptation from standing genetic variation. Genetics 169:2335–2352. , and .
- 2010. Population genomics of parallel adaptation in threespine stickleback using sequenced RAD tags. PLoS Genet. 6:e1000862. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Reproductive isolation caused by colour pattern mimicry. Nature 411:302–305. , , , and .
- 2011. Natural selection drives clinal life history patterns in the perennial sunflower species, Helianthus maximiliani. Mol. Ecol. 20:2318–2328. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. MorphoJ: an integrated software package for geometric morphometrics. Mol. Ecol. Res. 11:353–357.
- 1951. On information and sufficiency. Ann. Math. Stat. 22:79–86. , and .
- 1994. Modeling brain evolution from behavior - a permutational regression approach. Evolution 48:1487–1499. , , and .
- 2007. Multiple regression on distance matrices: a multivariate spatial analysis tool. Plant Ecol. 188:117–131.
- 2007. What causes partial F1 hybrid viability? incomplete penetrance versus genetic variation. PLoS ONE 2:e1294. , and .
- 2008. The strength and genetic basis of reproductive isolating barriers in flowering plants. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 363:3009–3021. , , , , and .
- 2011. The effect of climate change and habitat alteration on speciation in Lycaeides butterflies in the Greater Yellowstone Area. Pp. 130–137 in A. Chamois, ed. The 10th Biennial scientific conference on the greater yellowstone ecosystem. University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY. , and .
- 2008. Patterns of genitalic morphology around suture zones in North American Lycaeides (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae): implications for taxonomy and historical biogeography. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 101:172–180. , , and .
- 2005. Reinforcement of pre-zygotic isolation and karyotype evolution in Agrodiaetus butterflies. Nature 436:385–389. , , , , , and .
- 1989. Strong natural-selection in a warning-color hybrid zone. Evolution 43:421–431. , and .
- 2007. Natural hybridization in Heliconiine butterflies: the species boundary as a continuum. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:28. , , , and .
- 2007. Ecological divergence associated with mating system causes nearly complete reproductive isolation between sympatric Mimulus species. Evolution 61:68–82. , and .
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species. Columbia University Press, New York.
- 2004. How species evolve collectively: implications of gene flow and selection for the spread of advantageous alleles. Mol. Ecol. 13:1341–1356. , and .
- 1949. The nearctic members of Lycaeides Hübner (Lycaenidae, Lepidoptera). Bull. Mus. Comp. Zool. 101:479–541.
- 1952. Butterfly collecting in Wyoming, 1952. Lepidopterists' News 6:41.
- 1999. Molecular and morphological divergence in the butterfly genus Lycaeides (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) in North America: evidence of recent speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 12:936–950. , and .
- 2002. Lack of evidence for reproductive isolation among ecologically specialised lycaenid butterflies. Ecol. Entomol. 27:702–712. , , , and .
- 2002. Assessing population differentiation and isolation from single-nucleotide polymorphism data. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B. Methodol. 64:695–715. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Variable patterns of introgression in two sculpin hybrid zones suggest that genomic isolation differs among populations. Mol. Ecol. 18:2615–2627. , , and .
- 2004. Reproductive isolation caused by visual predation on migrants between divergent environments. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271:1521–1528.
- 2007. Divergent host plant adaptation and reproductive isolation between ecotypes of Timema cristinae walking sticks. Am. Nat. 169:151–162.
- 2009. Adaptive population divergence in cryptic color-pattern following a reduction in gene flow. Evolution 63:1902–1912.
- 2002. Host-plant adaptation drives the parallel evolution of reproductive isolation. Nature 417:440–443. , , and .
- 2009. Ecological explanations for (incomplete) speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:145–156. , , and .
- 2011. A new method to uncover signatures of divergent and stabilizing selection in quantitative traits. Genetics 189:621–U729. , , , , and .
- 2003. Latitudinal divergence of common frog (Rana temporaria) life history traits by natural selection: evidence from a comparison of molecular and quantitative genetic data. Mol. Ecol. 12:1963–1978. , , , , , and .
- 1983. Plebeian courtship revisited: studies on the female-produced male behavior-eliciting signals in Lycaeides idas courtship (Lycaenidae). J. Res. Lepid. 21:147–157.
- 2006. CODA: convergence diagnosis and output analysis for MCMC. R News 6:7–11. URL http://CRAN.R-project.org/doc/Rnews/. , , , and .
- 2005. Gene flow maintains a large genetic difference in clutch size at a small spatial scale. Nature 433:65–68. , and .
- 2010. Adpatation – not by sweeps alone. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11:665–667. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0.
- 2003. Components of reproductive isolation between the monkeyflowers Mimulus lewisii and M. cardinalis (Phrymaceae). Evolution 57:1520–1534. , , and .
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8:336–352. , and .
- 2000. Natural selection and parallel speciation in sympatric sticklebacks. Science 287:306–308. , , , and .
- 2002. Detecting recent positive selection in the human genome from haplotype structure. Nature 419:832–837. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Pollinator preference and the evolution of floral traits in monkeyflowers Mimulus. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 96:11910–11915. , and .
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford University Press, United Kindom.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:372–380.
- 2009. Evidence for ecological speciation and its alternative. Science 323:737–741.
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 106:9955–9962. , and .
- 2012. Larval performance in the context of ecological diversification and speciation in Lycaeides butterflies. Int. J. Ecol. 2012:242154. , , , , and .
- 1986. The butterflies of North America: a natural history and field guide. Stanford University Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- 2009. Speciation and patterns of diversity Progressive levels of trait divergence along a ‘speciation transect’ in the Lake Victoria cichlid fish in Pundamilia. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. pp. 155–176. .
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455:620–623. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural-populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series. B Stat. Methodol. 64:583–616. , , , and .
- 1991. The genetic structure of the hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina bombina and B. variegata: comparisons between transects and between loci. Evolution 45:237–261. , and .
- 2010. The variable genomic architecture of isolation between hybridizing species of house mouse. Evolution 64:472–485. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Making BUGS open. R News 6:12–17. , , , and .
- 2000. Reproductive isolation between divergent races of pea aphids on two hosts. II. Selection against migrants and hybrids in the parental environments. Evolution 54:1626–1637. , , and .
- 2011. Phylogeny and palaeoecology of Polyommatus blue butterflies show Beringia was a climate-regulated gateway to the New World. Proc. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 278:2737–2744. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Analysis of autosomal polygenic variation for the expression of Haldane's rule in flour beetles. Genetics 138:791–799. , , and .
- 1997. Genetic variation segregating in natural populations of Tribolium castaneum affecting traits observed in hybrids with T. freemani. Genetics 147:1235–1247. , , , , and .