Functional endemism: population connectivity, shifting baselines, and the scale of human experience
Article first published online: 19 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 450–456, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 450–456
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 19 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 OCT 2012
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship. Grant Number: DBI-0805458
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
- Foundation support of the Encyclopedia of Life
- 2008. Evidence of fishery depletions and shifting cognitive baselines in Eastern Indonesia. Biol. Conserv. 141:848–859. , , and .
- 2009. Gulf of Maine cod in 1861: historical analysis of fishery logbooks, with ecosystem implications. Fish Fish. 10:428–449. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Catch density: a new approach to shifting baselines, stock assessment, and ecosystem-based management. Bull. Mar. Sci. 87:213–234. , , , and .
- 2012. A new species of Damselfish (Pomacentrus: Pomacentridae) from Fiji and Tonga, aqua. Intl. J. Ichthyol. 18:171–180. , and .
- 2009. nucleotide variation, linkage disequilibrium and founder-facilitated speciation in wild populations of the Zebra Finch (Taeniopygia guttata). Genetics 181:645–660. , and .
- 2004. Shifting baselines and the decline of pelagic sharks in the Gulf of Mexico. Ecol. Lett. 7:135–145. , and .
- 2008. Meta-population structure in a coral reef fish demonstrated by genetic data on patterns of migration, extinction and re-colonisation. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:248. , , and .
- 2006. Comparison of Bayesian and maximum-likelihood inference of population genetic parameters. Bioinformatics 22:341–345.
- 2008. Are biological species and higher-ranking categories real? fish folk taxonomy on Brazil's Atlantic forest coast and in the Amazon. Curr. Anthropol. 49:291–306. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Cryptic species as a window on diversity and conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:148–155. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Connectivity and resilience of coral reef metapopulations in marine protected areas: matching empirical efforts to predictive needs. Coral Reefs 28:327–337. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Top-down control of lobster in the Gulf of Maine: insights from local ecological knowledge and research surveys. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 403:181–191. , and .
- 2001. Phylogeography of the trumpetfishes (Aulostomus): ring species complex on a global scale. Evolution 55:1029–1039. , , , , and .
- 2008. Shifting baselines in fishers' perceptions of island reef fishery degradation. Ocean Coast. Manag. 51:285–302. , , , and .
- 2008. Incipient speciation within a subgenus of rockfish (Sebastosomus) provides evidence of recent radiations within an ancient species flock. Mar. Biol. 154:707–717. , and .
- 2005. Cyclones as mass-settlement vehicles for groupers. Coral Reefs 24:138. , , and .
- 2009. Reversal of evolutionary downsizing caused by selective harvest of large fish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276:2015–2020. , , and .
- 2007. High genetic connectivity across the Indian and Pacific Oceans in the reef fish Myripristis berndti (Holocentridae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 334:245–254. , , , and .
- 2008. Differences in fish-assemblage structure between fished and unfished atolls in the northern Line Islands, central Pacific. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 365:199–215. , , , and .
- 2005. The use of traditional ecological knowledge in marine conservation. Conserv. Biol. 19:1286–1293.
- 2011. The role of natural history institutions and bioinformatics in conservation biology. Conserv. Biol. 25:1250–1252.
- 2009. Sequential cladogenesis of Pomacentrus moluccensis (Bleeker, 1853) supports the peripheral origin of marine biodiversity in the Indo-Australian Archipelago. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 53:335–339. , and .
- 2012. Comparative phylogeography in Fijian coral reef fishes: a multi-taxa approach towards marine reserve design. PLoS ONE 7:e47710. , and .
- 2008. Regional color and genetic differences demonstrate endemism in five putatively cosmopolitan reef fishes. Conserv. Biol. 22:965–975. , , , and .
- 2010. Congruence between mitochondrial genes and color morphs in a coral reef fish: Population variability in the Indo-Pacific damselfish Chrysiptera rex (Snyder, 1909). Coral Reefs 29:439–444. , , and .
- 2010. Not all larvae stay close to home: insights into marine population connectivity with a focus on the brown surgeonfish (Acanthurus nigrofuscus). J. Mar. Biol. 2011:12. , , , and .
- 2006. Accuracy of coalescent likelihood estimates: do we need more sites, more sequences, or more loci? Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:691–700.
- 2004. Conventional taxonomy obscures deep divergence between Pacific and Atlantic Corals. Nature 427:832–835. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Conservation genetics of the endangered Pampas deer (Ozotoceros bezoarticus). Mol. Ecol. 7:47–56. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Bayesian inference of population size history from multiple loci. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:289. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting genetic structures across two hybrid zones of a tropical reef fish, Acanthochromis polyacanthus (Bleeker 1855). J. Evol. Biol. 19:239–252. , and .
- 2012. Population genetics and objectivity in species diagnosis. Evolution 66:1413–1429. , and .
- 2011. Unforeseen importance of historical collections as baselines to determine biotic change of coral reefs: the Saba Bank case. Mar. Ecol. 32:135–141. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Sibling species in the sea. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24:189–216.
- 2008. Shifting baselines, local impacts and global change on coral reefs. PLoS Biol. 6:e54. , and .
- 2007. Specialized avian predators repeatedly attack novel color morphs of Heliconius butterflies. Evolution 58:2783–2787.
- 2011. Multi-Locus estimates of population structure and migration in a fence Lizard Hybrid zone. PLoS ONE 6:e25827.
- 2005. A phylogenetic approach to cultural evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 30:116–121. , and .
- 2010. Peripatric speciation drives diversification and distributional pattern of reef hermit crabs (Decapoda: Diogenidae: Calcinus). Evolution 64:634–662. , and .
- 2011. Retrospective coalescent methods and the reconstruction of metapopulation histories in the sea. Evol. Ecol. 26:291–315. , and .
- 1940. Speciation phenomena in birds. Am. Nat. 74:249–278.
- 2009a. Documenting loss of large trophy fish from the florida keys with historical photographs. Conserv. Biol. 23:636–643.
- 2009b. Historical declines of goliath grouper populations in South Florida, USA. Endang. Species Res. 7:175–181.
- 2005. Fine scale endemism on coral reefs: archipelagic differentiation in turbinid gastropods. Evolution 59:113–125. , , and .
- 2002. Longer life spans and delayed maturation in wild-derived mice. Exp. Biol. Med. 227:500–508. , , , , and .
- 1996. The one-migrant-per-generation rule in conservation and management. Conserv. Biol. 10:1509–1518. , and .
- 2001. Experimental evidence for beneficial fitness effects of gene flow in recently isolated populations. Conserv. Biol. 15:1054–1063. , and .
- 1997. Hypoxia in paradise: widespread hypoxia tolerance in coral reef fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271:s30–s33. , and .
- 2003. Population genetics, demographic connectivity and the design of marine reserves. Ecol. Appl. 31:s146–s158.
- 1995. Anecdotes and the shifting baseline syndrome of fisheries. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:430.
- 2007. Cryptic animal species are homogeneously distributed among taxa and biogeographical regions. BMC Evol. Biol. 7:121. , and .
- 2007. Phylogeography and the conservation of coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs 26:501–512. , , and .
- 2006. Utility of mitochondrial DNA barcodes in species conservation. Conserv. Biol. 20:1026–1033.
- 2009. Estimating connectivity in marine populations: an empirical evaluation of assignment tests and parentage analysis under different gene flow scenarios. Mol. Ecol. 18:1765–1776. , , , and .
- 2005. Using fishers' anecdotes, naturalists' observations and grey literature to reassess marine species at risk: the case of the Gulf grouper in the Gulf of California, Mexico. Fish Fish. 6:121–133. , , , and .
- 2012a. Common large-scale responses to climate and fishing across Northwest Atlantic ecosystems. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 69:151–162. , , , and .
- 2012b. Spatial scale of similarity as an indicator of metacommunity stability in exploited marine systems. Ecol. Appl. 22:336–348. , , , and .
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 2008. High connectivity on a global scale in the pelagic wahoo, Acanthocybium solandri (tuna family Scombridae). Mol. Ecol. 17:4233–4247. , , , and .
- 2001. Natal homing in a marine fish metapopulation. Science 291:297–299. , , , and .
- 2008. Pragmatic population viability targets in a rapidly changing world. Biol. Conserv. 143:28–34. , , , and .
- 2010. Rapidly shifting baselines in Yangtze fishing communities and local memory of extinct species. Conserv. Biol. 24:778–787. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Natural selection in action during speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 106:9939–9946.
- 2000. Is one migrant per generation sufficient for the genetic management of fluctuating populations? Anim. Conserv. 3:261–266. , and .
- 2011. Long-term effects of the cleaner fish Labroides Dimidiatus on coral reef fish communities. PLoS ONE 6:e21201. , , , , and .
- 2004. Application of the one-migrant-per-generation rule to conservation and management. Conserv. Biol. 18:332–343.
- 1999. Indirect measures of gene flow and migration: FST is not equal to 1/(4Nm+1). Heredity 82:117–125. , and .
- 2004. Minimum recruitment frequency in plants with episodic recruitment , , and .
- 2004. Myth of the molecule: DNA barcodes for species cannot replace morphology for identification and classification. Cladistics 20:47–55. , and .
- 1931. Evolution in Mendelian populations. Genetics 16:114–138.