Extinction hazards in experimental Daphnia magna populations: effects of genotype diversity and environmental variation
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 233–243, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 233–243
- Issue online: 14 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: GM07103
- National Geographic Society Committee for Research and Exploration. Grant Number: 8351-07
- 2009. The stabilizing effect of intraspecific genetic variation on population dynamics in novel and ancestral habitats. Amer. Nat. 174:255–267.
- 2011. Effects of founding genetic variation on adaptation to a novel resource. Evolution 65:2481–2491. , , and .
- 2011. Has the Earth's sixth mass extinction already arrived? Nature 471:51–57. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Change in filter-screen morphology and depth selection: uncoupled responses of Daphnia to the presence of filamentous cyanobacteria. Limnol. Oceanogr. 52:2358–2363. , and .
- 1993. Interspecific competition and determinants of extinction in experimental populations of three rockpool Daphnia species. Oikos 67:451–464.
- 1995. Predicting Extinctions: interspecific competition, predation and population variability in experimental Daphnia populations. Oecologia 101:397–406. , and .
- 2000. Does inbreeding affect the extinction risk of small populations?: predictions from Drosophila. J. Evol. Biol. 13:502–514. , , and .
- 2006. Effects of biodiversity on the functioning of trophic groups and ecosystems. Nature 443:989–992. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem function. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of environmental variation on extinction and establishment. Ecol. Lett. 7:26–30. , and .
- 2005. Propagule pressure and persistence in experimental populations. Biol. Lett. 1:480–483. , , and .
- 2011. Experimental demonstration of a two-phase population extinction hazard. J. R. Soc. Interface 8:1472–1479. , , and .
- 2009. Why biodiversity is important to the functioning of real-world ecosystems. Front. Ecol. Environ. 7:437–444.
- 2005. Ecology, epidemiology and evolution of parasitism in Daphnia. National Library of Medicine (US); National Center for Biotechnology Information, Bethesda, MD. 98 pp.
- 2000. The effect of parasites on host population density and extinction: experimental epidemiology with Daphnia and six microparasites. Amer. Nat. 156:459–477. , , and .
- 1995. Inbreeding and extinction: a threshold effect. Conserv. Biol. 9:792–799.
- 1999. Do population size bottlenecks reduce evolutionary potential? Anim. Conserv. 2:255–260. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Non-additive effects of genotypic diversity increase floral abundance and abundance of floral visitors. PLoS ONE 5:1–7. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity in Daphnia pulicaria as an adaptation to high biomass of colonial and filamentous cyanobacteria: experimental evidence. J. Plankton Res. 24:1047–1056. , and .
- 2008a. A review of extinction in experimental populations. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:1274–1287. , and .
- 2008b. Effects of habitat quality and size on extinction in experimental populations. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B: Biol. Sci. 275:2251–2256. , and .
- 2009. Environment, but not migration rate, influences extinction risk in experimental metapopulations. Proc. R Soc. Lond. B: Biol. Sci. 276:4363–4371. , and .
- 2002. Strong inbreeding depression in a Daphnia metapopulation. Evolution 56:518–526. , , , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity and genetic differentiation in Daphnia metapopulations with subpopulations of known age. Genetics 170:1809–1820. , , , , and .
- 2001. Natural selection for grazer resistance to toxic cyanobacteria: evolution of phenotypic plasticity? Evolution 55:2203–2214. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396:41–49.
- 2005. Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning: a consensus of current knowledge. Ecol. Monogr. 75:3–35. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Genetic diversity enhances the resistance of a seagrass ecosystem to disturbance. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:8998–9002. , and .
- 2008. Ecological consequences of genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 11:609–623. , , , , and .
- 1997. Hidden treatments in ecological experiments: re-evaluating the ecosystem function of biodiversity. Oecologia 110:449–460.
- 1969. Some demographic and genetic consequences of environmental heterogeneity for biological control. Bull. Entomol. Soc. Am. 15:237–240.
- 2001. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: current knowledge and future challenges. Science 294:804–808. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Population genetic diversity and fitness in multiple environments. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:205. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic diversity in honey bee colonies enhances productivity and fitness. Science 317:362–364. , and .
- 2003. Long-term dynamics in rock pool Daphnia metapopulations. Ecography 26:731–738. , and .
- 1963. Light induced hatching of Daphnia resting eggs. Chesap. Sci. 4:135–140. , and .
- 2005. Susceptibility of Italian agile frog populations to an emerging strain of Ranavirus parallels population genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 8:401–408. , and .
- 1995. The future of biodiversity. Science 269:347–350. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2002. Inbreeding and extinction: the effect of environmental stress and lineage. Conserv. Genet. 3:301–307. , , and .
- 2003. Inbreeding and extinction: effects of rate of inbreeding. Conserv. Genet. 4:405–410. , , , and .
- 2005. Ecosystem recovery after climatic extremes enhanced by genotypic diversity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:2826–2831. , , , and .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, NY. 887 pp. , and .
- 2009. Diversity has stronger top-down than bottom-up effects on decomposition. Ecology 90:1073–1083. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Survival: Survival analysis, including penalised likelihood. R package ver. 2.35-8. , and .
- 1997. Plant diversity and ecosystem productivity: theoretical considerations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94:1857–1861. , , and .
- USEPA. 2002. Methods for measuring the acute toxicity of effluents and receiving waters to freshwater and marine organisms, 5th edn. Office of Water, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC. 266 pp.
- 2010. Modern applied statistics with S, 4th edn. Springer, New York, NY. 495 pp. , and .
- 2008. Are we in the midst of the sixth mass extinction? A view from the world of amphibians. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105(Supplement 1):11466–11473. , and .