How does variation in the environment and individual cognition explain the existence of consistent behavioral differences?
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 457–464, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 457–464
- Issue online: 14 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2012
- Academy of Finland
- Biological Interactions Doctoral Programme
- 2012. Worms under cover: relationships between performance in learning tasks and personality in great tits (Parus major). Anim. Cogn. 15:763–770. , , and .
- 1983. Relative brain size and metabolism in mammals. Science 220:1302–1304.
- 1995. On the evolution of learning: representation of a stochastic environment. Theor. Popul. Biol. 48:251–276. , and .
- 2011. Spatial and temporal variation in population genetic structure of wild Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) across Africa. BMC Genet. 12:102. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Aerial dispersal plasticity under different wind velocities in a salt marsh wolf spider. Behav. Ecol. 18:438–443. , , and .
- 2011. Interaction between animal personalities and animal cognition. Curr. Zool. 57:491–498. , and .
- 1997. Seasonal changes of hippocampus volume in parasitic cowbirds. Behav. Proc. 41:237–243.
- 1994. Hippocampal growth and attrition in birds affected by experience. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91:7410–7414. , and .
- 2012. Cognitive ability influences reproductive life history variation in the wild. Curr. Biol. 22:1808–1812. , , , and .
- 2010. Coping styles and behavioural flexibility: towards underlying mechanisms. Phil. Trans. R Soc. B. 365:4021–4028. , , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 2010. Behavioural reaction norms: animal personality meets individual level plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 25:81–89. , , , and .
- 2012a. Variation in personality and behavioural plasticity across four populations of the great tit Parus major. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:116–126. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012b. Defining behavioural syndromes and the role of ′syndrome deviation′ in understanding their evolution. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:1543–1584. , , and .
- 1999. Cost of memory: ideas and predictions. J. Theor. Biol. 197:41–50.
- 2004. Evolutionary biology of animal cognition. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:347–374.
- 2000. Learning improves growth rate in grasshoppers. PNAS 97:2637–2640. , and .
- 2003. Serial analysis of gene expression predicts structural differences in hippocampus of long attack latency mice. Eur. J. Neurosci. 17:379–387. , , , , , and .
- 2012. A meta-analysis of correlated behaviours with implications for behavioural syndromes: mean effect size, publication bias, phylogenetic effects and the role of mediator variables. Evol. Ecol. 26:1213–1235. , , and .
- 2011. An empirical link between the spectral colour of climate and the spectral colour of field populations in the context of climate change. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:1042–1048. , and .
- 2002. Environmental complexity and the evolution of cognition. Pp. 233–249 in R. Sternberg and J. Kaufman, eds. The Evolution of intelligence. Lawrence Erlbaum associates, New Jersey.
- 2012. Brain development and predation: plastic responses depend on evolutionary history. Biol. Lett. 8:249–252. , , , and .
- 1996. Cognition and learning. Handbook of Educational Psychology, Mcmillan, New York. , , and .
- 2000. Cognitive ecology: a field of substance? Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:22–26. , and .
- 2009a. The expensive brain: a framework for explaining evolutionary changes in brain size. J. Hum. Evol. 57:392–400. , and .
- 2009b. Why are there so few smart mammals (but so many smart birds)? Biol. Lett. 5:125–129. , and .
- 2010. Evolutionary ecology of learning: insights from fruit flies. Popul. Ecol. 52:15–25.
- 2003. Carving the cognitive niche: optimal learning strategies in homogeneous and heterogeneous environments. J. Theor. Biol. 220:169–188. , and .
- 2010. Neuroendocrinology of coping styles: towards understanding the biology of individual variation. Front Neuroendocrin. 31:307–321. , , , and .
- 2004. Reliability and the value of information. Anim. Behav. 67:103–111.
- 2007. A behavioural syndrome in the field cricket Gryllus integer: intrasexual aggression is correlated with activity in a novel environment. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 91:475–482. , and .
- 2010. Parasitism, predation and the evolution of animal personalities. Ecol. Lett. 13:1449–1458. , , and .
- 1998. The metabolic cost of neural information. Nat. Neurosci. 1:36–40. , , and .
- 2012. Adaptive strategies for managing uncertainty may explain personality-related differences in behavioural plasticity. Oikos 121:1009–1020. , , , and .
- 2006. How noisy information and individual asymmetries can make ′personality′ an adaptation: a simple model. Anim. Behav. 72:1135–1139. , and .
- 2006. What makes information valuable: signal reliability and environmental uncertainty. Anim. Behav. 71:1119–1129. , and .
- 2002. Experimental evolution of learning ability in fruit flies. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99:14274–14279. , and .
- 2003. A fitness cost of learning ability in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270:2465–2469. , and .
- 2012a. Nymphal density, behavioral development and life-history in a field cricket. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 66:645–652. , , , and .
- 2012b. Integrating behaviour with life history: boldness of the field cricket, Gryllus integer, during ontogeny. Funct. Ecol. 26:450–456. , , , and .
- 2012c. Predator-induced changes in the boldness of naïve field crickets, Gryllus integer, depends on behavioural type. Anim. Behav. 84:129–135. , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary background for stress-coping styles: relationships between physiological, behavioral, and cognitive traits in non-mammalian vertebrates. Neurosci. Biobehav. R. 31:396–412. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Pattern and process in the evolution of learning. Psychol. Rev. 109:186–201.
- 2006. The relationship between migratory behavior, memory and the hippocampus: an intraspecific comparison. Proc. R. Soc. B. 273:2641–2649. , , and .
- 1998. Energy requirements for two aspects of phospholipid metabolism in mammalian brain. Biochem J. 335:313–318. , and .
- 2000. Climate, culture, and the evolution of cognition. Pp. 329–346 in C. Heyes and L. Huber, eds. Evolution of cognition. The MIT press, Cambridge, Massachusetts. , and .
- 2009. Ecological and evolutionary dynamics under coloured environmental variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:555–563. , , , and .
- 2007. Social information use is a process across time, space and ecology, reaching heterospecifics. Ecology 88:1622–1633. , , , and .
- 1992. Forager uncertainty and the balancing of antipredator and feeding needs. Am Nat. 139:1052–1069.
- 2012. Ecological implications of behavioural syndromes. Ecol. Lett. 15:278–289. , , , , and .
- 2008. Parent-offspring conflict and co-adaptation: behavioural ecology meets quantitative genetics. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275:1823–1830. , , and .
- 1995. Seasonal variation in hippocampal volume in a food-storing bird, the black-capped chickadee. J. Neurobiol. 27:15–25. , , and .
- 2005. Big brains, enhanced cognition, and responses of birds to novel environments. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:5460–5465. , , , , and .
- 1989. Variance and the value of information. Am. Nat. 134:128–140.
- 1997. Are cognitive styles still in style? Am. Psychol. 52:700–712. , and .
- 2012. Hummingbirds have a greatly enlarged hippocampal formation. Biol. Lett. 8:657–659. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary emergence of responsive and unresponsive personalities. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:15825–15830. , , and .