Foliar δ13C response patterns along a moisture gradient arising from genetic variation and phenotypic plasticity in grassland species of Inner Mongolia
Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 262–267, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 262–267
- Issue online: 14 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 2012
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 40871032
- Bureau of Science and Technology for Resources and Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: KZCX2-EW-QN604
- 2005. Drought tolerance in the alpine dandelion, Taraxacum ceratophorum (Asteraceae), its exotic congener T. officinale, and interspecific hybrids under natural and experimental conditions. Am. J. Bot. 92:1311–1321. , and .
- 2002. Variation of water-use efficiency of Leymus chinensis and Cleistogenes squarrosa in different plant communities in Xilin River Basin, Inner Mongolia. Acta Botanica Sinica 44:1484–1490. , , and .
- 2011. Gene discovery in cereals through quantitative trait loci and expression analysis in water-use efficiency measured by carbon isotope discrimination. Plant Cell Environ. 34:2009–2023. , , and .
- 1992. Correlating genetic variation in carbon isotopic composition with complex climatic gradients. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 89:7747. , and .
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity in Pinus pinaster δ13C: environment modulates genetic variation. Annals of Forest Science 67:812P1–812P11. , , and .
- 2010. Global patterns in leaf 13C discrimination and implications for studies of past and future climate. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107:5738. , , , , and .
- 1996. The response to differing selection on plant physiological traits: evidence for local adaptation. Evolution 50:103–110.
- 2006. SMATR: Standardised major axis tests and routines, ver 2.0., URL http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/SMATR/. , , and .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Plant Mol Biol 40:503–537. , , and .
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci affecting δ13C and response to differential water availibility in Arabidopsis thallana. Evolution 59:81–96. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Morphological and isotopic indicators of growth environment: variability in δ13C in Simmondsia chinensis, a dioecious desert shrub. J. Exp. Bot. 45:1817–1822. , , and .
- 2004. Genetic variation in carbon isotope discrimination in six European populations of Castanea sativa Mill. originating from contrasting localities. J. Evol. Biol. 17:1286–1296. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The genetic diversity of perennial Leymus chinensis originating from China. Grass Forage Sci. 62:27–34. , , , , and .
- 2009. Correlations between net primary productivity and foliar carbon isotope ratio across a Tibetan ecosystem transect. Ecography 32:526–538. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: where are we going now? Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:481–486.
- 2011. Evidence of a universal scaling relationship for leaf CO2 drawdown along an aridity gradient. New Phytol. 190:169–180. , , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2006. Leaf and wood carbon isotope ratios, specific leaf areas and wood growth of Eucalyptus species across a rainfall gradient in Australia. Tree Physiol. 26:479–492. , , , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity – contrasting species-specific traits induced by identical environmental constraints. New Phytol. 163:449–451. , and .
- 2000. Responses of δ13c value and water use efficiency of plant species to environmental gradients along the grassland zone of northeast China transect. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 24:648–655. , , , , , and .
- The Integrated Investigation Team in Inner Mongolia and Ningxia, CAS. 1985. Vegetation of Inner Mongolia. Science Press, Beijing.
- 2008. Carbon isotope discrimination of C3 vegetation in Central Asian Grassland as related to long-term and short-term precipitation patterns. Biogeosci. Discuss. 5:903–935. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Genetic Differentiation in Carbon Isotope Discrimination and Gas-Exchange in Pseudotsuga-Menziesii – a Common-Garden Experiment. Oecologia 93:80–87. , , and .