The effect of turbidity on recognition and generalization of predators and non-predators in aquatic ecosystems
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 268–277, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 268–277
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2012
- 2003. Unsuccessful predation and learning of predator cues by crayfish. J. Crustac. Biol. 23:364–370. , , and .
- 2000. Integrating behaviour into wildlife conservation: the multiple ways that behaviour can reduce N-e. Biol. Conserv. 95:303–315. , and .
- 2008. Understanding the influence of suspended solids on water quality and aquatic biota. Water Res. 42:2849–2861. , and .
- 2002. Effects of turbidity on prey consumption by prairie stream fishes. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 131:1203–1208. , and .
- 2005. Learning as an adaptive response to predation. Pp. 34–54 in P. Barbosa and I. Castellanos, eds. Ecology of predator-prey interactions. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2001. Fathead minnows learn to recognize predator odour when exposed to concentrations of artificial alarm pheromone below their behavioural-response threshold. Can. J. Zool. 79:2239–2245. , , , and .
- 2010. Cross-population responses to conspecific chemical alarm cues in wild Trinidadian guppies, Poecilia reticulata: evidence for local conservation of cue production. Can. J. Zool. 88:139–147. , , , , and .
- 2011. Generalization of predators and non-predators by juvenile rainbow trout: learning what is and what is not a threat. Anim. Behav. 81:1249–1256. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Behavior and conservation: a bridge too far? Trends Ecol. Evol. 22:394–400.
- 1994a. Fathead minnows, Pimephales promelas, acquire predator recognition when alarm substance is associated with the sight of unfamiliar fish. Anim. Behav. 48:597–605. , and .
- 1994b. The role of experience and chemical alarm signaling in predator recognition by fathead minnows, Pimephales promelas. J. Fish Biol. 44:273–285. , and .
- 1995. Free living fathead minnows rapidly learn to recognize pike as predators. J. Fish Biol. 46:949–954. , and .
- 1998. Chemical alarm signalling in aquatic predator-prey systems: a review and prospectus. Ecoscience 5:338–352. , and .
- 1983. Moonlights influence on predator prey interactions between short-eared owls (Asio flammeus) and deermice (Peromyscus maniculatus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 13:205–209.
- 2008. Allee effects in ecology and conservation. Environ. Conserv. 36:80–85. , , and .
- 2001. Turbidity, suspended sediment, and water clarity: a review. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 37:1085–1101. , and .
- 1997. Hopes for the future: restoration ecology and conservation biology. Science 277:515–522. , , and .
- 1992. Signals, signal conditions, and the direction of evolution. American Naturalist 139:125–153.
- 2006. The role of latent inhibition in acquired predator recognition by fathead minnows. Can. J. Zool. 84:505–509. , and .
- 2009. Sophisticated early life lessons: threat-sensitive generalization of predator recognition by embryonic amphibians. Behav. Ecol. 20:1295–1298. , and .
- 2011. Learning about non-predators and safe places: the forgotten elements of risk assessment. Animal Cognition 14:309–316. , and .
- 2005. The role of learning in the development of threat-sensitive predator avoidance by fathead minnows. Anim. Behav. 70:777–784. , , , and .
- 2007. Generalization of learned predator recognition: an experimental test and framework for future studies. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 274:1853–1859. , , , and .
- 2008. Can prey exhibit threat-sensitive generalization of predator recognition? Extending the Predator Recognition Continuum Hypothesis. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 275:1811–1816. , , , and .
- 2009. The paradox of risk allocation: a review and prospectus. Anim. Behav. 78:579–585. , , and .
- 2010a. Turbidity as an ecological constraint on learned predator recognition and generalization in a prey fish. Anim. Behav. 79:515–519. , , and .
- 2010b. Chemical ecology of predator-prey interactions in aquatic ecosystems: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 88:698–724. , , and .
- 1973. Chemical cycles and the global environment: assessing human influences. , , and .
- 2003. A century of generalization. Anim. Behav. 66:15–36. , and .
- 1993. Effect of turbidity on the predator avoidance behaviour of juvenile chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 50:214–246.
- 2004. Social learning about predators: a review and prospectus. Learning & Behavior 32:131–140.
- 2001. Learning specificity in acquired predator recognition. Anim. Behav. 62:577–589. , , and .
- 2000. Sensory compensation and the detection of predators: the interaction between chemical and visual information. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 267:571–575. , and .
- 2003. Predator recognition and learned irrelevance in the crayfish Orconectes virilis. Ethology 109:765–780.
- 1989. Reintroduction of captive mammals for conservation. Bioscience 39:152–161.
- 2005. Turbidity decreases anti-predator behaviour in pike larvae, Esox lucius. Environ. Biol. Fishes 73:1–8. , , and .
- 2008. Spatial variability in the abundance of pelagic invertebrate predators in relation to depth and turbidity. Aquat. Ecol. 42:25–33. , , , and .
- 1998. Stress and decision making under the risk of predation: recent developments from behavioral, reproductive, and ecological perspectives. Stress and Behavior 27:215–290.
- Degraded environments alter prey risk assessment. Ecology and Evolution. doi:10.1002/ece3.388. , , and . in press.
- 1993. Population differences in responses of fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) to visual and chemical stimuli from predators. Ethology 93:31–40. , , and .
- 1996. Cultural transmission of predator recognition in fishes: intraspecific and interspecific learning. Anim. Behav. 51:185–201. , , and .
- 2005. Water turbidity affects predator-prey interactions in a fish-damselfly system. Oecologia 144:327–336. , , and .
- 2011. Friend or foe? The role of latent inhibition in predator and non-predator labelling by coral reef fishes. Animal Cognition 14:707–714. , , , and .
- 2005. Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms. Nature 437:681–686. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Green light for nocturnally migrating birds. Ecology and Society 13:47. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The influence of turbidity on three-spined stickleback foraging. J. Fish Biol. 70:965–972. , , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity - Global biodiversity scenarios for the year 2100. Science 287:1770–1774. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Effects of acid rain on freshwater ecosystems. Science 239:149–157.
- 2008. The relevance of background odor in resource location by insects: a behavioral approach. Bioscience 58:308–316. , and .
- 2008. Concentration-duration-frequency curves for stream turbidity: possibilities for assessing biological impairment. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 44:879–886. , , and .
- 1997. Cichlid Fish Diversity Threatened by Eutrophication That Curbs Sexual Selection. Science 277:1808–1811. , , and .
- 2009. The effects of turbidity on prey selection by piscivorous largemouth bass. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 138:1018–1027. , and .
- 1987. Predators and prey lifestyles: an evolutionary overview. Pp. 203–224 in W. C. Kerfoot and A. Sih, eds. Predation: direct and indirect impacts on aquatic communities. New England University Press, Hanover, New-Hampshire, USA.
- 2007. Evolutionary responses to climate change. Conserv. Biol. 21:1353–1355. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Fear in animals: a meta-analysis and review of risk assessment. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 272:2627–2634. , and .
- 2007. The re-emergence of felid camouflage with the decay of predator recognition in deer under relaxed selection. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 274:175–182. , and .
- 1994. Beyond global warming - Ecology and global change. Ecology 75:1861–1876.
- 1999. Effects of light, prey size, and turbidity on reaction distances of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) to salmonid prey. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 56:1293–1297. , and .
- 2004. Climate change uncouples trophic interactions in an aquatic ecosystem. Ecology 85:2100–2106. , and .
- 2006. The role of public chemical information in antipredator behaviour. Pp. 259–278 in F. Ladich, S. D. Collin, P. Moller and P. G. Kapoor, eds. Communication in fishes. Science Publishers, New-Jersey. , and .
- 2000. Understanding, assessing, and resolving light-pollution problems on sea turtle nesting beaches. , and .
- 2007. Turbidity affects foraging success of drift-feeding rosyside dace. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 136:167–176. , and .