Effects of predation environment and food availability on somatic growth in the Livebearing Fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora (Pisces: Poeciliidae)
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 326–333, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 326–333
- Issue published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 SEP 2012
- BYU Biology Department
- 1997. Adaptive intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. Q. Rev. Biol. 72:149–177.
- 2005. Evolution of juvenile growth rates in female guppies (Poecilia reticulata): Predator regime or resource level? Proc. Biol. Sci. 272:333–337. , and .
- 1999. Countergradient selection for rapid growth in pumpkinseed sunfish: disentangling ecological and evolutionary effects. Ecology 80:2793–2798. , and .
- 1995. Variation in growth and age at maturity in Bluegill Sunfish – genetic or environmental-effects. J. Fish Biol. 47:237–247.
- 1993. Predation-induced differences in growth and reproduction of Bluegills (Lepomis macrochirus). Copeia 1993:1034–1044. , and .
- 2005. Variation in intrinsic individual growth rate among populations of leatherside chub (Snyderichthys copei Jordan & Gilbert): adaptation to temperature or length of growing season? Ecol. Freshw. Fish 14:177–184. , , , , and .
- 2011. Effect of predation and habitat quality on growth and reproduction of a stream fish. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 20:102–113. , , and .
- 2005. The importance in fishery management of leaving the big ones. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:356–358. , and .
- 2008. Rapid depletion of genotypes with fast growth and bold personality traits from harvested fish populations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:2919–2922. , and .
- 2005. Resource competition modifies the strength of trait-mediated predator-prey interactions: a meta-analysis. Ecology 86:2771–2779. , and .
- 1998. Peces de las agues continentals de Costa Rica. Editorial de la Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica.
- 2010. The pace of life under artificial selection: personality, energy expenditure, and longevity are correlated in domestic dogs. Am. Nat. 175:753–758. , , , and .
- 2002. Sustaining fisheries yields over evolutionary time scales. Science 297:94–96. , and .
- 1990. Countergradient variation in growth-rate – compensation for length of the growing-season among atlantic silversides from different latitudes. Oecologia 83:316–324. , and .
- 1995. Phenotypic similarity and the evolutionary significance of countergradient variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:248–252. , and .
- 2009. The covariance between genetic and environmental influences across ecological gradients reassessing the evolutionary significance of countergradient and cogradient variation. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1168:100–129. , , and .
- 2009. Cost of reproduction, resource quality, and terminal investment in a burying beetle. Am. Nat. 174:673–684. , , and .
- 2010. Effect of dietary supplementation of different rates of spirulina (Spirulina platensis) on growth and feed conversion in Guppy (Poecilia reticulata Peters, 1860). J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 9:1395–1399. , , , and .
- 2004. Phenotypic plasticity: functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York. , and .
- 2010. Population structure, growth rates and spatial distribution of two dioecious tree species in a wet forest in Puerto Rico. J. Trop. Ecol. 26:433–443. , , and .
- 1987. Feeding under predation hazard – response of the guppy and hart rivulus from sites with contrasting predation hazard. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 21:203–209. , and .
- 2004. Night feeding by guppies under predator release: effects on growth and daytime courtship. Ecology 85:312–319. , , , , and .
- 1994. Adaptive variation in growth-rate – life-history costs and consequences in the speckled wood butterfly, Pararge aegeria. Oecologia 99:281–289. , , and .
- 2001. Rain forest canopy cover, resource availability, and life history evolution in guppies. Ecology 82:1546–1559. , , , , and .
- 1991. Pessimistic plant: optimal growth schedule in stochastic environments. Theor. Popul. Biol. 40:246–268.
- 2006. Life-history phenotypes in a live-bearing fish Brachyrhaphis episcopi living under different predator regimes: seasonal effects? Environ. Biol. Fishes 76:211–219. , , , and .
- 2001. Adaptive life-history evolution in the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora: genetic basis for parallel divergence in age and size at maturity and a test of predator-induced plasticity. Evolution 55:1486–1491.
- 2002. Divergent life histories among populations of the fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora: detecting putative agents of selection by candidate model analysis. Oikos 96:82–91.
- 2003. Predator exposure alters female mate choice in the green swordtail. Behav. Ecol. 14:619–625. , and .
- 1999. Effects of predation on life-history evolution in Utah chub (Gila atraria). Copeia 1999:948–957. , and .
- 2001. Predation environment predicts divergent life-history phenotypes among populations of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora. Oecologia 126:142–149. , and .
- 2009. Differential mortality drives life-history evolution and population dynamics in the fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora. Ecology 90:2243–2252. , and .
- 1997. Small sample inference for fixed effects from restricted maximum likelihood. Biometrics 53:983–997. , and .
- 2004. Predator-driven phenotypic diversification in Gambusia affinis. Evolution 58:2305–2318. , , , and .
- 2010. Age, size and growth in two populations of the dark-spotted frog Rana nigromaculata at different altitudes in southwestern China. Herpetol. J. 20:77–82. , , , , and .
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation – a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68:619–640. , and .
- 1996. SAS system for mixed models. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. , , , and .
- 2003. Prey state and experimental design affect relative size of trait- and density-mediated indirect effects. Ecology 84:1140–1150. , , and .
- 1992. Seasonal plasticity in life-history traits – growth and development in Polygonia c-album (Lepidoptera: nymphalidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 47:301–323.
- 1998. Plasticity in life-history traits. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 43:63–83. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Reversibility of predator-induced plasticity and its effect at a life-history switch point. Oikos 121:44–52. , , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity. Pp. 58–69 in C. W. Fox, D. A. Roff and D. J. Fairbairn, eds. Evolutionary ecology: concepts and case studies, 1st ed. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1984. Behavioral-aspects of animal domestication. Q. Rev. Biol. 59:1–32.
- 2005. Empirical tests for ecological exchangeability. Anim. Conserv. 8:239–247. , , , and .
- 2002. Local population differences in phenotypic plasticity: predator-induced changes in wood frog tadpoles. Ecol. Monogr. 72:77–93.
- 1983. The structure of guppy life histories – the tradeoff between growth and reproduction. Ecology 64:862–873.
- 1982. The impact of predation on life-history evolution in trinidadian guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Evolution 36:160–177. , and .
- 2001. Life-history evolution in guppies. VII. The comparative ecology of high- and low-predation environments. Am. Nat. 157:126–140. , , and .
- 1992. Prey uncertainty and the balancing of antipredator and feeding needs. Am. Nat. 139:1052–1069.
- 2007. Growth-mortality tradeoffs and ‘personality traits’ in animals. Ecol. Lett. 10:355–363.
- 1994. Fitness sensitivity and the canalization of life-history traits. Evolution 48:1438–1450. , and .
- 1991. Phenotypic plasticity as a componet of evolutionary change. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6:246–249.
- 2010. Internally driven alternation of functional traits in a multispecies predator-prey system. Ecology 91:1748–1762. , and .
- 1993. Seasonality of reproduction by livebearing fishes in tropical rain-forest streams. Oecologia 95:266–276.
- 2007. Genomic screening for artificial selection during domestication and improvement in maize. Ann. Bot. 100:967–973. , , and .
- 2011. Diet quality and prey selectivity correlate with life histories and predation regime in Trinidadian guppies. Funct. Ecol. 25:964–973. , , , , , , et al.