Niche partitioning between close relatives suggests trade-offs between adaptation to local environments and competition
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 512–522, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 512–522
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2012
- A President's Undergraduate Fellowship
- The Davis Botanical Society
- 2003. Competitive coexistence in spatially structured environments: a synthesis. Ecol. Lett. 6:1109–1122.
- 2009. Functional tradeoffs determine species coexistence via the storage effect. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 106:11641–11645. , , , and .
- 1994. Positive interactions in communities. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9:191–193. , and .
- 2011. More closely related species are more ecologically similar in an experimental test. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:5302–5307. , and .
- 1995. Positive interactions among plants. Bot. Rev. 61:306–349.
- 2000. Mechanisms of maintenance of species diversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31:343-+.
- 1997. The roles of harsh and fluctuating conditions in the dynamics of ecological communities. Am. Nat. 150:519–553. , and .
- 1981. Environmental variability promotes coexistence in lottery competitive systems. Am. Nat. 117:923–943. , and .
- 2001. Facilitation and competition on gradients in alpine plant communities. Ecology 82:3295–3308. , , and .
- 1961. The influence of interspecific competition and other factors on the distribution of the barnacle chthamalus stellatus. Ecology 42:710–723.
- 1981. Rank transformations as a bridge between parametric and nonparametric statistics. Am. Stat. 35:124–129. , and .
- 2011. Determinants of annual–perennial plant zonation across a salt–fresh marsh interface: a multistage assessment. Oecologia 166:1067–1075. , , , and .
- 2001. Competition and salt-marsh plant zonation: stress tolerators may be dominant competitors. Ecology 82:2471–2485. , , and .
- 2011. Climate determines upper, but not lower, altitudinal range limits of Pacific Northwest conifers. Ecology 92:1323–1331. , , and .
- 2009. Climate, niche evolution, and diversification of the “Bird-Cage” evening primroses (Oenothera, Sections Anogra and Kleinia). Am. Nat. 173:225–240. , , , and .
- 1994. Evidence for natural selection on mating system in Mimulus (Scrophulariaceae). Int. J. Plant Sci. 155:588–596. , and .
- 2009. Measuring the importance of competition in plant communities. J. Ecol. 97:379–384. , , and .
- 2006. Importance and intensity of competition along a fertility gradient and across species. J. Veg. Sci. 17:455–464. , , and .
- 1996. Competitive ability: definitions, contingency and correlated traits. Phil. Trans. Biol. Sci. 351:1377–1385.
- 1991. A clarification of the debate between Grime and Tilman. Funct. Ecol. 5:583–587.
- 1977. Evidence for the existence of three primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evolutionary theory. Am. Nat. 111:1169–1194.
- 2000. Determinants of the Northern and Southern Range limits of a warbler. J. Biogeogr. 27:869–878. , and .
- 2009. Bringing the Hutchinsonian niche into the 21st century: ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:19659–19665.
- 2008. Simultaneous inference in general parametric models. Biom. J. 50:346–363. , , and .
- 1957. Population studies – animal ecology and demography – concluding remarks. Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 22:415–427.
- 2002. Relative competitive performance of 63 species of terrestrial herbaceous plants. J. Veg. Sci. 13:5–16. , , , and .
- 1997. Evolution of a species' range. Am. Nat. 150:1–23. , and .
- 2010. The shifting balance of facilitation and competition affects the outcome of intra- and interspecific interactions over the life history of California grassland annuals. Plant Ecol. 208:333–345. , and .
- 2009. Competition and a short growing season lead to ecotypic differentiation at the two extremes of the ecological range. Funct. Ecol. 23:397–404. , and .
- 2005. Stress tolerance and competitive-response ability determine the outcome of biotic interactions. Ecology 86:1611–1618. , , and .
- 1967. Limiting similarity convergence and divergence of coexisting species. Am. Nat. 101:377-&. , and .
- 2009. Refining the stress-gradient hypothesis for competition and facilitation in plant communities. J. Ecol. 97:199–205. , , , and .
- 2011. The evolution and functional significance of leaf shape in the angiosperms. Funct. Plant Biol. 38:535–552. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Seed banks in desert annuals: implications for persistence and coexistence in variable environments. Ecology 77:1427–1435. , and .
- R Core Development Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. In, R Foundation for Statistical Computing Vienna, Austria.
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8:336–352. , and .
- SAS Institute. 2011. SAS for Windows version 9.3. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
- 2007. New methods for quantifying the spatial storage effect: an illustration with desert annuals. Ecology 88:2240–2247. , and .
- 2009. Evolution and ecology of species range limits. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst., 40:415–436. , , , and .
- 2011. Gene flow increases fitness at the warm edge of a species' range. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:11704–11709. , , and .
- 1993. Comparative plant demography–relative importance of life-cycle components to the finite rate of increase in woody and herbaceous perennials. J. Ecol. 81:465–476. , , , and .
- 1999. Species diversity and invasion resistance in a marine ecosystem. Science 286:1577–1579. , , and .
- 2004. Heat avoidance life history strategy controls the distribution of geothermal agrostis in yellowstone. Ecology 85:1955–1966. , and .
- 2011. coxme: Mixed Effects Cox Models. R package version 2.1-3. Available at:http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=coxme. .
- 1982. Resource Competition and Community Structure. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. .
- 1987. On the meaning of competition and the mechanisms of competitive superiority. Funct. Ecol. 1:304–315.
- 2004. Niche tradeoffs, neutrality, and community structure: a stochastic theory of resource competition, invasion, and community assembly. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:10854–10861.
- 2006. The dispersal characteristics of the invasive plant Mimulus guttatus and the ecological significance of increased occurrence of high-flow events. J. Ecol. 94:1080–1091. , , , , and .
- 1964. Barriers to gene exchange between members of the Mimulus guttatus complex (Scrophulariaceae). Evolution 18:52–69. .
- 1999. Remarkable waxing, waning, and wandering of populations of Mimulus guttatus: an unexpected example of global warming. Great Basin Nat. 59:112–126.
- 2010. Experimental demonstration of the importance of competition under disturbance. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107:12925–12929. , , and .
- 1986. The intensity of competition versus its importance: an overlooked distinction and some implications. Q. Rev. Biol. 61:23–44. , and .
- 1983. Geographic limits and local zonation: the barnacles Semibalanus (Balanus) and Chthamalus in New England. Biol. Bull. 165:330–341.
- 2008. Mimulus is an emerging model system for the integration of ecological and genomic studies. Heredity 100:220–230. , , , , , and .