Environmental heterogeneity, dispersal mode, and co-occurrence in stream macroinvertebrates
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Author. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 344–355, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 344–355
- Issue online: 14 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 4 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- Maj and Tor Nessling Foundation and Kone Foundation
- Academy of Finland
- 2006. Distance-based tests for homogeneity of multivariate dispersions. Biometrics 62:245–253.
- 2003. Generalized discriminant analysis based on distances. Aust. N.Z. J. Stat. 43:301–318. , and .
- 2008. PERMANOVA+ for PRIMER. Guide to Software and Statistical Methods. PRIMER-E Ltd., Plymouth. , , and .
- 2011. Navigating the multiple meanings of β diversity: a roadmap for the practicing ecologist. Ecol. Lett. 14:19–28. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Neutral macroecology. Science 293:2413–2418.
- 1999. Assembly rules within a contingent ecology. Oikos 86:402–416. , and .
- 2001. Dispersal in freshwater invertebrates. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32:159–181. , , and .
- 2003. Ecological and evolutionary significance of dispersal by freshwater invertebrates. Ecol. Lett. 6:783–796. , and .
- 2004. Distributional, morphological and genetic consequences of dispersal for temporary pond water mites. Freshw. Biol. 49:170–180. , , and .
- 1985. Do non-random patterns of species in niche space imply competition? Oikos 45:443–446. , and .
- 2010. Dendritic network structure constraints metacommunity properties in riverine ecosystems. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:571–580. , and .
- 2003. Ecological Niches. Linking Classical and Contemporary Approaches. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , and .
- 1990. The Natural History of Blackflies. John Wiley & Johns, Chichester.
- 1975. Assembly of species communities. Pp. 342–444 in M. L. Cody and J. M. Diamond, eds. Ecology and Evolution of Communities. Harvard University Press, Cambridge.
- 1990. Mechanisms and consequences of interspecific competition between two stream insects. J. Anim. Ecol. 59:849–866. , , and .
- 2009. Predation leads to assembly rules in fragmented fish communities. Ecol. Lett. 12:663–671. , , , , and .
- 2010. Reducing over-reporting of deterministic coexistence patterns in biotic communities. Ecol. Model. 221:2237–2242. , and .
- 1982. Factors contributing to non-randomness in species coexistence on islands. Oecologia 52:75–84. , and .
- 2000. Null model analysis of species coexistence patterns. Ecology 81:2606–2621.
- 2002. Assembly rules for New England ant assemblages. Oikos 99:591–599. , and .
- 2006. EcoSim: Null Models Software for Ecology. Version 7. Acquired Intelligence and Kesey-Bear, Burlington. [http://homepages.together.net/~gentsmin/ecosim.htm]. , and .
- 1996. Null Models in Ecology. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington. , and .
- 2002. Species coexistence: a meta-analysis of J. M. Diamond's assembly rules model. Ecology 83:2091–2096. , and .
- 2011. Over-reporting bias in null model analysis: a response to Fayle and Manica (2010). Ecol. Model. 222:1337–1339. , and .
- 1966. Some distance properties of latent root and vector methods used in multivariate analysis. Biometrika 53:325–338.
- 1969. Ecological segregation of systematically related insects. Can. J. Zool. 47:691–694. , and .
- 1992. A meta-analysis of competition in field experiments. Am. Nat. 140:539–572. , , , and .
- 2011. Environmental and spatial controls of biotic assemblages in a discrete semi-terrestrial habitat: comparison of organisms with different dispersal abilities sampled in the same plots. J. Biogeogr. 38:1683–1693. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005a. Metacommunity patterns of highly diverse stream midges: gradients, checkerboards and nestedness, or is there only randomness? Ecol. Entomol. 30:590–599.
- 2005b. Positive relationship between regional distribution and local abundance in stream insects: a consequence of niche breadth or niche position? Ecography 28:345–354.
- 2009. Species co-occurrence, nestedness and guild-environment relationships in stream macroinvertebrates. Freshw. Biol. 54:1947–1959.
- 2011. A macroecological perspective of diversity patterns in the freshwater realm. Freshw. Biol. 56:1703–1722.
- 2008. Control of stream insects assemblages: roles of spatial configuration and local environmental variables. Ecol. Entomol. 33:614–622. , and .
- 2012. Context dependency and metacommunity structuring in boreal headwater streams. Oikos 121:537–544. , , , , and .
- 1988. Competition between two stream dwelling filter feeders, Hydropscyhe oslari and Simulium virgatum. Oecologia 77:73–80.
- 1983. The effect of physical disturbance on the relative abundances of two-filter feeding insects in a small stream. Oecologia 58:378–382. , and .
- 1957. Concluding remarks. Cold Springs Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 22:415–427.
- 1961. The invertebrate fauna of a Welsh mountain stream. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 57:344–388.
- 2010. Quantifying and disentangling dispersal in metacommunities: how close have we come? How far is there to go? Landscape Ecol. 25:495–507. , and .
- 2006. In search of quorum effects in metacommunity structure: species co-occurrence analyses. Ecology 87:1523–1531.
- 2011. Aggregative structure is the rule in communities of fleas: null model analysis. Ecography 34:751–761. , , and .
- 1995. A note on the analysis of species coexistences. Ecology 76:1109–1115.
- 1984. Competition for space, disturbance, and the structure of a benthic stream community. Ecology 65:894–908.
- 2006. Ecoregions as predictors of lotic assemblages of blackflies (Diptera: Simuliidae). Ecography 29:603–613. , and .
- 2012. Patterns of co-occurrence of stream insects and an examination of a causal mechanism: ecological checkerboard or habitat checkerboard? Insect Conserv. Diver., in press. , and .
- 1997. Species assemblages of larval blackflies (Diptera: Simuliidae): random or predictable? J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 16:760–770. , , and .
- 2006. The effect of sample duration on the efficiency of kick-sampling in two streams with contrasting substratum heterogeneity. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Vereiningung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie 29:1351–1355. , , and .
- National Board of Waters and the Environment. 1981. Vesihallinnon analyysimenetelmät. Publ. Nat. Board Wat. Finland 213:1–136.
- 2004. Patterns in the coexistence of fish species in streams: the role of site suitability, morphology and phylogeny versus species interactions. Oecologia 140:353–360.
- 2008. Plant species segregation on different spatial scales in semi-natural grasslands. J. Veg. Sci. 19:407–416. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The role of niche measures in explaining the abundance-distribution relationship in tropical lotic chironomids. Hydrobiologia 636:163–172. , , , , and .
- 1986. Review of parasitic associations of larval water mites (Acari: Parasitengona: Hydrachnida) with insect hosts. Can. Entomol. 118:407–472. , and .
- 1990. The checkerboard score and species distribution. Oecologia 85:74–79. , and .
- 2000. Invertebres d'Eau Douce. Systematique, Biologie, Ecologie. CNRS Editions, Paris. , , , and .
- 2006. A truce with neutral theory: local deterministic factors, species traits and dispersal limitation together determine patterns of diversity in stream invertebrates. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:476–484. , and .
- 1967. Microdistribution of benthic species (Ephemeroptera, Plecoptera, Trichoptera, Diptera: Simuliidae) in Lapland streams. Oikos 18:293–310.
- 2004. Species co-occurrence and neutral models: reassessing J.M. Diamond's assembly rules. Oikos 107:603–609.
- 2007. Metacommunity structure of pond macroinvertebrates: effects of dispersal mode and generation time. Ecology 88:1687–1695. , , and .