Connectivity in a pond system influences migration and genetic structure in threespine stickleback
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 492–502, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 492–502
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- Icelandic research council (Rannís). Grant Number: 090225022
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high quality genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:4692–4693. , and .
- 2000. genetix 4.02, logiciel sous WindowsTM pour la génétique des populations. Université de Montpellier II, Montpellier. , , , and .
- 1994. Evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and .
- 1970. Location of nest-sites of ducks in lake Mývatn area, North-East Iceland. Oikos 21:218–229.
- 2009. Variable progress toward ecological speciation in parapatry: Stickleback across eight lake-stream transitions. Evolution 63:1740–1753. , , and .
- 1970. Dispersion in a natural population of three-spined sticklebacks. Can. J. Zool. 48:1133–1135. , and .
- 2009. Phenotype-dependent native habitat preference facilitates divergence between parapatric lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 63:2004–2016. , , , , , .
- 1994. High resolution of human evolutionary trees with polymorphic microsatellites. Nature 368:455–457. , , , , , .
- 1996. A simple new method for estimating null allele frequency from heterozygote deficiency. Mol. Ecol. 5:453–455.
- 1999. The gas exchange of Carex species from eutrophic wetlands and its dependence on microclimatic and soil wetness conditions. Phys. Chem. Earth 24:117–120. , and .
- 2002. Introduction to remote sensing. Guilford Press, New York. .
- 2002. Is the partial Mantel test inadequate? Evolution 56:1871–1873. , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer, Sunderland. , and .
- 2006. Gene flow in complex landscapes: Testing multiple hypotheses with causal modeling. Am. Nat. 168:486–499. , , , and .
- 1859. The Origin of species John. Murray, London. .
- 1982. The palaeolimnology of Lake Mývatn, northern Iceland: Plant and animal microfossils in the sediment. Freshw. Biol. 12:63–82.
- 2011. Python based GIS tools for landscape genetics: Visualising genetic relatedness and measuring landscape connectivity. Meth. Ecol. Evol. 2:52–55.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 1999. Effects of river level fluctuation on plant species richness, diversity, and distribution in a floodplain forest in Central Amazonia. Oecologia 120:582–587. , and .
- 1980. Evolutionary change in small populations. Pp. 135–149in M. E. Soule, B.A. Wilcox, eds. Conservation biology, Sinauer, Sunderland. .
- 2006. Inbreeding avoidance through non-random mating in sticklebacks. Biol. Lett. 2:232–235. , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary biology. Sinauer, Sunderland. .
- 1995. FSTAT (version 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 2004. Impact of habitat fragmentation on genetic population structure of roach, Rutilus rutilus, in a riparian ecosystem. Conserv. Genet. 5:247–257. , , and .
- 1997. Principles of population genetics. Sinauer, Sunderland. , and .
- 2004. How much of the variation in adaptive divergence can be explained by gene flow? - An evaluation using lake-stream stickleback pairs. Evolution 58:2319–2331. , and .
- 2002. Adaptive divergence and the balance between selection and gene flow: lake and stream stickleback in the misty system. Evolution 56:1199–1216. , , and .
- 2005. Spatial genetic structure among and within populations of Primula sieboldii growing beside separate streams. Mol. Ecol. 14:149–157. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Sexual imprinting on ecologically divergent traits leads to sexual isolation in sticklebacks. Proc. R Soc. B Biol. Sci. 278:2604–2610. , , and .
- 1999. Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci from the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.). Mol. Ecol. 8:342. , , , and .
- 2008. The landscape genetics of yellow perch (Perca flavescens) in a large fluvial ecosystem. Mol. Ecol. 17:1702–1717. , , , and .
- 2010. Comparison of the Mantel test and alternative approaches for detecting complex multivariate relationships in the spatial analysis of genetic data. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:831–844. , and .
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of body shape and neutral genetic divergence in marine and lake populations of threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 19:1803–1812. , , , and .
- 1987. An exact test for Hardy-Weinberg and multiple alleles. Biometrics 43:805–811. , and .
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Europe. Evidence for multiple glacial refugia. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 46:167–182. , and .
- 2008. Identifying footprints of directional and balancing selection in marine and freshwater three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations. Mol. Ecol. 17:3565–3582. , , and .
- 2003. Landscape genetics: combining landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:189–197. , , , and .
- 1967. The detection of disease clustering and a generalized regression approach. Cancer Res. 27:209–220.
- 1942. Systematics and the origin of species. Columbia University Press, New York. .
- 2008. Landscape genetic analyses reveal cryptic population structure and putative selection gradients in a large-scale estuarine environment. Mol. Ecol. 17:3901–3916. , and .
- 2006. Isolation by resistance. Evolution 60:1551–1561.
- 1997. MICROSAT version 1.5b. Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford. .
- 2009. Can gene flow have negative demographic consequences? Mixed evidence from stream threespine stickleback. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 364:1533–1542. , and .
- 2010. Quantifying Bufo boreas connectivity in Yellowstone National Park with landscape genetics. Ecology 91:252–261. , , and .
- 2012. Drifting fronds and drifting alleles: range dynamics, local dispersal and habitat isolation shape the population structure of the estuarine seaweed Fucus ceranoides. J. Biogeogr. 39:1167–1178. , , , and .
- 2009. vegan: Community Ecology Package. R package version 2.0-5. http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=vegan (accessed August 5, 2012). , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Postglacial intra-lacustrine divergence of Icelandic threespine stickleback morphs in three neovolcanic lakes. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1870–1881. , , and .
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414:901–905. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Nonamplifying alleles at microsatellite loci - a caution for parentage and population studies. Mol. Ecol. 4:249–252. , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by PST and QTL-based FST in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16:891–905. , , , , and .
- 2008. Modeling genetic connectivity in sticklebacks as a guideline for river restoration. Evol. Appl. 1:475–488. , , , , , .
- 2012. Divergent selection and then what not: the conundrum of missing reproductive isolation in Misty Lake and stream stickleback. Int. J. Ecol. 2012: Article ID 902438. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics sofware for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 2001. Rapid genetic divergence in postglacial populations of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): the role of habitat type, drainage and geographical proximity. Mol. Ecol. 10:2435–2445. , , and .
- 2010. Local selection modifies phenotypic divergence among Rana temporaria populations in the presence of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 19:716–731. , , , and .
- 2012. Genome divergence during evolutionary diversification as revealed in replicate lake–stream stickleback population pairs. Mol. Ecol. 21:2852–2862. , , , and .
- 2009. Evidence for ecological speciation and its alternative. Science 323:737–741.
- 2009. Wolverine gene flow across a narrow climatic niche. Ecology 90:3222–3232. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Applications of landscape genetics in conservation biology: concepts and challenges. Conserv. Genet. 11:375–385. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Belgjarskógur, Iceland: phenotypic and genetic divergence at a small spatial scale. [Master's thesis], Department of Aquatic Biology, Hólar University College. .
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 1999. Spatial autocorrelation analysis of individual multiallele and multilocus genetic structure. Heredity 82:561–573. , and .
- 2005. Landscape genetics of the blotched tiger salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum). Mol. Ecol. 14:2553–2564. , , , and .
- 2010. Landscape genetics: where are we now? Mol. Ecol. 19:3496–3514. , , , , and .
- 1996. Genetic distances and reconstruction of phylogenetic trees from microsatellite DNA. Genetics 144:389–399. , and .
- 2008. Onesamp: a program to estimate effective population size using approximate Bayesian computation. Mol. Ecol. Res. 8:299–301. , , , and .
- 2012. R: a languge and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2000. Flooding tolerance of Carex species in relation to field distribution and aerenchyma formation. New Phytol. 148:93–103. , , , , and .
- 2009. Highly polymorphic microsatellite markers for the highly polymorphic strawberry poison-dart frog and some of its congeners. Conserv. Genet. 10:2033–2036. , and .
- 1951. The genetical structure of populations. Ann. Eugen. 15:323–354.
- 1965. The interpretation of population structure by F-statistics with special regard to systems of mating. Evolution 19:395–420.
- 1968. Evolution and the genetics of population, Vol. 1: genetics and biometric foundation. University of Chicago, Chicago. .
- 2012. Estimating landscape resistance to movement: a review. Landscape Ecol. 27:777–797. , , and .