Divergence of premating behaviors in the closely related species Drosophila subquinaria and D. recens
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 365–374, February 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(2): 365–374
- Issue online: 14 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 NOV 2012
- National Science Foundation
- UGA Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- 2004. Pheromone perception and behaviour in Drosphila. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 14:435–442.
- 2005. Gustatory perception and behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. Curr. Biol. 15:R673–R684. , and .
- 1994. Sexual Selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2008. Divergence in multiple courtship song traits between Drosophila santomea and D. yakuba. Ethology 114:728–736. , , and .
- 1996. Olfaction in Drosophila: from odor to behavior. Trends Genet. 12:175–180.
- 2005. Contrasting mutual sexual selection on homologous signal traits in Drosophila serrata. Am. Nat. 165:281–289. , and .
- 2000. The courtship song of African Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 13:143–150. , , , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass. , and .
- 2010. Is mate choice in Drosophila males guided by olfactory or gustatory pheromones? Anim. Behav. 79:1135–1146. , , and .
- 1986. Sexual selection, sexual isolation and the evolution of song in the Drosophila repleta group of species. Anim. Behav. 34:421–429. , and .
- 2005. Cuticular hydrocarbons: their evolution and roles in Drosophila pheromonal communication. Behav. Genet. 35:279–295.
- 2010. Drosophila female courtship and mating behaviors: sensory signals, genes, neural structures and evolution. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 20:764–769.
- 1986. Chemosensory elements of courtship in normal and mutant, olfaction-deficient Drosophila melanogaster. Behav. Genet. 16:375–405. , , and .
- 2012. Different sensory modalities are required for successful courtship in two species of the Drosophila willistoni group. Anim. Behav. 83:217–227. , , , and .
- 2002. The mechanical basis of Drosophila audition. J. Exp. Biol. 205:1199. , and .
- 2000. Courtship in Drosophila. Annu. Rev. Genet. 34:205–232. , and .
- 2006. A Drosophila male pheromone affects female sexual receptivity. Proc. R. Soc. B.-Biol. Sci. 273:315–323. , , and .
- 2008. Reproductive interference between animal species. Q. Rev. Biol. 83:257–282. , and .
- 2006. Insect odor and taste receptors. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 51: 113–135. , ., and .
- 2008. The evolution of reproductive character displacement conflicts with how sexual selection operates within a species. Evolution 62:1192–1203. , and .
- 1994. Courtship songs of the picture-winged Drosophila planitibia subgroup species. Anim. Behav. 47:1363–1374. , , and .
- 2005. Ecological, behavioral, and biochemical aspects of insect hydrocarbons. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 50: 371–393. , and .
- 2006. Asymmetrical reinforcement and Wolbachia infection in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 4:e325. , , , and .
- 2009. Sensory integration regulating male courtship behavior in Drosophila. PLoS ONE 4:1–13. , , and .
- 2006. Courtship behaviour of Drosophila melanogaster revisited. Anim. Behav. 72:1001–1012. , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary genetics of reproductive behavior in Drosophila: connecting the dots. Annu. Rev. Genet. 39:263–291. , and .
- 1997. Differences in male courtship song among species of the quinaria group of Drosophila. J. Insect Behav. 10:237–246. , , , and .
- 2001. Sexual selection and speciation. Trends in Ecol. and Evol. 16:364–371. , , , and .
- 1998. Sexual selection and natural selection in bird speciation. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. of Lond. Ser. B Biol. Sci. 353:251–260.
- 1994. Genetic variability of the interpulse interval of courtship song among some European populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity 72:459–464. , , and .
- 2007. The extent of variation in male song, wing and genital characters among allopatric Drosophila montana populations. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1591–1601. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Divergent selection and the evolution of signal traits and mating preferences. PLoS Biol. 3:1988–1995. , , , and .
- 1999. Wolbachia and the evolution of reproductive isolation between Drosophila recens and Drosophila subquinaria. Evolution 53:1157. , , and .
- 1974. Courtship behavior in Drosophila. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 19:385–405.
- 2007. Contemporary evolution of secondary sexual traits in the wild. Funct. Ecol. 21:422–433. , and .
- 2012. Investigating natural variation in drosophila courtship song by the evolve and resequence approach. Genetics 191: 633–642. , and .
- 2007. The depletion of genetic variance by sexual selection. Curr. Biol. 17:528–532. , , , and .
- 2007. Molecular architecture of smell and taste in Drosophila. Ann. Rev. Neurosci. 30: 505–533. , and .
- 2011. Gr39a, a highly diversified gustatory receptor in Drosophila, has a role in sexual behavior. Behav. Genet. 41:746–753. , , , and .
- 1960. New species of the quinaria group of Drosophila (Diptera, Drosophilidae). Southwest. Nat. 5:160–164.
- 2006. Genetics of divergence in male wing pigmentation and courtship behavior between Drosophila elegans and D. gunungcola. Heredity 96:383–395. , , and .