Ice-dependent winter survival of juvenile Atlantic salmon
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 523–535, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 523–535
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 OCT 2012
- Statkraft Energy AS
- Norwegian Institute for Nature Research
- ACIA 2006. Arctic Climate Impct Assessment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1998. Seasonal changes in the body composition of young riverine Atlantic salmon and brown trout. J. Fish Biol. 52:1272–1288. , and .
- 2008. High-arctic plant-herbivore interactions under climate influence. Adv. Ecol. Res. 40:275–298. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Seasonal matching of foraging to anticipated energy requirements in anorexic juvenile salmon. Proc. Biol. Sci. 263:13–18. , , and .
- 2008. Seasonal mortality and the effect of body size: a review and an empirical test using individual data on brown trout. Funct. Ecol. 22:663–673. , , and .
- 2003. Bigger is not always better for overwintering young-of-year steelhead. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 132:262–274. , and .
- 2009. Migratory behavior and survival rates of wild northern Atlantic salmon Salmo salar post-smolts: effects of environmental factors. J. Fish Biol. 75:1700–1718. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Response of Northern Hemisphere lake-ice cover and lake-water thermal structure patterns to a changing climate. Hydrol. Process. 25:2942–2953. , , , and .
- 2002. Survivorship of permanent-resident birds in a fragmented forested landscape. Ecology 83:844–857. , and .
- 2008. Variations in distribution and mobility of Atlantic salmon parr during winter in a small, steep river. Hydrobiologia 609:37–44. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Adaptation to ice-cover conditions in Atalntic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evol. Ecol. Res. 8:1–14. , and .
- 2004a. The importance of ice cover for energy turnover in juvenile Atlantic salmon. J. Anim. Ecol. 73:959–966. , , , and .
- 2004b. Energy-related juvenile winter mortality in a northern population of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 61:2358–2368. , , , and .
- 2007. Shelter availability affects behavior, size-dependent and mean growth of juvenile Atlantic salmon. Freshwater Biol. 52:1710–1718. , , , and .
- 2010. Adaptive winter survival strategies: defended energy levels in juvenile Atlantic salmon along a latitudinal gradient. P. Roy. Soc. B. 277:1113–1120. , , , , and .
- 2002. Tag retention and survival of age-0 Atlantic salmon following surgical implantation with passive integrated transponder tags. N. Am. J. Fish. Manage. 22:702–702. , and .
- 1995. Estimating energy density of fish. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 124:347–355. , and .
- 2011. Ice-cover effects on competitive interactions between two fish species. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:539–547. , , , , and .
- 2007. Causes and consequences of winter mortality in fishes. J. Fish Biol. 71:315–345.
- 2007. Life in the ice lane: the winter ecology of stream salmonids. River Res. Appl. 23:469–491. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the regulated River Alta: effects of altered water temperature on parr growth. River Res. Appl. 19:733–747.
- 2010. Prey availability and juvenile Atlantic salmon feeding during winter in a regulated subarctic river subject to loss of ice cover. Hydrobiologia 644:217–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Behavior, energetics, and associated mortality of young-of-the-year white perch (Morone americana) and yelloe perch (Perca flavescens) under simulated winter conditions. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 48:672–680. , and .
- 2009. A review of the likely effects of climate change on anadromous Atlantic salmon Salmo salar and brown trout Salmo trutta, with particular reference to water temperature and flow. J. Fish Biol. 75:2381–2447. , and .
- 2011. Ecology of Atlantic Salmon and Brown Trout. Springer, Heidelberg. , and .
- 2008. Linking climate change to lemming cycles. Nature 456:93–97. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals - a unified approach with case-studies. Ecol. Monogr. 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2008. Seasonal variation in size-dependent survival of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): performance of multistate capture-mark-recapture models. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 65:1649–1666. , and .
- 2002. Survival of stream-dwelling Atlantic salmon: effects of life history variation, season and age. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 131:838–854. , , and .
- 2010. Patterns in apparent survival of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) parr in relation to variable ice conditions throughout winter. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 67:1744–1754. , and .
- 2009. Does ice matter? Site fidelity and movements by Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) parr during winter in a substrate enhanced river reach. River Res. Appl. 25:773–787. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Historical trends in lake and river ice cover in the Northern Hemisphere. Science 289:1743–1746. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Movement, migration, and smolting of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:77–92. , , , and .
- 2008. Optimal annual routines: behavior in the context of physiology and ecology. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 363:301–319. , and .
- 1994. Length-dependent winter survival and lipd composition of age-0 largemouth bass in Bay Springs Reservoir. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 123:80–87. , and .
- 2006. Lipid class content as an indicator of critical periods for survival in juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Ecol. Freshw. Fish 15:572–577. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Is Atlantic salmon production limited by number of territories? J. Fish Biol. 65:1047–1055. , , and .
- 1979. Overwinter mortality of fingerling smallouth bass in relation to size, relative energy stores, and environmental temperature. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 108:130–136. , , and .
- 1985. Asymmetrical competition: are larger animals competitively superior? Amer. Nat. 126:261–266.
- 1983. The Ecological Implications of Body Size. CambridgeUniversity Press, Cambridge.
- 1989. Size-dependent overwintering mortality of young-of-the-year yellow perch (Perca flavescens): laboratory, in situ enclosure, and field experiments. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46:1958–1968. , and .
- 1993. Biological effects of river ice. Pp. 97–119 in T. Prowse and N. Gridley, eds. NHRI Sumposium Series. National Hydrology Research Institute, Saskatoon. , , , and .
- 2007. Weather-dependent survival: implications of climate change for passerine population processes. Ibis 149:357–364. , , and .
- 2004. Movements and habitat use by PIT-tagged Atlantic salmon parr in early winter: the influence of anchor ice. Freshwater Biol. 49:1026–1035. , , , , and .
- 2005. Climate-driven regime shifts in the biological communities of arctic lakes. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA. 102:4397–4402. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Effects of density-dependence and climate on the dynamics of a Svalbard reindeer population. Ecography 24:441–451. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mid-winter activity and movement of Atlantic salmon parr during ice formation events in a Norwegian regulated river. Hydrobiologia 582:81–89. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Twenty years of hydropower regulation in the River Alta: long-term changes in abundance of juvenile and adult Atlantic salmon. Hydrobiologia 609:9–23. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Shelter selection in juvenile Atlantic salmon, or why do salmon seek shelter in winter? J. Fish Biol. 52:42–49. , and .
- 1999. Progam MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46(Suppl.): 120–138. , and .