Cis-regulatory sequence variation and association with Mycoplasma load in natural populations of the house finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 655–666, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 655–666
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2012
- Swedish Research Council. Grant Number: 2009-693
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-IOS 0923088
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. J. Mol. Biol. 215:403–410. , , , and .
- 2003. Successful amplification of extremely GC-rich promoter regions using a novel ‘slowdown PCR’ technique. Pharmacogenetics 13:759–766. , and .
- 2008. Genomics of natural bird populations: a gene-based set of reference markers evenly spread across the avian genome. Mol. Ecol. 17:964–980. , and .
- 2012. Comparative genomics in birds: evidence for adaptive evolution in passerines from a house finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) transcriptome. In Review. , , and .
- 2009. Nucleotide variation, linkage disequilibrium and founder-facilitated speciation in wild populations of the zebra finch (Taeniopygia guttata). Genetics 181:645–660. and .
- 2010. Shared genetic polymorphisms among species: causes, challenges and opportunities for inferring evolutionary history. in P. R. Grant and R. B. Grant, eds. From field observations to mechanisms – a program in evolutionary biology. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , , and .
- 2005. Evolutionary analysis of the well characterized endo16 promoter reveals substantial variation within functional sites. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102:8591–8596. and .
- 2005. Haploview, analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps. Bioinformatics 21:263–265. , , , and .
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Mol. Ecol. 13:969–980. , and .
- 1990. Regulation of the major histocompatibility complex class-II genes: x, y and other letters of the alphabet. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 8:681–715. , and .
- 2008. High-speed developments in avian genomics. Bioscience 58:587–595. , , and .
- 2011. Rapid evolution of disease resistance is accompanied by functional changes in gene expression in a wild bird. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:7866–7871. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Innate immunity and the evolution of resistance to an emerging infectious disease in a wild bird. Mol. Ecol. 21:2628–2639. , , , , and .
- 2009. Multilocus phylogeography and phylogenetics using sequence-based markers. Genetica 135:439–455. , and .
- 2005. Reverse transcriptional profiling: non-correspondence of transcript level variation and proximal promoter polymorphism. BMC genomics 6:110. , and .
- 2008. JASPAR, the open access database of transcription factor binding profiles: new content and tools in the 2008 update. Nucleic Acids Res. 36:D102–D106. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Correlating gene expression variation with cis-regulatory polymorphism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genome Biol. Evol. 2:697–707. , , , and .
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. 2012. House finch disease survey. Available from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/hofi/news.html
- 1998. The 90-kDa molecular chaperone family: structure, function, and clinical applications. A comprehensive review. Pharmacol. Ther. 79:129–168. , , , , and .
- 2010. Multi-platform next-generation sequencing of the domestic turkey (Meleagris gallopavo): genome assembly and analysis. PLoS Biol. 8:e1000475. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Epidemic mycoplasmal conjunctivitis in house finches from eastern North America. J. Wildl. Dis. 34:265–280. , , and .
- 1987. A multiplicity of CCAAT box-binding proteins. Cell 50:863–872. , , , , and .
- 2011. Applications of next generation sequencing in molecular ecology of non-model organisms. Heredity 107:1–15. , and .
- 2008. Genetic basis of fitness differences in natural populations. Nature 452:169–175. , and .
- 1999. Heat-shock proteins, molecular chaperones, and the stress response: evolutionary and ecological physiology. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 61:243–282.
- 2003. Evolutionary and ecological functional genomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:651–657. , and .
- 2003. Effects of cyclosporin A on the immune responses and pathogenesis of a virulent strain of Mycoplasma gallisepticum in chickens. Avian Pathol. 32:495–502. , and .
- 2012. Population genetics of cis-regulatory sequences that operate during embryonic development in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Evol. Dev. 14:152–211. , , , and .
- 2000. Lymphocytic infiltration in the chicken trachea in response to Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection. Microbiology 146:1223–1229. , , , and .
- 2010. Variable tandem repeats accelerate evolution of coding and regulatory sequences. Annu. Rev. Genet. 44:445–477. , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting natural selection on cis-regulatory DNA. Genetica 129:7–18.
- 2001. Regulation of gene expression by GC-rich DNA Cis-elements. Cell Biol. Int. 25:17–31. , , and .
- 2012. Contrasting epidemic histories reveal pathogen-mediated balancing selection on class II MHC diversity in a wild songbird. PLoS ONE 7:e30222. , and .
- 2006. Molecular evidence for a founder effect in invasive house finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) populations experiencing an emergent disease epidemic. Mol. Ecol. 15:263–275. , , , and .
- 2008. Reconciling molecular signatures across markers: mitochondrial DNA confirms founder effect in invasive North American house finches (Carpodacus mexicanus). Conserv. Genet. 9:637–643. , , , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary genetics of Carpodacus mexicanus, a recently colonized host of a bacterial pathogen, Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Genetica 129:217–225. , , and .
- 1991. Plumage coloration is a sexually selected indicator of male quality. Nature 350:337–339.
- 1993. House finch (Carpodacus mexicanus). The birds of North America online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY. Available at http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna.html/species/046
- 2002. A red bird in a brown bag: the function and evolution of colorful plumage in the house finch. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 2005. Carotenoid-based plumage coloration predicts resistance to a novel parasite in the house finch. Naturwissenschaften 92:30–34. , and .
- 2005. Genome-wide association studies for common diseases and complex traits. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:95–108. , and .
- 2008. Simultaneous inference in general parametric models. Biom. J. 50:346–363. , , and .
- 2010. Handbook of the birds of the world weavers to new world warblers. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. , , and .
- 2005. Transcriptional regulation of the murine C5a receptor gene: NF-Y is required for basal and LPS induced expression in macrophages and endothelial cells. Mol. Immunol. 42:1405–1415. , , and .
- ICGSC. 2004. Sequence and comparative analysis of the chicken genome provide unique perspectives on vertebrate evolution. Nature 432:695–716.
- ICPMC. 2004. A genetic variation map for chicken with 2.8 million single-nucleotide polymorphisms. Nature 432:717–722.
- 2002. Major histocompatibility complex class II transcriptional platform: assembly of nuclear factor Y and regulatory factor X (RFX) on DNA requires RFX5 dimers. Mol. Cell. Biol. 22:5616–5625. , , , , and .
- 2004. A neutral model of transcriptome evolution. PLoS Biol. 2:682–689. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Toward a neutral evolutionary model of gene expression. Genetics 170:929–939. , , and .
- 1996. Mycoplasma gallisepticum isolated from house finches (Carpodacus mexicanus) with conjunctivitis. Avian Dis. 40:480–483. , , and .
- 1991. One subunit of the transcription factor NF-Y maps close to the major histocompatibility complex in murine and human chromosomes. Genomics 11:630–634. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 1998. Role of the CCAAT-binding protein CBF/NF-Y in transcription. Trends Biochem. Sci. 23:174–178. , and .
- 2008. Genome-wide association studies for complex traits: consensus, uncertainty and challenges. Nat. Rev. Genet. 9:356–369. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Faster-X evolution of gene expression in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 8:e1003013. , , and .
- 2007. Chemokine and cytokine gene expression profiles in chickens inoculated with Mycoplasma gallisepticum strains Rlow or GT5. Vaccine 25:8611–8621. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Measuring transcription factor-binding site turnover: a maximum likelihood approach using phylogenies. Genome Biol. Evol. 1:85–98. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Characterising functionally important and ecologically meaningful genetic diversity using a candidate gene approach. Genetica 138:419–432. , and .
- 1998. The hsp90-based chaperone system: involvement in signal transduction from a variety of hormone and growth factor receptors. Exp. Biol. Med. 217:420–434.
- 2010. New approaches to population stratification in genome-wide association studies. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11:459–463. , , , and .
- 1998. Molecular biology and pathogenicity of mycoplasmas. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 62:1094–1156. , , and .
- 2004. Positive selection on MMP3 regulation has shaped heart disease risk. Curr. Biol. 14:1531–1539. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Searching for disease susceptibility variants in structured populations. Genomics 93:1–4. , and .
- 2005. Quantitative trait locus mapping in natural populations: progress, caveats and future directions. Mol. Ecol. 14:363–379.
- 2002. Roles of heat-shock proteins in innate and adaptive immunity. Nature reviews. Immunology 2:185–194.
- 2008. Combining population genomics and quantitative genetics: finding the genes underlying ecologically important traits. Heredity 100:158–170. , and .
- 2002. Candidate-gene approaches for studying complex genetic traits: practical considerations. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3:391–397. , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) Software Version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 22:4673–4680. , , and .
- 2009. Heat shock proteins and immune system. J. Leukoc. Biol. 85:905–910. , and .
- 2009. Evolution of a malaria resistance gene in wild primates. Nature 460:388–391. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Heat-shock proteins as activators of the innate immune system. Trends Immunol. 23:130–135. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Reconciling actual and infected population histories in the house finch (Carpodacus mexicanus) by AFLP analysis. Evolution 37:2852–2864. , , , and .
- 2006. A cDNA macroarray approach to parasite-induced gene expression changes in a songbird host: genetic response of house finches to experimental infection by Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Mol. Ecol. 15:1263–1273. , , , and .
- 2010. The genome of a songbird. Nature 464:757–762. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Cis-regulatory elements: molecular mechanisms and evolutionary processes underlying divergence. Nat. Rev. Genet. 13:59–69. , and .
- 2007. The evolutionary significance of cis-regulatory mutations. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:206–216.
- 2001. DAMBE: data analysis in molecular biology and evolution. J. Hered. 92:371–373. , and .