New support for an old hypothesis: density affects extra-pair paternity
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 3, pages 694–705, March 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(3): 694–705
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2012
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 3100A0- 100150/1
- 1988. Comparative studies of avian DNA by restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis: convenient procedures based on blood samples from live birds. J. Ornithol. 129:205–216.
- 2002. The estimation of population differentiation with microsatellite markers. Mol. Ecol. 11:155–165. , and .
- 1996. The high frequency of extra pair paternity in tree swallows is not an artifact of nestboxes. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38:425–430. , , and .
- 1979. Mate guarding in the Magpie Pica pica. Anim. Behav. 27:866–874.
- 1992. Sperm competition in birds: evolutionary causes and consequences. Academic Press, London. , and .
- 1997. High frequency of extra-pair paternity in a dense and synchronous population of Willow warblers Phylloscopus trochilus. J. Avian Biol. 28:319–324. , and .
- 1991. Patterns of extra-pair fertilizations in Bobolinks. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 29:1–7. , and .
- 2006. Weather conditions affect levels of extra-pair paternity in the reed bunting Emberiza schoeniclus. J. Avian Biol. 37:238–244. , and .
- 2005. Male reed buntings do not adjust parental effort in relation to extrapair paternity. Behav. Ecol. 16:499–506. , , and .
- 2006. How female reed buntings benefit from extra-pair mating behaviour: testing hypotheses through patterns of paternity in sequential broods. Mol. Ecol. 15:2589–2600. , , and .
- 2003. A contrast in extra-pair paternity levels on mainland and island populations of mediterranean blue tits. Ethology 109:351–363. , and .
- 2004. Manipulation of nest-box density affects extra-pair paternity in a population of blue tits (Parus caeruleus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 56:360–365. , and .
- 1994. Paternal investment inversely related to degree of extra-pair paternity in the reed bunting. Nature 371:698–700. , , , and .
- 2007. Search costs influence the spatial distribution, but not the level of extra-pair mating in tree swallows. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61:449–454. , and .
- 1994a. Extra-pair paternity in tree swallows: why do females mate with more than one male? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 35:273–281. , , , and .
- 1994b. Effects of breeding density, synchrony, and experience on extrapair paternity in tree swallows. Behav. Ecol. 5:123–129. , , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of breeding density and plumage coloration on mate guarding and cuckoldry in blue grosbeaks (Passerina caerulea). Can. J. Zool. 83:1143–1148. , , , , and .
- 1999. Floater males gain reproductive success through extrapair fertilizations in the stitchbird. Anim. Behav. 58:321–328. , , and .
- 1990. Realized reproductive success of polygynous Red-Winged Blackbirds revealed by DNA markers. Science 250:1394–1397. , , , et al.
- 1997. Handbuch der Vögel Mitteleuropas. Aula, Wiesbaden. , and .
- 1991. Nestbox availability affects extra-pair fertilizations and conspecific nest parasitism in Eastern Bluebirds, Sialia sialis. Anim. Behav. 41:661–675. , and .
- 1996. Female control of offspring paternity in a western population of red-winged blackbirds (Agelaius phoeniceus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38:267–278.
- 1999. Contrasting levels of extra-pair paternity in mainland and island populations of the house sparrow (Passer domesticus): is there an ‘island effect’? Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 68:303–316. , , , , and .
- 2002. Extra-pair paternity in birds: a review of interspecific variation and adaptive function. Mol. Ecol. 11:2195–2212. , , and .
- 1995. Low frequency of extrapair paternity in the polygynous Great Reed Warbler, Acrocephalus arundinaceus. Behav. Ecol. 6:27–38. , , and .
- 1994. Sexual selection and cuckoldry in a monogamous songbird: implications for sexual selection theory. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 35:193–199. , , , and .
- 1997. An alternative route to coloniality in the bearded tit: females pursue extra-pair fertilizations. Behav. Ecol. 8:113–119. , and .
- 2005. Manipulation of male quality in wild tits: effects on paternity loss. Behav. Ecol. 16:747–754. , , , and .
- 1992. Extra-pair paternity results from female preference for high-quality males in the blue tit. Nature 357:494–496. , , , et al.
- 2005. No evidence for increased offspring heterozygosity from extrapair mating in the reed bunting (Emberiza scheniclus). Behav. Ecol. 16:561–565. , and .
- 2006. Lonely hearts or sex in the city? Density-dependent effects in mating systems. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 361:319–334. , and .
- 2001. Mate guarding in the Seychelles warbler is energetically costly and adjusted to paternity risk. Philos. Trans. R Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 268:2103–2111.
- 2000. Variation in the frequency of extra-pair paternity in birds: a comparison of an island and a mainland population of blue tits. Behaviour 137:1317–1330. , and .
- 1998. Extra-pair fertilizations in the sedge warbler. J. Avian Biol. 29:134–144. , , and .
- 2007. Ecological, social, and genetic contingency of extrapair behavior in a socially monogamous bird. J. Avian Biol. 38:214–223. , , and .
- 1998. Statistical confidence for likelihood-based paternity inference in natural populations. Mol. Ecol. 7:639–655. , , , and .
- 2005. Part-time mate guarding affects paternity in male reed buntings (Emberiza schoeniclus). Ethology 11:397–409. , , , and .
- 2008. Isolation, characterization and multiplex genotyping of eleven autosomal and four sex-linked microsatellite loci in the reed bunting Emberiza schoeniclus (Passeridae, Aves). Mol. Ecol. Notes 8:332–334. , , and .
- 2009. Patchy population structure in a short-distance migrant: evidence from genetic and demographic data. Mol. Ecol. 18:2353–2364. , , and .
- 1991. Density-dependent extra-pair copulations in the swallow Hirundo rustica. Ethology 87:316–329.
- 1998. Sperm competition and sexual selection: a meta-analysis of paternity studies of birds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 43:345–358. , and .
- 1999. Extrapair mating system of an asynchronously breeding tropical songbird: the mangrove swallow. Auk 116:1039–1046. , , and .
- 2012. The effects of anthropogenic alteration of nesting habitat on rates of extra-pair fertilization and intraspecific brood parasitism in Canada geese Branta canadensis. Ibis 154:354–362. , , , , and .
- 2004. Extrapair paternity in birds: understanding variation among species. Auk 121:302–307.
- 1997. Low frequency extra-pair paternity in the willow tit Parus montanus as revealed by DNA fingerprinting. Ibis 139:562–566. , , , et al.
- 2006. Fragmentation within and between wetland reserves: the importance of spatial scales for nest predation in reed buntings. Ecography 29:721–732. , and .
- 2008. Small and large wetland fragments are equally suited breeding sites for a ground-nesting passerine. Oecologia 156:703–714. , , , and .
- 2011. Source-sink status of small and large wetland fragments and growth rate of a population network. Pp. 216–238 in J. Liu, H. Vanessa, A. T. Morzillo, and J. A. Wiens, eds. Sources, sinks and sustainability. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. A language and environment for statistical computing. version 2.14.2. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Available via http://www.r-project.org
- 2001. No evidence for effects of breeding density and male removal on extrapair paternity in the pied flycatcher. Auk 118:147–155. , , , and .
- 1997. Ecological determinants of extrapair fertilizations and egg dumping in Alpine water pipits (Anthus spinoletta). Behav. Ecol. 8:534–543. , , , , and .
- 1999. Extra-pair paternity in relation to male age in Bullock's orioles. Mol. Ecol. 8:2115–2126. , and .
- 2012. The ecological–evolutionary interplay: density-dependent sexual selection in a migratory songbird. Ecol. Evol. 2:976–987. , , , and .
- 2006. Do food supply and reproductive success vary with wetland size?. University of Zurich, Master thesis.
- 2004. Extrapair paternity, migration, and breeding synchrony in birds. Behav. Ecol. 15:41–57. , and .
- 2010. Extra-pair paternity in eastern bluebirds: effects of manipulated density and natural patterns of breeding synchrony. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64:463–473. , , and .
- 2004. Habitat use by reed bunting Emberiza schoeniclus in an intensively used farmland in Western Poland. Ornis Fennica 81:137–143.
- 2007. Reed bunting females increase fitness through extra-pair mating with genetically dissimilar males. Proc. R Soc. B Biol. Sci. 274:2865–2871. , , , and .
- 1998. Does breeding density covary with extra-pair fertilizations in hooded warblers? J. Avian Biol. 29:145–154. , , , and .
- 2001. Extrapair paternity is influenced by breeding synchrony and density in the common yellowthroat. Behav. Ecol. 12:633–639. , , , and .
- 1998. Breeding synchrony and extra-pair mating in birds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 43:217–219. , and .
- 1993. Mutation of human short tandem repeats. Hum. Mol. Genet. 2:1123–1128. , and .
- 2005. Tests of spatial and temporal factors influencing extra-pair paternity in red-winged blackbirds. Mol. Ecol. 14:2155–2167. , and .
- 1997. Density and extra-pair fertilizations in birds: a comparative analysis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41:205–215. , and .
- 2003. Extra-pair paternity in birds: causes, correlates, and conflict. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34:365–396. , and .
- 1990. The ecology and evolution of extra-pair copulations in birds. Pp. 331–369 in D. M. Power, ed. Current ornithology. Plenum Publishing Corporation, New York. , , and .
- 1999. Extrapair paternity in a far northern population of yellow warblers Dendroica petechia. J. Avian Biol. 30:234–237. , , , , and .