Joint first authorship.
Genetic diversity and phylogenetic analysis of native mountain ponies of Britain and Ireland reveals a novel rare population
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 934–947, April 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(4): 934–947
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 DEC 2012
- IBERS PhD Scholarship (Aberystwyth University)
- Royal Society Research Grant 2010/R2
- 2012. Mitochondrial genomes from modern horses reveal the major haplogroups that underwent domestication. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 109:2449–2454. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. DNA markers reveal the complexity of livestock domestication. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:900–910. , , and .
- 2011. Demographic consequences of increased winter births in a large aseasonally breeding mammal (Bos taurus) in response to climate change. J. Anim. Ecol. 80:1134–1144. , , , , , and .
- 2000. The genetic structure of Spanish Celtic horse breeds inferred from microsatellite data. Anim. Genet. 31:39–48. , , , , , and .
- 1987. A Natural History of Domesticated Mammals. British Museum of Natural History, London.
- 1999. Parasite-mediated selection against inbred Soay sheep in a free-living, island population. Evolution 53:1259–1267. , , , and .
- 2003. Fine-scale genetic structure in a free-living ungulate population. Mol. Ecol. 12:733–742. , , and .
- 1993. An Introduction to Welsh Ponies and Cobs. Whittet Books, London, UK.
- 1999. The Welsh Cob. J. A. Allen and Co. Ltd., London, UK.
- 2001. 100 Glorious Years: The Welsh Pony and Cob Society 1901–2001. The Welsh Pony and Cob Society, UK.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: A new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2001. Indigenous domestic breeds as reservoirs of genetic diversity: the Argentinean Creole cattle. Anim. Genet. 32:240–247. , , , and .
- 2008. Preliminary investigation of morphological differences between ten breeds of horses suggests selection for paedomorphosis. J. Appl. Anim. Welf. Sci. 11:204–212. , , and .
- 2001. Possible genetic sources of free-living Wild Boar (Sus scrofa) in southern England. Mammal Rev. 31:245–248.
- 2010. Genetic diversity in farm animals: a review. Anim. Genet. 41:1–26. , , and .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 1995. Conserving livestock breed biodiversity. TREE 10:267–270. , and .
- 1986. Feral cattle of Swona Orkney Islands. Mammal Rev. 16:89–96. , and .
- 1994. Signature of ancient population growth in a low-resolution mitochondrial DNA mismatch distribution. Hum. Biol. 66:591–600.
- 1992. In situ conservation of livestock and poultry. Fao Anim. Pr. Health Paper 99:21–25. .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 2002. Mitochondrial DNA and the origins of the domestic horse. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 99:10905–10910. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The State of Birds in Wales 6. RSPB Cymru, Cardiff. , , and .
- 2008. Grazing as a management tool in dune grasslands: Evidence of soil and scale dependence of the effect of large herbivores on plant diversity. Biol. Conserv. 141:1687–1694. , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic structure of European sheep breeds. Heredity 99:620–631. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genetic diversity of a large set of horse breeds raised in France assessed by microsatellite polymorphism. Genet. Sel. Evol., 41:1–12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic diversity and relationships of Portuguese and other horse breeds cased on protein and microsatellite loci variation. Anim. Genet. 38:20–27. , , , and .
- 1994. The Genetics of Populations. Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station. College of Agriculture, Iowa State University, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2006a. Evidence for biogeographical patterning in mitochondrial DNA sequences in Eastern horse populations. Anim.Genet. 37:494–49. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006b. Mitochondrial DNA sequence diversity in extant Irish horse populations and in ancient horses. Anim. Genet. 37:498–502. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genetic diversity of European cattle breeds highlights the conservation value of traditional unselected breeds with high effective population size. Mol. Ecol. 18:3394–3410. , , and .
- 1990. The impact of large herbivores on the conservation of semi-natural woods in the British uplands. Forestry 63:333–353. , and .
- 2006. Current status, with reference to conservation grazing, of the Welsh Mountain (Section A) semi-feral pony following decoupling of farm subsidies through CAP reform in Wales – a scoping study, 220–222. [http://www.ccw.gov.uk/pdf/WMP-FINAL-REPORT-311006-PDF.pdf] .
- 2007. Genetic diversity in a feral horse population from Sable Island Canada. J. Hered. 98:594–602. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2012a. Genetic diversity and admixture among Canadian, Mountain and Moorland and Nordic pony populations. Animal 6:19–30. , , , , and .
- 2012b. Maternal lineages in native Canadian equine populations and their relationship to the Nordic and Mountain and Moorland pony breeds. J. Hered. 103:380–309. , , , and .
- 2012. Effects of a 10-year conservation programme on the genetic diversity of the Pottoka pony – new clues regarding their origin. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 129:234–243. , , , and .
- 2004. DISTRUCT: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 1993. Conservation of allelic richness in wild crop relatives is aided by assessment of genetic markers. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 90:10623–10627. , and .
- 1973. Numerical Taxonomy. Freeman, San Francisco. , and .
- 2005. Genetic diversity within and among four south European native horse breeds based on microsatellite DNA analysis: implications for conservation. J. Hered. 96:670–678. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Are cattle, sheep, and goats endangered species? Mol. Ecol. 17:275–284. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2005. Native breeds demonstrate high contributions to the molecular variation in northern European sheep. Mol. Ecol. 14:3951–3963. , , and .
- 2008. Genetic analysis, breed assignment and conservation priorities of three native Danish horse breeds. Anim. Genet. 39:496–505. , , and .
- 2006. Saving feral horse populations: does it really matter? A case study of wild horses from Doñana National Park in southern Spain. Anim. Genet. 37:571–578. , , , , and .
- 2001. Widespread origins of domestic horse lineages. Science 291:474–477. , , , , , , et al.
- Welsh Pony and Cob Society. 2002. The early years: a collection of articles from the early Welsh Stud Books, . vol 1–5. Welsh Pony and Cob Society, Aberystwyth, UK.
- 2003. Distribution and status of feral wild boar Sus scrofa in Dorset, southern England. Mammal Rev. 33:302–307.
- 2011. The indigenous domestic livestock of the County of Devon, England. Anim. Genet. Resour., 47:63–77. .