Structure of a mosaic hybrid zone between the field crickets Gryllus firmus and G. pennsylvanicus
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 985–1002, April 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(4): 985–1002
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 NOV 2012
- National Science Foundation grant to RGH
- American Association for University Women American Fellowship to ELL
- 1957. The taxonomy of the field crickets of the eastern United States (Orthoptera: Gryllidae: Acheta). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 50:584–602.
- 1968. Life cycle origins speciation and related phenomena in crickets. Q. Rev. Biol. 43:1–41.
- 2013. Patterns of transcriptome divergence in the male accessory gland of two closely related species of field crickets. Genetics 193:483–499. , , , and .
- 1981. Hybrid zones and speciation. Pp. 109–145 in W. R. Atchley and D. S. Woodruff, eds. Evolution and speciation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 1989. Adaptation, speciation and hybrid zones. Nature 341:497–503. , and .
- 2003. Introgression patterns in the mosaic hybrid zone between Mytilus edulis and M. galloprovincialis. Mol. Ecol. 12:447–461. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Testing hypotheses of adaptive variation in cricket ovipositor lengths. Oecologia 93:263–267. , , and .
- 2001. Spatial structure and habitat variation in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Evolution 55:1832–1843. , , and .
- 1992. Calling song and selective phonotaxis in the field crickets, Gryllus firmus and G. pennsylvanicus (Orthoptera, Gryllidae). J. Insect Behav. 5:555–569. , and .
- 1977. Geographic Variation, Speciation and Clines. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1990. On the measurement and classification of colour in studies of animal colour patterns. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 41:315–352.
- ESRI. 2009. Arcview v. 9.3.1., Redlands, CA.
- 1952. Speciation in the field cricket. Evolution 6:283–295.
- 2010. Secondary contact between Lycaeides idas and L. melissa in the Rocky Mountains: extensive admixture and a patchy hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 19:3171–3192. , , , , and .
- 1979. Flight polymorphism in the field cricket Gryllus pennsylvanicus. Oecologia 40:125–132.
- 1980. Dispersal polymorphisms in insects. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11:95–118.
- 1983. Barriers to gene exchange between closely related cricket species I. laboratory hybridization studies. Evolution 37:245–251.
- 1985. Barriers to gene exchange between closely related cricket species. II. life-cycle variation and temporal isolation. Evolution 39:244–259.
- 1986. Pattern and process in a narrow hybrid zone. Heredity 56:337–349.
- 1990. Hybrid zones: windows on evolutionary process. Pp. 69–128 in D. Futuyma and J. Antonovics, eds. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1993. Hybrids and hybrid zones: historical perspective. Pp. 3–12 in R. G. Harrison, ed. Hybrid Zones and the Evolutionary Process. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1982. A narrow hybrid zone between closely related cricket species. Evolution 36:535–552. , and .
- 1997. Patterns of variation and linkage disequilibrium in a field cricket hybrid zone. Evolution 51:493–505. , and .
- 1989. Mosaic hybrid zones and the nature of species boundaries. Pp. 111–133 in D. Otte and J. A. Endler, eds. Speciation and its Consequences. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 1987. Mitochondrial-DNA variation in field crickets across a narrow hybrid zone. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:144–158. , , and .
- 1988. Hybrid zones - natural laboratories for evolutionary studies. Trends Ecol. Evol. 3:158–167.
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. Int. J. Climatol. 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- 2007. Completion of the 2001 National Land Cover Database for the conterminous United States. Photogramm. Eng. Remote Sensing 73:337–341. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. A zone of overlap and hybridization between two ground cricket species. Evolution 40:34–43.
- 2008. Modeling terrain complexity. Pp. 159–176 in Q. Zhou, B. Lees and G. Tang, eds. Advances in Digital Terrain Analysis. Springer, Berlin.
- 2001. MRBAYES: Bayesian inference of phylogenetic trees. Bioinformatics 17:754–755. , and .
- 2012. Genome-wide architecture of reproductive isolation in a naturally occurring hybrid zone between Mus musculus musculus and M. m. domesticus. Mol. Ecol. 21:3032–3047. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V4. Available at http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org. Accessed September 10, 2012. , , , and .
- 1968. The concept of stasipatric speciation. Syst. Zool. 17:14–22.
- 2012. Post-mating prezygotic barriers to gene exchange between hybridizing field crickets. J. Evol. Biol. 25:174–186. , , , and .
- 2011. Assessming multilocus introgression patterns: a case study on the mouse X chromosome in central Europe. Evolution 65:1428–1446. , , , , , and .
- 2012. cluster: Cluster analysis basics and extensions. R package version 1.14.3. , , , , and .
- 2009a. Genealogical discordance and patterns of introgression and selection across a cricket hybrid zone. Evolution 63:2999–3015. , , and .
- 2009b. Multiple barriers to gene exchange in a field cricket hybrid zone. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 97:390–402. , , , and .
- 1979. Climatic adaptation and species status in the lawn ground cricket III. Ovipositor length. Oecologia 43:207–219.
- 2008. CLR. Queen's University, Kingston, ON.
- 2009. Variable patterns of introgression in two sculpin hybrid zones suggest that genomic isolation differs among populations. Mol. Ecol. 18:2615–2627. , , and .
- 2009. Divergent selection and heterogeneous genomic divergence. Mol. Ecol. 18:375–402. , , and .
- 2010. Using differential introgression in hybrid zones to identify genomic regions involved in speciation. Mol. Ecol. Res. 10:806–820.
- 2008. jModelTest: phylogenetic model averaging. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25:1253–1256.
- R Core Development Team 2010. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1989. Ecological genetics of a mosaic hybrid zone - mitochondrial, nuclear, and reproductive differentiation of crickets by soil type. Evolution 43:432–449. , and .
- 1990. The evolution of flightlessness in insects. Ecol. Monogr. 60:389–421.
- 2000. Ecological and environmental factors affecting the structure and maintenance of a mosaic hybrid zone between the field crickets, Gryllus firmus and G. pennsylvanicus. PhD thesis, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. .
- 2002. A fine-scale spatial analysis of the mosaic hybrid zone between Gryllus firmus and Gryllus pennsylvanicus. Evolution 56:2296–2312. , and .
- 2006. Viability selection on overwintering eggs in a field cricket mosaic hybrid zone. Oikos 115:53–68. , and .
- 2008. Scale-independent criteria and scale-dependent agents determining the structure of a ground cricket mosaic hybrid zone (Allonemobius socius – Allonemobius fasciatus). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 94:777–796. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The human footprint and the last of the wild. Bioscience 52:891–904. , , , , , and .
- SAS. 2012. JMP, Version 10. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2002. The fuzzy structure of populations. Can. J. Zool. 80:2235–2241. , and .
- 1993. Chromosomal hybrid zones in Eutherian mammals. Pp. 309–353 in R. Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994. Evolution, weighting, and phylogentic utility of mitochondrial gene-sequences and a compilation of conserved polymerase chain-reaction primers. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 87:651–701. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Soil Survey Geographic (SSURGO) Database [Pennsylvania State]. .
- 1991. The genetic-structure of the hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina-bombina and B-variegata - comparisons between transects and between loci. Evolution 45:237–261. , and .
- 2010. The variable genomic architecture of isolation between hybridizing species of house mice. Evolution 64:472–485. , , , , , and .
- USGS and FAO. 2000. Global forest resources assessment (FRA 2000)- global forest canopy density image. Available at http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/fao/forest_canopy_image.php. Accessed September 10, 2012.
- 1976. Seasonal abundance, sex ratio, and macroptery of field crickets in northern Florida. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 69:374–380. , , , and .
- 2002. Modern Applied Statistics with S. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2003. The maintenance of reproductive isolation in a mosaic hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina bombina and B-variegata. Evolution 57:1876–1888. , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. Mixed oviposition in individual females of Gryllus firmus: graded proportions of fast-developing and diapause eggs. Oecologia 47:291–298.
- 1997. Inferences about the origin of a field cricket hybrid zone from a mitochondrial DNA phylogeny. Heredity 79:484–494. , , and .
- 2001. The genic view of the process of speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 14:851–865.
- 2006. Hybridization of Bombina bombina and B-variegata (Anura, Discoglossidae) at a sharp ecotone in western Ukraine: comparisons across transects and over time. Evolution 60:583–600. , , , and .