Plasticity in above- and belowground resource acquisition traits in response to single and multiple environmental factors in three tree species
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 4, pages 1065–1078, April 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(4): 1065–1078
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2013
- Wallenberg Scholars Award
- New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's Science and Innovation Group
- 2000. The evolution of plant ecophysiological traits: recent advances and future directions. Bioscience 50:979–995. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Intraspecific functional variability: extent, structure and sources of variation. J. Ecol. 98:604–613. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Successional processes induced by fires on the northern offshore islands of New Zealand. N. Z. J. Ecol. 28:181–193.
- 2005. Burrow building in seabird colonies: a soil-forming process in island ecosystems. Pedobiologia 49:149–165. , , and .
- 1987. Methods for chemical analysis of soils. NZ Soil Bureau Scientific Report 80. Department of Sciences and Industrial Research, Wellington, NZ. , , , , and
- 1997. Plant competition underground. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:545–570. , and .
- 1991. Integrated responses of plants to stress. Bioscience 41:29–36. .
- 1987. Plant responses to multiple environmental factors. Bioscience 37:49–57. , , , and .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Aust. J. Bot. 51:335–380. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Community assembly and shifts in plant trait distributions across an environmental gradient in coastal California. Ecol. Monogr. 79:109–126. , and .
- 2005. Environmental constraints on a global relationship among leaf and root traits of grasses. Ecology 86:12–19. , , , , and .
- 1987. Morphological plasticity and mineral nutrient capture in two herbaceous species of contrasted ecology. New Phytol. 107:403–414. , and .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 1998. Plant functional traits and environmental filters at a regional scale. J. Veg. Sci. 9:113–122. , , and .
- 2000. Building roots in a changing environment: implications for root longevity. New Phytol. 147:33–42. , , , and .
- 2004. Photosynthesis, carboxylation and leaf nitrogen responses of 16 species to elevated pCO2 across four free-air CO2 enrichment experiments in forest, grassland and desert. Glob. Change Biol. 10:2121–2138. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Global allocation rules for patterns of biomass partitioning in seed plants. Science 295:1517–1520. , and .
- 2002. Spatial soil ecology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:177–183. , and .
- 2001. Photosynthetic acclimation of plants to growth irradiance: the relative importance of specific leaf area and nitrogen partitioning in maximizing carbon gain. Plant, Cell Environ. 24:755–767. , and .
- 2010. Evidence of the ‘plant economics spectrum’ in a subarctic flora. J. Ecol. 98:362–373. , , , and .
- 2012. A plant economics spectrum of litter decomposability. Funct. Ecol. 26:56–65. , , and .
- 2006. Above- and below-ground impacts of introduced predators in seabird-dominated island ecosystems. Ecol. Lett. 9:1299–1307. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Differences in plasticity between invasive and native plants from a low resource environment. J. Ecol. 96:1162–1173.
- 2010. Plant resource-use strategies: the importance of phenotypic plasticity in response to a productivity gradient for two subalpine species. Ann. Bot. 106:637–645. , , and .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes, and ecosystem properties. Wiley, New York.
- 1992. The dilemma of plants: To grow or defend. Q. Rev. Biol. 67:283–335. , and .
- 2006. Morphology and response of roots of pasture species to phosphorus and nitrogen nutrition. Plant Soil 286:7–19. , , , and .
- 2006. Phylogenetic and growth form variation in the scaling of nitrogen and phosphorus in the seed plants. Am. Nat. 168:E103–E122. , , , and .
- 2005. A modular concept of phenotypic plasticity in plants. New Phytol. 166:73–82. , , , and .
- 2009. A plant functional traits data base for the Alps – understanding functional effects of changed grassland management. Pp. 106–123 in E. Spehn and C. Körner, eds. Data Mining for Global Trends in Mountain Biodiversity. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The response of tropical tree seedlings to nutrient supply: meta-analysis for understanding a changing tropical landscape. J. Trop. Ecol. 19:239–250.
- 2010. Coordinated variation in leaf and root traits across multiple spatial scales in Chinese semi-arid and arid ecosystems. New Phytol. 188:543–553. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Interacting determinants of specific leaf area in 22 herbaceous species: effects of irradiance and nutrient availability. Plant, Cell Environ. 22:447–459. , and .
- 2011. Impacts of seabirds on plant and soil properties. Pp. 135–176 in C. P. H. Mulder, W. B. Anderson, D. R. Towns and P. J. Bellingham, eds. Seabird islands: ecology, invasion, and restoration. Oxford University Press, New York. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Specific root length as an indicator of environmental change. Plant Biosyst. 141:426–442. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Causes and consequences of variation in leaf mass per area (LMA): a meta-analysis. New Phytol. 182:565–588. , , , , and .
- 2012. Biomass allocation to leaves, stems and roots: meta-analyses of interspecific variation and environmental control. New Phytol. 193:30–50. , , , , , and .
- 2003a. Variation in growth rate and ecophysiology among 34 grassland and savanna species under contrasting N supply: a test of functional group differences. New Phytol. 157:617–631. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003b. The evolution of plant functional variation: traits, spectra, and strategies. Int. J. Plant Sci. 164:S143–S164. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Scaling of respiration to nitrogen in leaves, stems and roots of higher land plants. Ecol. Lett. 11:793–801. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Jack of all trades, master of some? On the role of phenotypic plasticity in plant invasions. Ecol. Lett. 9:981–993. , , , , and .
- 2000. The effect of tree height and light availability on photosynthetic leaf traits of four neotropical species differing in shade tolerance. Funct. Ecol. 14:77–86. , , and .
- 2007. Burrowing seabirds affect forest regeneration, Rangatira Island, Chatham Islands, New Zealand. N. Z. J. Ecol. 31:208–222. , , and .
- 2006. Plasticity in leaf traits of 38 tropical tree species in response to light; relationships with light demand and adult stature. Funct. Ecol. 20:207–216. , , and .
- 2006. The mysterious root length. Plant Soil 286:1–6.
- 2000. Consequences of phenotypic plasticity vs. interspecific differences in leaf and root traits for acquisition of aboveground and belowground resources. Am. J. Bot. 87:402–411. , and .
- 1995. Root and leaf attributes accounting for the performance of fast- and slow-growing grasses at different nutrient supply. Plant Soil 170:251–265. , and .
- 2002. The balanced-growth hypothesis and the allometry of leaf and root biomass allocation. Funct. Ecol. 16:326–331. , and .
- 2001. Dispersal of the environmental weed bridal creeper, Asparagus asparagoides, by silvereyes, Zosterops lateralis, in south-western Australia. Emu 101:39–45.
- 2000. Phenotypic plasticity for plant development, function and life history. Trends Plant Sci. 5:537–542.
- 2008. Predicting global change impacts on plant species' distributions: Future challenges. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 9:137–152. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Linking leaf and root trait syndromes among 39 grassland and savannah species. New Phytol. 167:493–508. , , , , and .
- 2002. Korapuki Island as a case study for restoration of insular ecosystems in New Zealand. J. Biogeogr. 29:593–607.
- 2006. Quantitative estimation of phenotypic plasticity: bridging the gap between the evolutionary concept and its ecological applications. J. Ecol. 94:1103–1116. , , and .
- 2007. Ecological limits to plant phenotypic plasticity. New Phytol. 176:749–763. , , and .
- 2005. Constraints on the evolution of adaptive phenotypic plasticity in plants. New Phytol. 166:49–60. , and .
- 2003. Luxury consumption of soil nutrients: a possible competitive strategy in above-ground and below-ground biomass allocation and root morphology for slow-growing arctic vegetation? J. Ecol. 91:664–676. , , , , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity of grass root anatomy in response to light intensity and nutrient supply. Ann. Bot. 88:1071–1078. , , and .
- 2004. Ecological linkages between aboveground and belowground biota. Science 304:1629–1633. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Indirect effects of invasive predators on litter decomposition and nutrient resorption on seabird-dominated islands. Ecology 90:452–464. , , , and .
- 2006. Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. Biol. Rev. 81:259–291. , , , and .
- 2006. The role of blackbirds (Turdus merula) in weed invasion in New Zealand. N. Z. J. Ecol. 30:285–291.
- 1999. Differences in seedling growth behaviour among species: trait correlations across species, and trait shifts along nutrient compared to rainfall gradients. J. Ecol. 87:85–97. , and .
- 2005. Modulation of leaf economic traits and trait relationships by climate. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 14:411–421. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Global response patterns of terrestrial plant species to nitrogen addition. New Phytol. 179:428–439. , and .
- 2005. Root morphological plasticity for heterogeneous phosphorus supply in Zea mays L. Plant Prod. Sci. 8:427–432. , and .