The geometry of the Pareto front in biological phenotype space
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1471–1483, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1471–1483
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2013
- European Union's Seventh Framework Programme. Grant Numbers: FP7/2007-2013, 249919
- Human Frontiers Science Program
- Israel Science Foundation. Grant Number: ISF 675/09
- 1983. Morphology, performance and fitness. Am. Zool. 23:347–361.
- 1991. A trade-off between scale and precision in resource foraging. Oecologia 87:532–538. , , and .
- 1986. Sets of efficient points in a normed space. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 117:506–528. , and .
- 2005. Optimal Performance of the Heat-Shock Gene Regulatory Network. in Proceedings 16th IFAC World Congress, Prague. , , , and .
- 2001. Optimality and evolutionary stability under short-term and long-term selection. Pp. 161–190 in E. Sobe and S. Orzack eds. Adaptationism and optimality. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 1995. Theories of optimization, form and function in branching architecture in plants. Funct. Ecol. 9:355. , and .
- 1998. Principles of Population Genetics. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2009. Extinctions in heterogeneous environments and the evolution of modularity. Evolution 63:1964–1975. , , , , and .
- 2009. Functional–structural models optimize the placement of foliage units for multiple whole-canopy functions. Ecol. Res. 25:723–732.
- 2010. Evolution and development of shape: integrating quantitative approaches. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11:623–635.
- 1967. On a pair of dual nonlinear programs. Pp. 38–54 in J. Abadie, ed. Methods of nonlinear programming. North-Holland, Amsterdam. .
- 1987. Ecological morphology and flight in bats (Mammalia; Chiroptera): wing adaptations, flight performance, foraging strategy and echolocation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 316:335–427. , and .
- 2005. The genetic theory of adaptation: a brief history. Nat. Rev. Genet. 6:119–127.
- 2001. Adaptationism and optimality. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 1979. Caste and ecology in the social insects. (MPB-12). Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 2008. Facilitated variation: how evolution learns from past environments to generalize to new environments. PLoS Comput. Biol. 4:e1000206. , , and .
- 1994. Exploring fitness surfaces. Am. Nat. 597–616. , and .
- 2012. Evolutionary trade-offs, pareto optimality, and the geometry of phenotype space. Science 336:1157–1160. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. OUP Oxford, New York.
- 1986. Multiple criteria optimization: theory, computation, and application. Wiley, New York.
- 1984. Some properties of location problems with block and round norms. Oper. Res. 1309–1327. , , and .
- 2000. Phenotypic clines, plasticity, and morphological trade-offs in an intertidal snail. Evolution 54:151–166.
- 2001. Speed and stamina trade-off in lacertid lizards. Evolution 55:1040–1048. , , and .
- 2005. Many-to-one mapping of form to function: a general principle in organismal design? Integr. Comp. Biol. 45:256–262. , , , and .
- 2012. Pareto evolution of gene networks: an algorithm to optimize multiple fitness objectives. Phys. Biol. 9:056001. , , and .