Terrestrial chemical cues help coral reef fish larvae locate settlement habitat surrounding islands
Article first published online: 10 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 586–595, December 2011
How to Cite
Dixson, D. L., Jones, G. P., Munday, P. L., Pratchett, M. S., Srinivasan, M., Planes, S. and Thorrold, S. R. (2011), Terrestrial chemical cues help coral reef fish larvae locate settlement habitat surrounding islands. Ecology and Evolution, 1: 586–595. doi: 10.1002/ece3.53
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 10 NOV 2011
- Received: 20 September 2011; Accepted: 21 September 2011
- 2007. Conservation hotspots of biodiversity and endemism for Indo-Pacific coral reef fishes. Aquat. Conserv.: Mar. Freshwat. Ecosyst. 18:541–556. doi: 10.1002/aqc.880
- 1998. Marine reserves are necessary but not sufficient for marine conservation. Ecol. Appl. 8:S79–S92. , , and .
- 2007. Local replenishment of coral reef fish population in a marine reserve. Science 316:742–744. , , , , and .
- 2006. Conservation, precaution and Caribbean reefs. Coral Reefs. 25:441–450. doi: 10.1007/s00338-006-0122-9 , and .
- 1996. Do the anemonefish Amphiprion ocellaris (Pisces: Pomacentridae) imprint themselves to their host sea anemone Heteractis magnifica (Anthozoa Actinidae)? Ethology 102:197–211. , and .
- 2006. The importance of chemical environmental cues for juvenile Lethrinus nebulosis Forsskål (Lethrinidae, Teleostei) when settling into their first benthic habitat. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 388:112–122. , and .
- 1999. Host recognition and possible imprinting in the anemonefish Amphiprion melanopus (Pisces: Pomacentridae). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 188:207–218. , , , and .
- 1988. Sensory biology of aquatic organisms. Pp. 29–56 in P.F. Sale, ed. Coral reef fishes: dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Springer-Verlag, Berlin . , , , and .
- 2002. Larval reef fish could use odour for detection, retention and orientation to reefs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 241:151–160. , , and .
- 1995. The role of sense organs in the feeding behaviour of juvenile sole and plaice. J. Fish Biol. 47:931–939. , and .
- 2003. The sea around: conservation planning in marine regions. Pp. 319–344 in C.R. Groves, ed. Drafting a conservation blue print: a practitioner's guide to planning biodiversity. Island Press, Washington , DC .
- 2010. Conservation planning for connectivity across marine, freshwater, and terrestrial realms. Biol. Conserv. 143:565–575. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Role of coral-derived chemical cues in microhabitat selection by settling Chromis viridis. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 409:181–187. , , and .
- 1992. Larval settlement patterns and preferences by domino damselfish, Dascyllus albisella Gill. J. Exp. Mar. Biol.Ecol. 155:85–104.
- 2000. Recruitment of damselfish in one tree lagoon: persistent interannual spatial patterns. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 202:219–230. , , , and .
- 1997. Estimates of coastal populations. Science 278:1209–1213. , , , , and .
- 2009. Larval dispersal and marine population connectivity. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 1:443–466. , and .
- 1983. High energy reef and terrigenous sedimentation, boulder reef, great barrier reef. BMR J. Aust. Geol. Geophys. 8:201–209. , and .
- 1978. Chemical stimuli as a factor in feeding and intraspecific behavior of herring larvae. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U. K. 58:739–747.
- 2008. Coral reef fish smell leaves to find island homes. Proc. R. Soc. B 275:2831–2839. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ocean acidification disrupts innate ability of fish to detect predator olfactory cues. Ecol. Lett. 13:68–75. , , and .
- 1994. Experimental evidence of chemokensis in newly hatched cod larvae (Gadus morhua). Mar. Biol. 120:351–358. , , , and .
- 1995. Host selection, location and association behaviors of anemone fishes in field settlement experiments. Mar. Biol. 122:377–389. , , and .
- 2008. Managing mangroves with benthic biodiversity in mind: moving beyond roving banditry. J. Sea Res. 59:2–15.
- 2005. Establishing representative no-take areas in the great barrier reef: large-scale implementation of theory on marine protected areas. Conserv. Biol. 19:1733–1744. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The influence of swimming speed on sustained swimming performance of late-stage reef fish larvae. Mar. Biol. 140:801–807. , and .
- 2007. Smelling home can prevent dispersal of reef fish larvae. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104:858–863. , , , , and .
- 1974. The island mass effect on the phytoplankton and primary production of the Hawaiian Islands. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 16:181–204. , and .
- 2009. Separating natural responses from experimental artifacts: habitat selection by a diadromous fish species using odours from conspecifics and natural stream water. Oecologia 159:679–687. , , and .
- 2010. Rising to the challenge of sustaining coral reef resilience. Trend Ecol. Evol. 25:633–642. , , , , and .
- 2002. The three screen doors: can marine “protected” areas be effective? Mar. Pollut. Bull. 44:1177–1183. doi: 10.1016/S0025-326X(02)00258-8 , , and .
- 2002. Rarity in coral reef fish communities. Pp. 81–101 in P.F. Sale, ed. Coral reef fishes. Dynamics and diversity in a complex ecosystem. Academic Press, San Diego . , , and .
- 2004. Coral decline threatens fish biodiversity in marine reserves. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 101:8251–8253. doi: 10.1073/pnas.040127710 , , , and .
- 2002. Sensory environments, larval abilities and local self recruitment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 70:309–340. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Feeding behaviour of North Sea turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) and Dover sole (Solea solea) larvae elicited by chemical stimuli. Mar. Biol. 113:543–548.
- 1997. Visual and chemical cues stimulate microdiet ingestion of sea bream larvae. Aquacult. Int. 5:527–536. , , and .
- 1996. Indo-pacific population structure and evolutionary history of the coconut crab Birgus latro. Mol. Ecol. 5:557–570. , , and .
- 2005. Experimental assessment of sensory modalities of coral reef fish larvae in recognition of their settlement habitat. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 58:18–26. , , .
- 2007. Behaviour as input for modeling dispersal of fish larvae: behavior, biogeography, hydrodynamics, ontogeny, physiology, and phylogeny meet hydrography. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 347:185–193.
- 2011. How Nemo finds home: the neuroecology of dispersal and of population connectivity in larvae of marine fishes. Integr. Comp. Biol. doi: 10.1093/icb/ICR004 , , and .
- 2002. Discrimination of New Zealand stream waters by grass eels of Anguilla australis and Anguilla dieffenbachii. J. Fish Biol. 61:785–800. and .
- 2003. Coral record of increased sediment flux to the inner great barrier reef since European settlement. Nature 421:727–730. doi: 10.1038/nature01361 , , , , , and .
- 2006. Sound as an orientation cue for the pelagic larvae of reef fishes and decapods crustaceans. Adv. Mar. Biol. 51:143–196. , , , , and .
- 2003. Toward an ecological synthesis: a case for habitat selection. Oecologia. 136:1–13. doi: 10.1007/s00442-003-1241-4
- 2004. Mangroves enhance the biomass of coral reef fish communities in the Caribbean. Nature 427:533–536. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Importance of shallow-water biotopes of a Caribbean bay for juvenile coral reef fishes: patterns in biotope association, community structure and spatial distribution. Mar. Ecol. 202:175–192. , , , , and .
- 2002. How important are mangroves and seagrass beds for coral-reef fish? The nursery hypothesis tested on an island scale. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 244:299–305. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. The habitat function of mangroves for terrestrial and marine fauna: a review. Aquat. Bot. 89:155–185. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The propagation and ecological influence through heterogeneous environmental space. BioScience 51:939–950. , and .
- 1981. A theory of habitat selection. Ecology 62:327–335. doi: 10.2307/1936707
- 2002. Chemical mediation of colonization of seaweed surfaces. J. Phycol. 38:621–629. , and .
- 1998. Nocturnal orientation to reefs by late pelagic stage coral reef fishes. Coral Reefs. 17:103–110. , and .
- 2005. Integrated coastal reserve planning: making the land-sea connection. Front. Ecol. Environ. 3:429–436. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Influence of conspecifics on choice of settlement sites by larvae of two pomacentrid fishes (Dascyllus aruanus and D. reticulates) on coral reefs. Mar. Biol. 75:225–229.
- 1988. Field evidence that settling coral reef fish larvae detect resident fishes using dissolved chemical cues. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 124:163–174.
- 2010. A review on the role of chemical cues in habitat selection by barnacles: new insights from larval proteomics. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 392:22–36.
- 2002. Human-mangrove conflicts: the way out. Curr. Sci. Ind. 83:1328–1336. , , and .
- 2001. Mangrove forests: one of the world's threatened major tropical environments. BioScience 51:807–815. , , .
- 2010. The importance of the olfactory sense to migratory sea lampreys Petromyzon marinus seeking riverine spawning habitat. J. Fish Biol. 76:949–964. , , .
- 2000. Induction of metamorphosis in the sea urchin Holopneustes purpurascens by a metabolite complex from the algal host Delisea pulchra. Biol. Bull. 198:332–345. , , , , and .
- 1994. Physical oceanographic processes of the great barrier reef. CRC Press, Boca Raton .