Pathways of introduction of the invasive aquatic plant Cabomba caroliniana
Article first published online: 15 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1427–1439, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1427–1439
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 15 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 OCT 2012
- Canadian Aquatic Invasive Species Network
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- National Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- Canada Research
- 2008. Flow cytometric analysis in Lagenaria siceraria (Cucurbitaceae) indicates correlation of genome size with usage types and growing elevation. Plant Syst. Evol. 276:9–19. , , , and .
- 2007. Phylogeography of the invasive seaweed Asparagopsis (Bonnemaisoniales, Rhodophyta) reveals cryptic diversity. Mol. Ecol. 16:2285–2299. , , , and .
- 2011. Genetic population structure of the invasive signal crayfish Pacifastacus leniusculus in Japan inferred from newly developed microsatellite markers. Plankton Benthos Res. 6:187–194. , , , , and .
- 2005. Hybridization and genome size evolution: timing and magnitude of nuclear DNA content increases in Helianthus homoploid hybrid species. New Phytol. 167:623–630. , , and .
- 2011. The effects of rapid desiccation on estimates of plant genome size. Chromosome Res. 19:825–842. , , , , , , et al.
- 1965. Characteristics and modes of origin in weeds. Pp. 145–168 in H. G. Baker and G. L. Stebbins, eds. The genetics of colonizing species. Academic Press, New York.
- 2002. Genetic variation in Bromus tectorum (Poaceae): differentiation in the eastern United States. Am. J. Bot. 89:602–612. , , and .
- 2007. On the origin of invasive olives (Olea europaea L. Oleacea). Heredity 99:608–619. , , , , and .
- 1992. Flow cytometric determination of nuclear replication stages in tomato seeds during priming and germination. Ann. Bot. 69:231–236. , , , and .
- 2012. The use of molecular tools in invasion biology: an emphasis on freshwater ecosystems. Fish. Manage. Ecol. 19:120–132.
- 2008. DNA sequences identify invasive Cardamine at Lake Constance. Biol. Conserv. 141:692–698. , , , and .
- 2007. Molecular approaches to the study of invasive seaweeds. Bot. Mar. 50:285–296. , , and .
- 2007. Marine biogeography and ecology: invasions and introductions. J. Biogeogr. 34:193–198.
- 2010. Emerging invasive alien plants for the Mediterranean Basin. OEPP/EPPO Bull. 40:219–238. , , , and .
- 2006. What have exotic plant invasions taught us over the past 20 years? Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:369–374. , and .
- 2012. Cabomba caroliniana. USGS Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Database. Gainesville, FL. Available at http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=231 (accessed 28 March 2012).
- 2000. TCS: a computer program to estimate gene genealogies. Mol. Ecol. 9:1657–1660. , , and .
- 1990. Seed Dispersal of Nymphoides peltata (S.G. Gmelin) O. Kuntze (Menyanthaceae). Aquat. Bot. 37:325–340.
- 2007. The beginning of a new invasive plant: a history of the ornamental Callery Pear in the United States. Bioscience 57:956–964. , and .
- 2008. How to use genetic data to distinguish between natural and human-mediated introduction of Littorina littorea to North America. Biol. Invasions 10:1–6.
- 1984. Flow-cytometric characterization and sorting of plant chromosomes. Theor. Appl. Genet. 67:463–467. , and .
- 2007. Biological and ecological characteristics of invasive species: a gammarid study. Biol. Invasions 9:13–24. , and .
- 2005. Plant DNA flow cytometry and estimation of nuclear genome size. Ann. Bot. 95:99–110. , and .
- 2007. Estimation of nuclear DNA content in plants using flow cytometry. Nat. Protoc. 2:2233–2244. , , and .
- 2010. The lack of genetic bottleneck in invasive Tansy ragwort populations suggests multiple source populations. Basic Appl. Ecol. 11:244–250. , , , and .
- 2005. Molecular evidence for multiple introductions of garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata, Brassicaceae) to North America. Mol. Ecol. 14:1697–1706. , , , and .
- 2003. Population genetic consequences of extreme variation in sexual and clonal reproduction in an aquatic plant. Mol. Ecol. 12:331–334. , , , , and .
- 2008. Nuclear DNA amount and genome downsizing in natural and synthetic allopolyploids of the genera Aegilops and Triticum. Genome 51:616–627. , , , , and .
- 2010. Reconstructing routes of invasion using genetic data: why, how and so what? Mol. Ecol. 19:4113–4130. , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2008. High genetic variance in life-history strategies within multiple populations by way of multiple introductions. Curr. Biol. 18:363–367. , , , , and .
- 2008. Multiple multilocus DNA barcodes from the plastid genome discriminate plant species equally well. PLoS ONE 3:e2802. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. High genetic diversity in French invasive populations of common ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia, as a result of multiple sources of introduction. Mol. Ecol. 14:4275–4285. , , and .
- 2011. Multiple introductions and invasion pathways for the invasive ctenophore Mnemiopsis leidyi in Eurasia. Biol. Invasions 13:679–690. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Intraspecific variation in genome size in angiosperms: identifying its existence. Ann. Bot. 95:91–98.
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl. Acids. Symp. Ser. 41:95–98.
- 2000. Evolution of macrophyte control in 38 Florida lakes using triploid grass carp. J. Aquat. Plant Manag. 38:48–54. , , , and .
- 2007. The impacts of the non-native macrophyte Cabomba caroliniana on littoral biota of Kasshabog Lake, Ontario. J. Great Lakes Res. 33:487–504. , , and .
- 2002. Catalogue of non-native vascular plants occurring spontaneously in California beyond those addressed in The Jepson Manual – Part 1. Madroño 49:61–98. , , , , and .
- 2009. Modeling the spread of the invasive macrophyte Cabomba caroliniana. Freshw. Biol. 54:296–305. , and .
- 2000. Invasive aquatic species in Ontario: a review and analysis of potential pathways for introduction. Fisheries 30:21–30. , , and .
- 2006. Ecological consequences of biological invasions: three invertebrate case studies in the north-eastern Baltic Sea. Helgol. Mar. Res. 60:106–112. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Using DNA barcodes to identify flowering plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 102:8369–8374. , , , , and .
- 2007. Applications of flow cytometry to evolutionary and population biology. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38:847–876. , , and .
- 2007. Increased genetic variation and evolutionary potential drive the success of an invasive grass. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 104:3883–3888. , and .
- 2004. Genome downsizing in polyploid plants. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 82:651–663. , and .
- 2011. Comparative phylogeography of two colonial ascidians reveals contrasting invasion histories in North America. Biol. Invasions 13:635–650. , , , , and .
- 1999. Introduction of nonindigenous aquatic vascular plants in southern New England: a historical perspective. Biol. Invasions 1:281–300. , and .
- 2006. Genetic diversity of alligator weed ecotypes is not the reason for their different responses to biological control. Aquat. Bot. 85:155–158. , and .
- 2007. Nuclear DNA content estimations in wild olive (Olea europaea L. ssp. Europaea var. sylvestris Brot.) and Portuguese cultivars of O. europaea using flow cytometry. Genet. Resour. Crop Evol. 54:21–25. , , , and .
- 2006. Macrophyte species assemblages and distribution in a shallow, eutrophic lake. Northeast. Nat. 13:443–453. , and .
- 1997. The biology of Australian weeds 32. Cabomba caroliniana Gray. Plant Prot. Q. 12:154–165. , and .
- 2000. Monitoring Hydrilla using two RAPD procedures and the non-indigenous aquatic species database. J. Aquat. Plant Manag. 38:33–40. , , and .
- 2012. Genome size and base composition variation in natural and experimental Narcissus (Amaryllidaceae) hybrids. Ann. Bot. 109:257–264. , , , and .
- 2008. Evidence for multiple introductions of Centaurea stoebe micranthos (spotted knapweed, Asteracea) to North America. Mol. Ecol. 17:4197–4208. , , and .
- 2003. IPANE: Invasive Plant Atlas of New England. Department of ecology and evolutionary biology. University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT. Available at http://ipane.org/ (accessed 28 March 2012). , , , , and .
- 2005. Development of inland lakes as hubs of an invasion network. J. Appl. Ecol. 42:80–90. , and .
- 2007. Genetic population structure of the Hawaiian alien invasive seaweed Acanthophora spicifera (Rhodophyta) as revealed by DNA sequencing and ISSR analyses. Pac. Sci. 61:223–233. , and .
- 2009. Inferring the introduction history of the invasive apomictic grass Cortaderia jubata using microsatellite markers. Divers. Distrib. 15:148–157. , , and .
- 1991. The genus Cabomba (Cabombaceae) – a taxonomic study. Nord. J. Bot. 11:179–203.
- 2009. Changes in genome size in a fragmented distribution area: the case of Artemisia crithmifolia L. (Asteraceae, Anthemideae). Caryologia 62:152–160. , , , and .
- 2009. Applications of non-coding DNA in intraspecific analyses. Plant Syst. Evol. 282:282–294. , , and .
- 2000. Sunflower (Helianthus annus) leaves contain compounds that reduce nuclear propidium iodide fluorescence. Ann. Bot. 86:929–934. , , and .
- 2005. Tracking the invasive history of the green alga Codium fragile ssp. tomentosoides. Mol. Ecol. 14:189–194. , , and .
- 2011. Alien plants introduced by different pathways differ in invasion success: unintentional introductions as a threat to natural areas. PLoS ONE 6:e24890. , , and .
- 2012. Introduction pathway and climate trump ecology and life history as predictors of establishment success in alien frogs and toads. Ecol. Evol. 2:1437–1445. , , and .
- 1998. Pathways, mechanisms, and rates of polyploid formation in flowering plans. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29:467–501. , and .
- 2008. Phylogeography of the widespread marine invader Microcosmus squamiger (Ascidiacea) reveals high genetic diversity of introduced populations and non-independent colonizations. Divers. Distrib. 14:818–828. , , and .
- 2006. Predicting the response of Cabomba caroliniana populations to biological control agent damage. Aust. J. Entomol. 45:327–330. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic data reveal a multiple origin for the populations of the Italian wall lizard Podarcis sicula (Squamata: Lacertidae) introduced in the Iberian Peninsula and Balearic islands. Ital. J. Zool. 79:502–510. , , and .
- 1985. Rare alleles as indicators of gene flow. Evolution 39:53–65.
- 2009. Complex pattern of genome size variation in a polymorphic member of the Asteraceae. J. Biogeogr. 36:372–384. , , , and .
- 2006. DNA ploidy levels and intraspecific DNA content variability in Romanian fescues (Festuca, Poaceae) measured in fresh and herbarium material. Folia Geobot. 41:417–432.
- 2006. Intraspecific DNA content variability in Festuca pallens on different geographical scales and ploidy levels. Ann. Bot. 98:6565–6678. , and .
- 2006. Reliable DNA ploidy determination in dehydrated tissues of vascular plants by DAPI flow cytometry – new prospects for plant research. Cytom. Part A 69A:273–280. , and .
- 1991. Universal primers for amplification of three non-coding regions of chloroplast DNA. Plant Mol. Biol. 17:1105–1109. , , , and .
- 2011. Molecular markers reconstruct the invasion history of variable leaf watermilfoil (Myriophyllum heterophyllum) and distinguish it from closely related species. Biol. Invasions 13:1687–1709. , , , , and .
- 2008. The introduction history of invasive garden ants in Europe: integrating genetic, chemical and behavioural approaches. BMC Biol. 6:11. doi: 10.1186/1741-7007-6-11. , , , , , and .
- United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service. 2007. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center. Greensboro, NC. Available at http://plants.usda.gov (accessed 28 March 2012).
- 2009. Ecological differentiation among genotypes of dandelions (Taraxacum officinale). Weed Sci. 57:410–416. , , and .
- 2006. Genome size in Bituminaria bituminosa (L.) C.H. Stirton (Fabaceae) populations: separation of “true” differences from environmental effects on DNA determination. Environ. Exp. Bot. 55:258–265. , , and .
- 2007. The biology of invasive alien plants in Canada. 7. Cabomba caroliniana A. Gray. Can. J. Plant Sci. 87:615–638. , , and .
- 2009. Something in the way you move: dispersal pathways affect invasion success. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24:136–144. , , , , and .
- 2010. Genetic uniformity characterizes the invasive spread of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes), a clonal aquatic plant. Mol. Ecol. 19:1774–1786. , , and .