Environmental associations with gene transcription in Babine Lake rainbow trout: evidence for local adaptation
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 1194–1208, May 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(5):1194–1208.
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2012
- British Columbia Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- 2006. Pseudomonas putida infection in rainbow trout. Aquaculture 261:850–855. , , and .
- 2009. Stress transcriptomics in fish: a role for genomic cortisol signaling. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 164:142–150. , and .
- 1984. Isolation and characterization of a new subspecies of Mycobacterium chelonei infectious for salmonid fish. Helgolander Meeresuntersuchungen 37:329–342. , and .
- 2011. Rapid evolution of osmoregulatory function by modification of gene transcription in steelhead trout. Genetica 139:233–242. , , and .
- 2012a. Sex-biased genetic component distribution among populations: additive genetic and maternal contributions to phenotypic differences among populations of Chinook salmon. J. Evol. Biol. 25:682–690. , , and .
- 2012b. Additive, non-additive and maternal effects of cytokine transcription in response to immunostimulation with Vibrio vaccine in Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Immunogenetics 64:691–703. , , , and .
- 2006. Advances in fish cytokine biology give clues to the evolution of a complex network. Curr. Pharm. Des. 12:3051–3069. , , and .
- 2011. Analysis of bacterial and archaeal diversity in coastal microbial mats using massive parallel 16S rRNA gene tag sequencing. ISME J. 5:1701–1712. , and .
- 2005. The landscape of genetic complexity across 5,700 gene expression traits in yeast. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:1572–1577. , and .
- 1989. Pp. 1–71 in Assessment of rainbow trout recruitment from streams tributary to Babine Lake. Consultant report prepared for Skeena Region Fisheries Branch. BC Ministry of Environment and Parks, Smithers, BC.
- 1990. Pp. 1–56 in Sutherland River rainbow trout radio telemetry studies 1989. Consultant report prepared for Skeena Region Fisheries Branch. BC Ministry of Environment, Smithers, BC.
- 2012. 16S rRNA gene based analysis of the microbial diversity and hydrogen production in three mixed anaerobic cultures. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 37:9002–9017. , , and .
- 2010. Transcriptional differences between triploid and diploid Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) during live Vibrio anguillarum challenge. Heredity 104:224–234. , , , , and .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156–159. , and .
- 2008. The ribosomal database project: improved alignments and new tools for rRNA analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 37:D141–D145. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Potential responses to climate change in organisms with complex life histories: evolution and plasticity in Pacific salmon. Evol. Appl. 1:252–270. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Cross-platform comparison and visualisation of gene expression data using co-inertia analysis. BMC Bioinformatics 4:59. , , and .
- 2006. Parallelism in gene transcription among sympatric lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchill) ecotypes. Mol. Ecol. 15:1239–1249. , , and .
- 2007. Clinal variation in MHC diversity with temperature: evidence for the role of host–pathogen interaction on local adaptation in Atlantic salmon. Evolution 61:2154–2164. , , , , and .
- 2009. MHC standing genetic variation and pathogen resistance in wild Atlantic salmon. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364:1555–1565. , , , and .
- 1994. Co-inertia analysis: an alternative method for studying species-environment relationships. Freshw. Biol. 31:277–294. , and .
- 2007. The ade4 package: implementing the duality diagram for ecologists. J. Stat. Softw. 22:1–20. , and .
- 1998. Spatial variation in environmental characteristics of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) rivers. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:267–280. , , , and .
- 2009. Major histocompatibility complex heterozygote advantage and widespread bacterial infections in populations of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha). Mol. Ecol. 18:4716–4729. , and .
- 2011. Varying disease-mediated selection at different life-history stages of Atlantic salmon in fresh water. Evol. Appl. 4:749–762. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Intraspecific variation in thermal tolerance and heat shock gene expression in the common killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. J. Exp. Biol. 209:2859–2872. , , and .
- 2008. Evaluating the role of natural selection in the evolution of gene regulation. Heredity 100:191–199. , and .
- 2002. Selection response of cortisol and lysozyme in rainbow trout and correlation to growth. Aquaculture 205:61–75. , , and .
- 2001. Adaptive evolutionary conservation: towards a unified concept for defining conservation units. Mol. Ecol. 10:2741–2752. , and .
- 2011. Extent and scale of local adaptation in salmonid fishes: review and meta-analysis. Heredity 106:404–420. , , , , and .
- 2005. Dual role of cathepsin D: ligand and protease. Biomed. Pap. 149:43–50. , and .
- 2007. A critical review of adaptive genetic variation in Atlantic salmon: implications for conservation. Biol. Rev. 82:173–211. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) variation and susceptibility to the sea louse Lepeophtheirus salmonis in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Dis. Aquat. Org. 76:57–65. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Climate warming and disease risks for terrestrial and marine biota. Science 296:2158–2162. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Heat shock response of killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus): candidate gene and heterologous microarray approaches. Physiol. Genomics 41:171–184. , , , and .
- 1989. Relation of water temperature to bacterial cold-water disease in coho salmon, Chinook salmon, and rainbow trout. J. Aquat. Anim. Health 1:94–101. , , , and .
- 2006. Recurring seasonal dynamics of microbial communities in stream habitats. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72:713–722. , , and .
- 2007. Specificity and sensitivity of eubacterial primers utilized for molecular profiling of bacteria within complex microbial ecosystems. J. Microbiol. Methods 70:565–569. , , , and .
- 2009. Candidate genes and adaptive radiation: insights from transcriptional adaptation to the limnetic niche among coregonine fishes (Coregonus spp., Salmonidae). Mol. Biol. Evol. 26:155–166. , , , and .
- 1982. Duration of immunity in salmonids vaccinated by direct immersion with Yersinia ruckeri and Vibrio anguillarum bacterins. J. Fish Dis. 5:207–213. , , and .
- 2001. Thermal performance of juvenile Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Funct. Ecol. 15:701–711. , , , and .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2010. Pp. 1–89 in Adult distribution and the effects of dispersal and genetic drift on population genetic structure of resident rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in Babine Lake, British Columbia. M.Sc. thesis, University of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
- 1997. Characterization of isolates of Flavobacterium psychrophilum associated with coldwater disease or rainbow trout fry syndrome I: phenotypic and genomic studies. Dis. Aquat. Org. 31:197–208. , , and .
- 2006. Cultured and wild fish disease interactions in the Canadian marine environment. Pp. 59–95 in Fisheries and Oceans Canada, ed. A scientific review of the potential environmental effects of aquaculture in aquatic ecosystems – volume 4. Canadian Technical Report on Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2450, Queen's Printer for Canada, Ottawa, Canada. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Innate immunity: the virtues of a nonclonal system of recognition. Cell 91:295–298. , and .
- 2011. Genomic signatures predict migration and spawning failure in wild Canadian salmon. Science 331:214–217. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Cortisol in teleost: dynamics, mechanisms of action, and metabolic regulation. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 9:211–268. , , and .
- 2009. Population-specific gene expression responses to hybridization between farm and wild Atlantic salmon. Evol. Appl. 2:489–503. , , , and .
- 2005. Appetite-suppressing effects of ammonia exposure in rainbow trout associated with regional and temporal activation of brain monoaminergic and CRF systems. J. Exp. Biol. 208:1855–1866. , , and .
- 2011. Wild immunology. Mol. Ecol. 20:872–880. , and .
- 1992. Molecular physiology of the regulation of hepatic gluconeogenesis and glycolysis. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 54:885–909. , and .
- 2004. Changes in gene expression associated with acclimation to constant temperatures and fluctuating daily temperatures in an annual killifish Austrofundulus limnaeus. J. Exp. Biol. 207:2237–2254. , and .
- 2005. The behavior and ecology of Pacific salmon and trout. University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed February 27, 2012).
- 2008. Development of adaptive immunity in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum) surviving an infection with Yersinia ruckeri. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 25:533–541. , and .
- 2009. Innate immune response in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) against primary and secondary infections with Yersinia ruckeri O1. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 33:35–45. , and .
- 2003. Assumption-free analysis of quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) data. Neurosci. Lett. 339:62–66. , , , and .
- 2007. Genomewide identification of genes under directional selection: gene transcription QST scan in diverging Atlantic salmon subpopulations. Genetics 177:1011–1022. , , and .
- 2006. The interferon system of teleost fish. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 20:172–191.
- 2006. Biological activity of cytokines: an evolutionary perspective. Curr. Pharm. Des. 12:3071–3081. , , and .
- 2009. Introducing mothur: open-source, platform-independent, community-supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:7537–7541. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiations. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1996. Cytokines in fish: an update. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 6:291–304. , , and .
- 2008. The transcriptomics of life-history trade-offs in whitefish species pairs (Coregonus sp.). Mol. Ecol. 17:1850–1870. , , and .
- 1991. A review of local adaptation in Salmonidae, with particular reference to Pacific and Atlantic salmon. Aquaculture 98:185–207.
- 2010. Beyond MHC: signals of elevated selection pressure on Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) immune-relevant loci. Mol. Ecol. 19:1273–1282. , , , and .
- 2010. Bias in the Cq value observed with hydrolysis probe based quantitative PCR can be corrected with the estimated PCR efficiency value. Methods 50:313–322. , , , and .
- 2007. Zygosity at the major histocompatibility class IIB locus predicts susceptibility to Renibacterium salmoninarum in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Anim. Genet. 38:517–519. , , and .
- 2010. Conservation genomics of Atlantic salmon: variation in gene expression between and within regions of the Bay of Fundy. Mol. Ecol. 19:1842–1859. , , , , and .
- 2007. Naïve Bayesian classifier for rapid assignment of rRNA sequences into the new bacterial taxonomy. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73:5261–5267. , , , and .
- 2006. Neutral and adaptive variation in gene expression. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:5425–5430. , and .
- 2007. The innate immune response of finfish – a review of current knowledge. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 23:1127–1151.
- 2007. Gene expression in the liver during recovery from an acute stressor in rainbow trout. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part D Genomics Proteomics 2:234–244. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Major histocompatibility polymorphism associated with resistance towards amoebic gill diesease in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 22:707–717. , , , and .