Using pedigree reconstruction to estimate population size: genotypes are more than individually unique marks
Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 1294–1304, May 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(5):1294–1304.
- Issue online: 10 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 17 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 JAN 2013
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: IOS-1145749
- 2006. The power of single-nucleotide polymorphisms for large-scale parentage inference. Genetics 172:2567–2582. , and .
- 2013a. Estimating past and future male loss in three Zambian lion populations. J. Wildl. Manag. 77:128–142. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.446. , , , , , and .
- 2013b. Evaluating wire-snare poaching trends and the impacts of by-catch on elephants and large carnivores. Biol. Conserv. 158:26–36. , , , , , and .
- 2003. DNA-based methods for pedigree reconstruction and kinship analysis in natural populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:503–511.
- 2004. Monitoring of grizzly bear population trends and demography using DNA mark-recapture methods in the Owikeno Lake area of British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 82:1267–1277. , , and .
- 2009. Source populations in carnivore management: cougar demography and emigration in a lightly hunted population. Anim. Conserv. 12:321–328. , , , and .
- 1997. Lion density and population structure in the Selous Game Reserve: evaluation of hunting quotas and offtake. Afr. J. Ecol. 35:83–93. , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of relationships between human offtake, total mortality and population dynamics of gray wolves (Canis lupus). PLoS One 5:e12918. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0012918. , and .
- 2003. Population size estimation in Yellowstone wolves with error-prone noninvasive microsatellite genotypes. Mol. Ecol. 12:2003–2009. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2000. Molecular tracking of mountain lions in the Yosemite valley region in California: genetic analysis using microsatellites and faecal DNA. Mol. Ecol. 9:433–441. , , , , and .
- 1999. Reliable noninvasive genotyping based on excremental PCR of nuclear DNA purified with a magnetic bead protocol. Mol. Ecol. 8:879–883. , , , and .
- 1997. Microsatellite scoring errors associated with noninvasive genotyping based on nuclear DNA amplified from shed hair. Mol. Ecol. 6:861–868. , , and .
- 1991. Analytical DNA fingerprinting in lions: parentage, genetic diversity, and kinship. J. Hered. 82:378–386. , , , , and .
- 1998. Plucked hair samples as a source of DNA: reliability of dinucleotide microsatellite genotyping. Mol. Ecol. 7:1237–1241. , , and .
- 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecol. Lett. 4:379–391. , and .
- 2010. Indirect genetic estimates of breeding population size in the polyploid green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris). Mol. Ecol. 19:1058–1070. , and .
- 2005. Surveying snow leopard populations with emphasis on camera trapping: a handbook. The Snow Leopard Conservancy, Sonoma, California. , , , and .
- 1997a. Microsatellite analysis of maternity and the mating system in the Gulf pipefish Syngnathus scovelli, a species with male pregnancy and sex-role reversal. Mol. Ecol. 6:203–213. , and .
- 1997b. Polygynandry in the Dusky pipefish Syngnathus floridae revealed by microsatellite DNA markers. Evolution 51:1611–1622. , and .
- 2010. A practical guide to methods of parentage analysis. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:6–30. , , , and .
- 2005. hprare 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2006. Ml-Relate: a computer program for maximum likelihood estimation of relatedness and relationship. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:576–579. , , and .
- 1987. A remote method for obtaining skin biopsy samples. Conserv. Biol. 1:261–262. , , and .
- 1999. Robustness of closed capture-recapture methods to violations of the closure assumption. Ecology 80:2517–2525.
- 2009. Demography and genetic structure of a recovering grizzly bear population. J. Wildl. Manag. 73:3–16. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Pedigree reconstruction in wild cichlid fish populations. Mol. Ecol. 17:4500–4511. , , , and .
- 1997. Facts from feces revisited. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:223–227. , and .
- 1999. Estimating faeces population size by genotyping. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:657–663 , , , , , and . et al.
- 2010. Estimation of census and effective population sizes: the increasing usefulness of DNA-based approaches. Conserv. Genet. 11:355–373. , , , , and .
- 2005. Review of capture-recapture methods applicable to noninvasive genetic sampling. Mol. Ecol. 14:3909–3919. , and .
- 2011. Sperm whale population structure in the eastern and central North Pacific inferred by the use of single-nucleotide polymorphisms, microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11(Suppl. 1):278–298. , , , , , and . et al.
- 2001. Estimating the size of spotted hyaena (Crocuta crocuta) populations through playback recordings allowing for non-response. Anim. Conserv. 4:335–343 , , and .
- 2004. SNPs in ecology, evolution and conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19:208–216. , , and .
- 2001. Statistical approaches to paternity analysis in natural populations and applications to the North Atlantic humpback whale. Genetics 157:1673–1682. , , , and .
- 1978. Statistical inference from capture data on closed animal populations. Wildl. Monogr. 62:1–135. , , , and .
- 1991. A molecular genetic analysis of kinship and cooperation in African lions. Nature 351:562–565. , , , and .
- 2009. Sport hunting, predator control and conservation of large carnivores. PLoS One 4:e5941. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2010. Effects of trophy hunting on lion and leopard populations in Tanzania. Conserv. Biol. 25:142–153. , , , , and .
- 1999. Amplifying dolphin mitochondrial DNA from faecal plumes. Mol. Ecol. 8:1766–1768. , , , , , and , et al.
- 2001. A genetic analogue of “mark-recapture” methods for estimating population size: an approach based on molecular parentage assessments. Mol. Ecol. 10:2711–2718. , , , and .
- 2008. Wild pedigrees: the way forward. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275:613–621.
- 1990. Statistical inference for capture-recapture experiments. Wildl. Monogr. 107:1–97. , , , and .
- 2010. Reconstruction of pedigrees in clonal plant populations. Theor. Popul. Biol. 78:109–117. , , and .
- 2011. Evaluation of noninvasive genetic sampling methods for cougars in Yellowstone National Park. J. Wildl. Manag. 75:612–622. , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. The Serengeti lion: a study of predator–prey relations. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1973. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. Edward Arnold, London.
- 1982. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. 2nd ed. Griffin, London.
- 1986. A review of estimating animal abundance. Biometrics 42:267–292.
- 2004. The use of camera traps for estimating jaguar Panthera onca abundance and density using capture/recapture analysis. Oryx 38:148–154. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Highly reliable genetic identification of individual hairy-nosed wombats from single remotely collected hairs: a feasible censusing method. Mol. Ecol. 9:1233–1240. , , , , and .
- 2010. How many SNPs are enough? Mol. Ecol. 19:1265–1266.
- 2002. Genetic structure of lions (Panthera leo L.) in the Selous Game Reserve: implications for the evolution of sociality. J. Evol. Biol. 15:945–953. , , and .
- 1996. Reliable genotyping of samples with very low DNA quantities using PCR. Nucleic Acids Res. 24:3189–3194. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Noninvasive genetic sampling: look before you leap. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:323–327. , , and .
- 2010. When are genetic methods useful for estimating contemporary abundance and detecting population trends? Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:684–692. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Urine collected in the field as a source of DNA for species and individual identification. Mol. Ecol. 9:2150–2152. , and .
- 2006. Estimating relatedness and relationships using microsatellite loci with null alleles. Heredity 97:336–345. , , and .
- 2009. The use of camera traps for estimating tiger and leopard populations in the high altitude mountains of Bhutan. Biol. Conserv. 142:606–613. , and .
- 2009. Parentage and sibship inference from multilocus genotype data under polygamy. Genetics 181:1579–1594. , and .
- 2007. Modeling the effects of trophy selection and environmental disturbance on a simulated population of African lions. Conserv. Biol. 21:591–601. , , , and .
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego. , , and .
- 1999. Genetic tagging of free-ranging black and brown bears. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 23:616–627. , , , , , and .