Population genetic patterns among social groups of the endangered Central American spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi) in a human-dominated landscape
Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 1388–1399, May 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(5):1388–1399.
- Issue published online: 10 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 FEB 2013
- Rhode Island Zoo Sophie Danforth Conservation Biology
- International Primatological Society
- Primate Conservation Incorporated
- Primate Action
- Northern Arizona University
- National Science Foundation
- USDA. Grant Number: 524-P-00-07-00007-00
- 2007. Conservation and the genetics of populations. Blackwell, Malden. , and .
- 2003. The mitochondrial control region of the black howler monkey, Alouatta caraya (Primates, Platyrrhini), and the development of new primers. Mol. Ecol. 3:372–375. , , and .
- 2009. Genetic structure of the northwestern Russian wolf populations and gene flow between Russia and Finland. Conserv. Genet. 10:815–826. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Inbreeding depression in non-human primates: a historical review of methods used and empirical data. Am. J. Primatol. 69:1370–1386. , , and .
- 2008. Inbreeding depression in ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta): genetic diversity predicts parasitism, immunocompetence, and survivorship. Conserv. Genet. 9:1605–1615. , , and .
- 2008. The taxonomic status of spider monkeys in the 21st century. Pp. 50–78 in C. J. Cambell, ed. Spider monkeys: the biology, behavior and ecology of the genus Ateles. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 2000. Biogeographic and ecological forces responsible for speciation in Ateles. Int. J. Primatol. 21:421–444. , and .
- 2010. SMOGD: software for the measurement of genetic diversity. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:56–557.
- 2006. Mitigating scoring errors in microsatellite data from wild populations. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:951–957. , , and .
- 2008. Diets of wild spider monkeys. Pp. 81–137 in C. J. Campbell, ed. Spider monkeys: behavior, ecology and evolution of the genus Ateles. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , , and .
- 2009. Dispersal patterns in sympatric woolly and spider monkeys: integrating molecular and observational data. Behaviour 146:437–470. , , , and .
- 2011. The atelines: behavioral and socioecological diversity in a New World radiation. Pp. 155–177 in C. J. Campbell, A. Fuentes, K. C. MacKinnon, M. Panger and S. K. Beader, eds. Primates in perspective, 2nd ed. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , and .
- 2003. Primates as pets in Mexico City: an assessment of the species involved, source of origin, and general aspects of treatment. Am. J. Primatol. 61:53–60. , and .
- 2000. Heterogeneous mutation processes in human microsatellite DNA sequences. Nat. Genet. 24:400–402.
- 2006. Human and non-human primate co-existence in the neotropics: a preliminary view of some agricultural practices as a complement for primate conservation. Ecol. Environ. Anthropol. 2:17–29.
- 2006. Overview of the Mesoamerican primate fauna, primate studies, and conservation concerns. Pp. 1–22 in A. Estrada, P. Garber, M. Pavelka and L. Luecke, eds. New perspectives in the study of mesoamerican primates: distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation. Springer, New York. , , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 1995. Interbirth interval variation in three sympatric species of Neotropical monkey. Am. J. Primatol. 37:9–24. , and .
- 2006. The biogeographic history of Mesoamerican primates. Pp. 81–114 in A. Estrada, P. Garber, M. Pavelka and L. Luecke, eds. New perspectives in the study of mesoamerican primates: distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation. Springer, New York.
- 2005. Microsatellite analyses reveal fine-scale genetic structure in grey mouse lemurs (Microcebus murinus). Mol. Ecol. 14:2363–2372. , , , and .
- 2000. Diversity, composition, and structure of tropical dry forests in Central America. Plant Ecol. 147:37–47. , , and .
- 2009. Diet of spider monkeys (Ateles geoffroyi) in Mesoamerica: current knowledge and future directions. Am. J. Primatol. 71:8–20. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Performing the exact test of Hardy-Weinberg proportion for multiple alleles. Biometrics 48:361–372. , and .
- 2002. SPAGeDi: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:618–620. , and .
- 1992. A statistical test for detecting geographic subdivision. Mol. Biol. Evol. 9:138–151. , , and .
- IUCN. 2010. IUCN red list of threatened species. Version 2011.1. Available at http://www.iucnredlist.org (accessed September 13, 2011).
- 1995. Molecular evolution of mitochondrial 12S RNA and cytochrome b sequences in the pantherine lineage of Felidae. Mol. Biol. Evol. 12:690–707. , , , and .
- 1988. Management of habitat fragments in a tropical dry forest: growth. Ann. Mo. Bot. Gard. 75:105–116.
- 2008. adegenet: a R package for the multivariate analysis of genetic markers. Bioinformatics 24:1403–1405.
- 2008. GST and its relatives do not measure differentiation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4015–4026.
- 2009. D vs. GST: response to Heller and Siegismund (2009) and Ryman and Leimar (2009). Mol. Ecol. 18:2088–2091. .
- 2005. hp-rare 1.0: a computer program for performing rarefaction on measures of allelic richness. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5:187–189.
- 2005. The ABCs of MHC. Evol. Anthropol. 14:28–37.
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25:1451–1452. , and .
- 1995. Spatial genetic structure of a tropical understory shrub, Psychotria officinalis (Rubiaceae). Am. J. Bot. 82:1420–1425. , , , and .
- 2006. Using the AMOVA framework to estimate a standardized genetic differentiation measure. Evolution 60:2399–2402.
- 2006. A global overview of the conservation status of tropical dry forests. J. Biogeogr. 33:491–505. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Survey and conservation of a relict population of spider monkeys (Ateles geoffroyi) in the Sumidero Canyon, Mexico. Trop. Conserv. Sci. 1:151–162. , , and .
- 2005. Vegan: community ecology package. R package version 1.6–10. Available at http://vegan.r-forge.r-project.org (accessed September 13, 2011). , , and .
- 2004. Micro-Checker: software for identifying and correcting geno- typing errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2008. Predicted and verified distributions of Ateles geoffroyi and Alouatta palliata in Oaxaca, Mexico. Primates 49:186–194. , , and .
- 2001. Synergistic effects of subsistence hunting and habitat fragmentation on Amazonian forest vertebrates. Conserv. Biol. 15:1490–1505.
- 2007. Improved DNA sequencing quality and efficiency using an optimized fast cycle sequencing protocol. Biotechniques 43:58–62. , , and .
- 2002. Survey of three primate species in forest fragments at La Suerte Biological Field Station, Costa Rica. Neotrop. Primates 10:4–9. , and .
- 2010. Does reduced MHC diversity decrease viability of vertebrate populations? Biol. Conserv. 143:537–544. , , and .
- 2008. Spider monkey conservation in the 21st century: recognizing risks and opportunities. Pp. 351–376 in C. J. Campbell, ed. Spider monkeys: behavior, ecology and evolution of the genus Ateles. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1994. Measuring the sustainability of hunting in tropical forests. Oryx 28:249–256. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2008. Genepop'007: a complete reimplementation of the Genepop software for Windows and Linux. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 8:103–106.
- 2005. A multi-forest comparison of dietary preferences and seed dispersal by Ateles spp. Int. J. Primatol. 26:1017–1037. , , , , and .
- 2006. Taxonomy and distributions of Mesoamerican primates. Pp. 29–79 in A. Estrada, P. Garber, M. Pavelka and L. Luecke, eds. New perspectives in the study of mesoamerican primates: distribution, ecology, behavior, and conservation. Springer, New York. , , , , and .
- 2000. An economic method for the fluorescent labeling of PCR fragments. Nat. Biotechnol. 18:233–234.
- 2008. SRTM-DEM and landsat ETM+ data for mapping tropical dry forest cover and biodiversity assessment in Nicaragua. Rev. Geogr. Acad. 2:53–65. , , , , and .
- 2000. Distribution of three monkey species along a gradient of regenerating tropical dry forest. Biol. Conserv. 92:227–240. , and .
- 2009. Male and female range use in a group of white-bellied spider monkeys (Ateles belzebuth) in Yasuní National Park, Ecuador. Am. J. Primatol. 72:129–141. , , and .
- 2010. The history of Nicaragua. Greenwood, Santa Barbara.
- 2006. Diet and travel costs for spider monkeys in a nonseasonal, hyperdiverse environment. Int. J. Primatol. 27:411–436.
- 2011. HapStar: automated haplotype network layout and visualisation. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:151–153. , and .
- 2002. GIMLET: a computer program for analysing genetic individual identification data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:377–379. .
- 2004. New insights from fine-scale spatial genetic structure analyses in plant populations. Mol. Ecol. 13:921–935. , and .
- 2003. Novel universal primers establish identity of an enormous number of animal species for forensic application. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:28–31. , and .
- 2001. Estimating the probability of identity among genotypes in natural populations: cautions and guidelines. Mol. Ecol. 10:249–256. , , and .
- 2008. Towing the party line: territoriality, risky boundaries and male group size in spider monkey fission-fusion societies. Am. J. Primatol. 70:271–281.
- 2007. High population density of black-handed spider monkeys (Ateles geoffroyi) in Costa Rican lowland wet forest. Primates 48:108–116.
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .