Getting the biggest birch for the bang: restoring and expanding upland birchwoods in the Scottish Highlands by managing red deer
Article first published online: 22 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1890–1901, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1890–1901
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 22 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 JAN 2013
- Gates Cambridge Trust
- 1992. Betula pendula Roth (B. verrucosa Ehrh.) and B. pubescens Ehrh. J. Ecol. 80:837–870.
- 1997. Assessment of bird collisions with deer fences in scottish forests. J. Appl. Ecol. 34:941–948. , and .
- 2010. Spatio-temporal feeding selection of red deer in a mountainous landscape. Austral Ecol. 35:752–764. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Creating woodland islets to reconcile ecological restoration, conservation, and agricultural land use. Front. Ecol. Environ. 6:329–336. , , and .
- 2009. Woodland decline in upland Scotland. Plant Ecol. Divers 2:91–93.
- 2009. Large predators and trophic cascades in terrestrial ecosystems of the western United States. Biol. Conserv. 142:2401–2414. , and .
- 1968. Biomass and production of trees in a mixed deciduous woodland. I. Girth and height as parameters for the estimation of tree dry weight. J. Ecol. 56:759–775.
- 1996. Managing birch woodlands for the production of quality timber. Forestry 69:357–371.
- 1989. Red deer in the Highlands. BSP, Oxford. , and .
- 2004. Red deer stocks in the Highlands of Scotland. Nature 429:261–262. , , and .
- Committee on Climate Change [CCC]. 2008. Building a low-carbon economy-the UK's contribution to tackling climate change. The Stationery Office, Norwich.
- 2003. Disturbances prevent stem size-density distributions in natural forests from following scaling relationships. Ecol. Lett. 6:980–989. , , , and .
- 2004. Ecological impacts of deer overabundance. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:113–147. , , , , and .
- 1911. The vegetation of Caithness considered in relation to the geology. Committee for the Survey and Study of British Vegetation, Edinburgh.
- 1947. Natural history in the Highlands and islands. Collins, London.
- Deer Commission for Scotland [DCS]. 2008. Scotland's wild deer – a national approach. Scottish Government, Edinburgh.
- 2008. Integrating ecological uncertainty and farm-scale economics when planning restoration. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:288–295. , , and .
- 1996. Stem number estimation by kernel smoothing in aerial photos. Can. J. For. Res. 26:1228–1236. , and .
- 2004. Rewilding in the north-central Highlands: an update. ECOS 25:4–10.
- 2008. A postulated natural origin for the open landscape of upland Scotland. Plant Ecol. Divers 1:115–127.
- Forestry Commission Scotland [FCS]. 2004. Native woodland habitat action plans in Scotland. Forestry Commission Scotland, Edinburgh.
- Forestry Commission Scotland [FCS]. 2008. Action for black grouse. Forestry Commission Scotland, Edinburgh.
- 2001. Ecological impacts of increasing numbers of deer in British woodland. Forestry 74:193–199. , and .
- 2010. The effects of varying deer density on natural regeneration in woodlands in lowland Britain. Forestry 83:53–63. , and .
- 2004. The management of wild large herbivores to meet economic, conservation and environmental objectives. J. Appl. Ecol. 41:1021–1031. , , and .
- 2004. An evaluation of alternative dispersal functions for trees. J. Ecol. 92:758–766. , , , and .
- 2004. Browsing by red deer negatively impacts on soil nitrogen availability in regenerating native forest. Soil Biol. Biochem. 36:115–126. , and .
- 1991. Succession from heather moorland to birch woodland. II. Growth and competition between Vaccinium myrtillus, Deschampsia flexuosa and Agrostis capillaris. J. Ecol. 79:317–327. , , and .
- 1996. Landscape-scale vegetation change in the Cairngorms, Scotland, 1946–1988: implications for land management. Biol. Conserv. 77:41–51. , , and .
- 1998. Pine invasions in the southern hemisphere: modelling interactions between organism, environment and disturbance. Plant Ecol. 135:79–93. , and .
- 1995. Selection of birch by black grouse Tetrao tetrix in winter. Proc. Int. Grouse Symp. 6:63–66. , , , , and .
- 2009. Woodland restoration in Scotland: ecology, history, culture, economics, politics and change. J. Environ. Manage. 90:2857–2865.
- 2007. Scottish upland forests: history lessons for the future. For. Ecol. Manage. 249:45–53. , and .
- 2006. Modelling the effects of forest landscape dynamics on focal species in Glen Affric, northern Scotland. Forestry 79: 293–302. , , and .
- 1984. Birch regeneration in heath vegetation. Proc. R. Soc. Edinb. B 85:73–81. , and .
- 1974. Effect of site conditions on the regeneration of birch (Betula pendula Roth and B. pubescens Ehrh.). J. Ecol. 62:467–472.
- 2003. The interacting effects of ungulates and fire on forest dynamics: an analysis using the model FORSPACE. For. Ecol. Manage. 181:205–222. , , and .
- 1999. The native woodland resource of Scotland. Forestry Commission, Edinburgh.
- 2004. Tradeable hunting obligations—a new approach to regulating red deer numbers in the Scottish Highlands? J. Environ. Manage. 71:261–270.
- 2004. Identifying and modelling the determinants of woody plant invasion of lowland heath. J. Ecol. 92:868–881. , , and .
- 2009. Restoring landscapes of fear with wolves in the Scottish Highlands. Biol. Conserv. 142:2314–2321. , , and .
- 2007. Active adaptive management for conservation. Conserv. Biol. 21:956–963. , and .
- 2003. Influence of fusing lidar and multispectral imagery on remotely sensed estimates of stand density and mean tree height in a managed loblolly pine plantation. Forest Sci. 49:457–466. , , and .
- 1981. Effects of birch on moorlands. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Cambridge.
- 2003. Soil seed banks of woodland, heathland, grassland, mire and montane communities, Cairngorm Mountains, Scotland. Plant Ecol. 168:255–266. , and .
- 1982. Liability of saplings to browsing on a red deer range in the Scottish Highlands. J. Appl. Ecol. 19:941–951. , , and .
- 1998. Red deer and woodland regeneration in the Cairngorms. Scott. Forest. 52:14–20. , , and .
- 2007. The cascading effects of birch on heather moorland: a test for the top-down control of an ecosystem engineer. J. Ecol. 95:540–554. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Indicators of ecological change: new tools for managing populations of large herbivores. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:634–643. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Growth, mortality and regeneration in Craigellachie, a semi-natural birchwood in the Scottish Highlands. Bot. J. Scotl. 52:187–211. , and .
- National Trust for Scotland [NTS]. 2002. Wild land policy. National Trust for Scotland, Edinburgh.
- 1996. Forest models defined by field measurements: estimation, error analysis and dynamics. Ecol. Monogr. 66:1–43. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Feral goats: designing solutions for a designer pest. N. Z. J. Ecol. 17:71–83.
- 2003. Individual variation and environmental stochasticity: implications for matrix model predictions. Ecology 84:496–510. , and .
- 2002. Modeling forest dynamics with a combined matrix/individual-based model. Forest Sci. 48:643–652. , , and .
- 2005. Impacts of livestock in regenerating upland birch woodlands in Scotland. Biol. Conserv. 123:443–452. , , , , and .
- 2005. Demographic changes in a Scottish red deer population (Cervus elaphus L.) in response to sustained and heavy culling: an analysis of trends in deer populations of Creag Meagaidh National Nature Reserve 1986–2001. For. Ecol. Manage. 206:263–281. , , and .
- 2011. Identifying threshold densities for wild deer in the UK above which negative impacts may occur. Mamm. Rev. 41:175–196. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2009. Integral projection models perform better for small demographic data sets than matrix population models: a case study of two perennial herbs. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:1048–1053. , , and .
- 2010. Restoring forest herb communities through landscape-level deer herd reductions: is recovery limited by legacy effects? Biol. Conserv. 143:2425–2434. , , , and .
- 2007. Growth-size scaling relationships of woody plant species differ from predictions of the Metabolic Ecology Model. Ecol. Lett. 10:889–901. , , and .
- 2013. Rewilding the Scottish Highlands: do wild boar, Sus scrofa, use a suitable foraging strategy to be effective ecosystem engineers? Restor. Ecol. In press. , , and .
- 2001. Application of a forest gap model for prediction of browsing effects on riparian forest succession. Ecol. Model. 144:213–229. , and .
- 2008. Spatial spread of an alien tree species in a heterogeneous forest landscape: a spatially realistic simulation model. Landscape Ecol. 23:787–801. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Highland land-use before 1800: misconceptions, evidence and realities. Pp. 5–23 in T. C. Smout, ed. Scottish woodland history. Scottish Cultural Press, Edinburgh. .
- 2009. Browsing and fire interact to suppress tree density in an African savanna. Ecol. Appl. 19:1909–1919. , , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of sika deer on vegetation in Japan: a review. Biol. Conserv. 142:1922–1929.
- 2009. Landscape-level vegetation recovery from herbivory: progress after four decades of invasive red deer control. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:1064–1072. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Slow responses of ecosystems to reductions in deer (Cervidae) populations and strategies for achieving recovery. For. Ecol. Manage. 264:159–166. , , and .
- 1994. The form and fate of Scotland's woodlands. Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot., 124:1–54. .
- 2004. The potential for native woodland in Scotland: the native woodland model. Scottish Natural Heritage, Battleby. , , , and .
- 2011. Improving prediction and management of range expansions by combining analytical and individual-based modelling approaches. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:477–488. , , , and .
- 2004. Choice and development of decision support tools for the sustainable management of deer-forest systems. For. Ecol. Manage. 191:1–16. , , , and .
- 2007. Quasi-Poisson vs. negative binomial regression: how should we model overdispersed count data? Ecology 88:2766–2772. , and .
- 2005. Modeling the interacting effects of browsing and shading on mountain forest tree regeneration (Picea abies). Ecol. Model. 185:213–230. , , and .
- 2000. Sporting estates and the recreational economy in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Scott. Aff. 31:18–36. , and .
- 2007. The potential for direct seeding of birch on restock sites. Information Note FCIN084. Forestry Commission, Edinburgh. , , , , , and .