Reconstructing shifts in vital rates driven by long-term environmental change: a new demographic method based on readily available data
Article first published online: 7 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2273–2284, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2273–2284
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 7 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JAN 2013
- PAPIIT project. Grant Number: IN225511
- 1992. Fecundity allocation in herbaceous plants. Oikos 65:225–232. , and .
- 2007. Fisheries, ecology and modelling: an historical perspective. Panam. J. Aquat. Sci. 2:75–85. , and .
- 2007. Managing farming's footprint on biodiversity. Science 315:341–342.
- 2001. Matrix Population Models. Sinauer Associates Inc, Sunderland, MA.
- 2011. Long-term population trends of Sooty Shearwater (Puffinus griseus) revealed by hunt success. Ecol. Appl. 21:1308–1326.
- COP 10. 2010. Decision X/17. Consolidated update of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation. 2011–2020.
- 2011. How do plant ecologists use matrix population models? Ecol. Lett. 14:1–8. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Incorporating environmental change over succession in an integral projection model of population dynamics of a forest herb. Oikos 120:1183–1190. , and .
- 1999. Detecting population-level consequences of ongoing environmental change without long-term monitoring. Ecology 80:1537–1551. , and .
- 2000. Size-specific sensitivity: applying a new structured population model. Ecology 81:694–708. , , and .
- 2012. Comments on: inference for size demography from point pattern data using integral projection models. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 17:682–689. .
- 2007. Stochastic stable population growth in integral projection models: theory and application. J. Math. Biol. 54:227–256. , and .
- 2001. Stochastic matrix models for conservation and management: a comparative review of methods. Ecol. Lett. 4:244–266. , and .
- 1998. MULTIFAN-CL: a length-based, age-structured model for fisheries stock assessment, with application to South Pacific albacore, Thunnus alalunga. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:2105–2116. , , and .
- 2012. AD Model Builder: using automatic differentiation for statistical inference of highly parameterized complex nonlinear models. Optim. Methods Softw. 27:233–249. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Inference for size demography from point pattern data using integral projection models. J. Agric. Biol. Environ. Stat. 17:641–677. , , and .
- 2003. Demographic trends in the Cactaceae. Bot. Rev. 69:173–203. , , and .
- 2012. Identifying the demographic processes relevant for species conservation in human-impacted areas: does the model matter?. Oecologia. , , and .
- 2000. A prudential argument for precaution under uncertainty and high risk. Ethics Environ. 5:175–189.
- 1974. The demography of plants. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 5:419–463. , and .
- 1993. P. 1030 in Asdell's Patterns of Mammallian Reproduction: a Compendium of Species-specific Data. Cornell University Press, Ithaca. , , and .
- 2009. Biodiversity management in the face of climate change: a review of 22 years of recommendations. Biol. Conserv. 142:14–32. , and .
- 1994. Contribución al conocimiento de las cactáceas mexicanas amenazadas. Acta Bot. Mex. 26:33–52. , and .
- 2012. The evolution of quantitative marine fisheries management 1985–2010. Nat. Resour. Model. 25:122–144.
- 2003. The US long term ecological research program. Bioscience 53:21–32. , , , , and .
- 2003. Using age structure to detect impacts on threatened populations: a case study with Steller sea lions. Conserv. Biol. 17:1794–1806. , and .
- 2005. Transient population dynamics: relations to life history and initial population state. Ecol. Model. 185:283–297. , , , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis reveals negative yet variable effects of ocean acidification on marine organisms. Ecol. Lett. 13:1419–1434. , , , and .
- 2009. Disturbance-response analysis: a method for rapid assessment of the threat to species in disturbed areas. Conserv. Biol. 23:377–387. , and .
- 2012. Ruderality in extreme-desert cacti? Population effects of chronic anthropogenic disturbance on Echinocereus lindsayi. Popul. Ecol. 54:335–346. , , and .
- 1987. Vegetation succession on the Storbreen glacier foreland, Jotunheimen, Norway: a review. Arct. Alp. Res. 19:385–395. , and .
- 2005. FASST: a fully age-size and space-time structured statistical model for the assessment of tuna populations. Collect. Vol. Sci. Pap. ICCAT 57:206–217. , , and .
- 2001. Pre-columbian soil erosion, persistent ecological changes, and collapse of a subsistence agricultural economy in the semi-arid Tehuacán Valley, Mexico's ‘Cradle of Maize’. J. Arid Environ. 47:47–75. , , , , and .
- 2007. Roles of disturbance and demographic non-equilibrium in species coexistence, inferred from 25-year dynamics of a late-successional old-growth subalpine forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 241:74–83. , , and .
- 2003. Tutorial on maximum likelihood estimation. J. Math. Psychol. 47:90–100.
- 2010. Diversity and conservation in the cactus family. Pp. 157–173 in K. G. Ramawat, ed. Desert Plants. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Detecting environmental change: science and society—perspectives on long-term research and monitoring in the 21st century. Sci. Total Environ. 310:1–8. , , , , and .
- 2010. Scenarios for global biodiversity in the 21st century. Science 330:1496–1501. , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Space-for-time substitution as an alternative to long-term studies. Pp. 110–135 in G. E. Likens, ed. Long-term studies in ecology: approaches and alternatives. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1997. Fisheries stock assessment and decision analysis: the Bayesian approach. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 7:35–63. , and .
- 2003. Ruminations on the development and future of population dynamics models in fisheries. Nat. Resour. Model. 16:341–392. .
- 2004. Thresholds, memory, and seasonality: understanding pulse dynamics in arid/semi-arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141:191–193. , , , and .
- 1998. Chronic disturbance, a principal cause of environmental degradation in developing countries. Environ. Conserv. 25:1–2.
- 2009. Identifying the impacts of chronic anthropogenic disturbance on two threatened cacti to provide guidelines for population-dynamics restoration. Biol. Conserv. 142:1992–2001. , and .
- U.S. EPA. 2002. Methods for evaluating wetland condition: land-use characterization for nutrient and sediment risk assessment. Office of Water, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC.
- 2012. Facing extinction in real time. Science 335:1052–1053.
- 1999. Long-term trout production dynamics in Valley Creek, Minnesota. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 128:1151–1162.
- 2009. The allometry of reproduction within plant populations. J. Ecol. 97:1220–1233. , , , and .
- 2000. From snapshot information to long-term population dynamics of Acacias by a simulation model. Plant Ecol. 150:97–114. , , , and .