Juvenile habitat partitioning and relative productivity in allochronically isolated sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka)
Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 601–609, December 2011
How to Cite
Miller, E.K. F., Bradbury, I.R. and Heath, D.D. (2011), Juvenile habitat partitioning and relative productivity in allochronically isolated sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Ecology and Evolution, 1: 601–609. doi: 10.1002/ece3.55
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
- Received: 24 June 2011; Revised: 12 September 2011; Accepted: 15 September 2011.
- 1987. Adaptive variation in body size, age, morphology, egg size, and developmental biology of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) in British Columbia. Can.J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 44:244–261. , and .
- 1993. Variation in life history characteristics and morphology of sockeye salmon in the Kvichak River System, Bristol Bay, Alaska. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 122:550–559. , , and .
- 2010. Parallel adaptive evolution of Atlantic cod in the eastern and western Atlantic Ocean in response to ocean temperature. Proc. Royal Soc., Series B 277:3725–3734. , , , , , , , , , et al.,
- 2001. Habitat-, season-, and size-specific variation in diel activity patterns of juvenile chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) and steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:365–374. , and .
- 1987. Mechanisms stabilizing salmonid fry emergence timing. Pp. 120–124 in H.D. Smith, ed. Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) population biology and future management. Canadian Special Publications in Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 96. Ottawa , Ontario .
- 1963. Red salmon population studies, Wood River lakes. Pp. 10–12 in T.S.Y. Koo, ed. Resources in fisheries 1962 . Contribution 147, University of Washington, Seattle , Washington . , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 2006. Evolutionary radiation of “stone plants” in the genus Argyroderma (Aizoaceae): unraveling the effects of landscape, habitat, and flowering. Evolution 60:39–55. , , and .
- 2000. Intra- and inter-specific competition and the reproductive success of sympatric Pacific salmon. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 57:205–213. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.11: An integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinformatics Online. 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2003. Bimodal run distribution in a northern population of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): life history and genetic analysis on a temporal scale. Mol. Ecol. 12:1793–1805. , , and .
- 2001. Resource partitioning as a factor limiting gene flow in hybridizing populations of Dolly Varden char (Salvelinus malma) and bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:2037–2047. , and .
- 2005. Population structure attributable to reproductive time: isolation by time and adaptation by time. Mol. Ecol. 14:901–916. , and .
- 2004. Adaptive variation in senescence: reproductive lifespan in a wild salmon population. Proc. Royal Soc., Series B 271:259–266. , , , and .
- 2003. Biocomplexity and fisheries sustainability. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 100:6564–6568. , , , and .
- 2005. Distinguishing trophic and habitat partitioning among sympatric populations of the estuarine fish Osmerus mordax Mitchill. J. Fish Biol. 66:1601–1623. , and .
- 1994. Schooling preferences for familiar fish in the guppy, Poecilia reticulata. J. Fish Biol. 45:401–406. , , , and .
- 1993. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterostrus): origin of the species pairs. Can. J. Zool. 71:515–523.
- 1997. Tools for population genetic analyses (TFPGA) 1.3: a Windows program for the analysis of allozyme and molecular population genetic data. Available at: http://www.marksgeneticsoftware.net/tfpga.htm
- 2000. Familiarity influences body darkening in territorial disputes between juvenile salmon. Anim. Behav. 59:1095–1101. , , and .
- 1968. Distribution of sockeye salmon fry in Lake Aleknagik, Alaska, during the summer of 1962. Pp. 47–100 in R.L. Burgner, ed. Further studies of Alaska Salmon . University of Washington, Seattle , Oregon . , and .
- 1999. Champagne and Aishihik First Nations: Klukshu River sockeye salmon radio telemetry project. Technical Report, 1–23.
- 2004. GeneClass2: a software for genetic assignment and first generation migrant detection. J. Hered. 95:536–539. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2007. The genetic architecture of ecological speciation and the association with signatures of selection in natural lake whitefish (Coregonussp. Salmonidae) species pairs. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1423–1438. , and .
- 2007. Genetic isolation through time: allochronic differentiation of a phenologically a typical population of the pine processionary moth. Proc. Biol. Sci. 7:935–941. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Population diversity and the portfolio effect in an exploited species. Nature 465:609–612. , , , , , , and .
- 1974. Resource partitioning in ecological communities. Science 185:27–39.
- 2001. Early familiarity has fitness consequences for Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) fry. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58:1380–1385. , , , , and .
- 1993. Evidence for multiple origins and sympatric divergence of trophic ecotypes of smelt (Osmerus) in Northeastern North America. Evolution 47:813–832. , and .
- 1996. Biodiversity: population versus ecosystem stability. Ecology 77:350–363.
- 2007. A theoretical investigation of sympatric evolution of temporal reproductive isolation as illustrated by marine broadcast spawners. Evolution 61:2584–2595. , , and .
- 1999. Sexual selection against hybrids between sympatric stickleback species: evidence from a field experiment. Evolution 53:874–879. , and .
- 1987. Evidence for size-selective mortality of juvenile sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in Babine Lake, British Columbia. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 44:712–721. , and .
- 1999. Ecological interactions between fry of reproductively isolated anadromous and non-anadromous morphs of sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka, sharing the same nursery lake. Environ.Biol. Fish. 54:161–173. , , and .
- 2000. Temporal variation in phenotypic and genotypic traits in two sockeye salmon populations, Tustumena Lake, Alaska. Trans.Am. Fish. Soc. 129:1031–1043. , , , and .