Forecasting deforestation and carbon emissions in tropical developing countries facing demographic expansion: a case study in Madagascar
Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1702–1716, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1702–1716
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 3 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2013
- GoodPlanet Foundation
- Air France
- 2002. Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests. Science 297:999–1002. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Tropical deforestation in Madagascar: analysis using hierarchical spatially explicit, Bayesian regression models. Ecol. Model. 185:105–131. , , , , and .
- 1985. The causes of deforestation in developing-countries. Ann. Assoc. Am. Geogr. 75:163–184. , and .
- 1998. Probing tropical deforestation: the use of GIS and statistical analysis of georeferenced data. Appl. Geogr. 18:137–152. , and .
- 2012. Human and environmental controls over aboveground carbon storage in Madagascar. Carbon Balance Manage. 7:2. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Estimated carbon dioxide emissions from tropical deforestation improved by carbon-density maps. Nat. Clim. Change 2:182–185. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Global evidence that deforestation amplifies flood risk and severity in the developing world. Glob. Change Biol. 13:2379–2395. , , , and .
- 2001. Random forests. Mach. Learn. 45:5–32.
- 2005. Why environmental scientists are becoming Bayesians. Ecol. Lett. 8:2–14.
- 2001. Ecological forecasts: an emerging imperative. Science 293:657–660. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The R book. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ.
- 2005. Transition potential modeling for land cover change. ESRI Press, Redlands, CA. , , and .
- FAO. 2005. Global forest resources assessment 2005. Technical report. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy.
- 2006. Démographie et environnement à Madagascar. Econ. Rurale 294–295:41–56. , and .
- 2005. The causes and progression of desertification. Ashgate, Aldershot, Hampshire, England.
- 2001. What drives tropical deforestation? A meta-analysis of proximate and underlying causes of deforestation based on subnational case study evidence. LUCC International Project Office, University of Louvain, Leuven, Belgium, 116 pp. , and .
- 2011. Primary forests are irreplaceable for sustaining tropical biodiversity. Nature 478:378–381. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Updated estimates of biotic diversity and endemism for Madagascar. Oryx 39:73–77. , and .
- 2011. Exploring the association between people and deforestation in Madagascar. Pp. 197–221 in R. P. Cincotta and L. J. Gorenflo, eds. Human population, its influences on biological diversity. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Land use/land cover change dynamics in the Mexican highlands: current situation and long term scenarios. Pp. 57–76 in M. Paegelow and M. Camacho, eds. Modelling environmental dynamics: advances in geomatic solutions. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany. , , and .
- 2007. Fifty years of deforestation and forest fragmentation in Madagascar. Environ. Conserv. 34:325–333. , , , , and .
- 1997. The ecological detective, confronting models with data. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 315 pp. , and .
- 2012. GloVis: U.S. geological survey general information product 137. USGS, Reston, VA, 2 pp. , and .
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. J. Comput. Graph. Stat. 5:299–314. , and .
- IPCC. 2007. Fourth Assessment Report (AR4), climate change 2007: synthesis report. Technical report. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 1998. Economic models of tropical deforestation: a review. CIFOR, Bogor, Indonesia. , and .
- 2010. An assessment of deforestation models for reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD). Trans. GIS 14:631–654.
- 1945. The world demographic transition. Ann. Am. Acad. Polit. Soc. Sci. 237:1–11.
- 2005. A call to ecologists: measuring, analyzing, and managing ecosystem services. Front. Ecol. Environ. 3:540–548. , and .
- 2011. Measuring and comparing the accuracy of species distribution models with presence-absence data. Ecography 34:232–243. , , and .
- 2004. Proximate population factors and deforestation in tropical agricultural frontiers. Popul. Environ. 25:585–612.
- 2005. Population dynamics and tropical deforestation: state of the debate and conceptual challenges. Popul. Environ. 27:89–113. , , and .
- 2008. Un análisis multinivel de población y deforestación en el Parque Nacional Sierra de Lacandón (Petén, Guatemala). Documentos de Anàlisis Geogràfica 52:49–67. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Modelling tropical deforestation: a comparison of approaches. Symposium Remote Sensing of Environment, San José, Costa Rica, 3 pp. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. P. 406 in Open source GIS: a GRASS GIS approach. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany, 406 pp. , and .
- 2009. On fair, effective and efficient REDD mechanism design. Carbon Balance Manage. 4:11. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Reference scenarios for deforestation and forest degradation in support of REDD: a review of data and methods. Environ. Res. Lett. 3:025011. , , , , and .
- 1999. Modelling for prediction of global deforestation based on the growth of human population. ISPRS J. Photogram. Remote Sens. 54:317–324. , and .
- 2011. A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests. Science 333:988–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Comparing two approaches to land use/cover change modeling and their implications for the assessment of biodiversity loss in a deciduous tropical forest. Environ. Model. Softw. 29:11–23. , , and .
- 2011. Death to Kappa: birth of quantity disagreement and allocation disagreement for accuracy assessment. Int. J. Remote Sens. 32:4407–4429. , and .
- 2001. Modeling the spatial pattern of land-use change with GEOMOD2: application and validation for Costa Rica. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 85:191–203. , , and .
- 2008. Comparing the input, output, and validation maps for several models of land change. Ann. Reg. Sci. 42:11–37. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Standardizing the calculation of the annual rate of deforestation. For. Ecol. Manage. 177:593–596.
- 2012. Bayesian probabilistic population projections for all countries. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 109:13915–13921. , , , , and .
- 2007. Challenges to estimating carbon emissions from tropical deforestation. Glob. Change Biol. 13:51–66. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Global-scale patterns of forest fragmentation. Conserv. Ecol. 4:3. , , , , and .
- 2002. DINAMICA – a stochastic cellular automata model designed to simulate the landscape dynamics in an Amazonian colonization frontier. Ecol. Model. 154:217–235. , , and .
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J. R. Stat. Soc. B Stat. Methodol. 64:583–616. , , , and .
- United Nations. 2011. World Population Prospects, the 2010 revision. United Nations, New York, NY.
- 2009. Linear mixed models for longitudinal data. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany, 128 pp. , and .
- 2002. Modeling the spatial dynamics of regional land use: the CLUE-S model. Environ. Manage. 30:391–405. , , , , , and .
- 2012. A universal approach to estimate biomass and carbon stock in tropical forests using generic allometric models. Ecol. Appl. 22:572–583. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Assessment of the relative role of climate change and human activities in desertification: a review. J. Geog. Sci. 21:926–936. , , , and .