Maternal and environmental influences on egg size and juvenile life-history traits in Pacific salmon
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1727–1740, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1727–1740
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 OCT 2012
- Pacific Salmon Foundation
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Watershed Watch Salmon Society
- Climate Change Impacts Research Consortium
- Northern Scientific Training Program
- Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- 2003. The temperature-size rule in ectotherms: simple evolutionary explanations may not be general. Am. Nat. 162:332–342. , and .
- 1997. Why are organisms usually bigger in colder environments? Making sense of a life history puzzle. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:235–239. , and .
- 2009. Unaccounted mortality in salmon fisheries: non-retention in gillnets and effects on estimates of spawners. J. Appl. Ecol. 46:752–761. , and .
- 2012. MuMIn: Multi-model inference. R package version 1.7.11. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=MuMIn. .
- 1985. Effect of female size, egg size, and water temperature on developmental biology of chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta) from the Nitinat River, British Columbia. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 42:1755–1765. , and .
- 1990. Temperature, egg size, and development of embryos and alevins of five species of Pacific salmon: a comparative analysis. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 119:927–945. , and .
- 1996. The particular maternal effect of propagule size, especially egg size: patterns, models, quality of evidence and interpretations. Am. Zool. 36:216–236.
- 2003. Body condition, migration, and timing of reproduction in snow geese: a test of the condition-dependent model of optimal clutch size. Am. Nat. 162:110–121. , , and .
- 1995. First access to territorial space and exposure to strong predation pressure: a conflict in early emerging Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) fry. Evol. Ecol. 9:411–420.
- 2011. Relationships between habitat characteristics and breeding population densities in sockeye salmon. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:1–10. , and .
- 2002. Pp. 1–515 in Model selection and multimodel inference. Springer, New York. , and .
- 2010. The importance of parentage in assessing temperature effects on fish early life history: a review of the experimental literature. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 21:1–30. , , and .
- 2011. Developmental temperature stress and parental identity shape offspring burst swimming performance in sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Ecol. Freshw. Fish 21:176–188. , , and .
- 1996. Maternal influences on variation in egg sizes in temperate marine fishes. Am. Zool. 36:180–196. , and .
- 2004a. Somatic energy of sockeye salmon Oncorhynchus nerka at the onset of upriver migration: a comparison among ocean climate regimes. Fish. Oceanogr. 13:345–349. , , , , and .
- 2004b. Energetics and morphology of sockeye salmon: effects of upriver migratory distance and elevation. J. Fish Biol. 65:788–810. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A carryover effect of migration underlies individual variation in reproductive readiness and extreme egg size dimorphism in macaroni penguins. Am. Nat. 176:357–366. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The impact of different performance measures on model selection for Fraser River sockeye salmon. North Am. J. Fish. Manag. 31:323–334. , , , and .
- 1999. Maternal effects of egg size in brown trout (Salmo trutta): norms of reaction to environmental quality. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:2095–2100. , and .
- 2000. Highly fecund mothers sacrifice offspring survival to maximize fitness. Nature 405:1–3. , and .
- 2002. Egg-size evolution in aquatic environments: does oxygen availability constrain size? Proc. Biol. Sci. 269:2325–2330. , , and .
- 2011. Differences in thermal tolerance among sockeye salmon populations. Science 332:109–112. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Breeding competition in a Pacific salmon (coho: Oncorhynchus kisutch): measures of natural and sexual selection. Evolution 48:637–657.
- 1989. Evolution of adult female life-history and morphology in a Pacific salmon (coho, Oncorhynchus-kisutch). Evolution 43:141–157. , and .
- 1990. Latitudinal clines: a trade-off between egg number and size in Pacific salmon. Ecology 71:1–11. , and .
- 1997. Effects of early experience on the reproductive performance of Atlantic salmon. Behav. Ecol. 8:470–480. , , and .
- 1994. The influence of egg size on offspring performance in the seed beetle, Callosobruchus-maculatus. Oikos 71:321–325.
- 2008. Scaling regression inputs by dividing by two standard deviations. Stat. Med. 27:2865–2873.
- 2011. Multimodel inference in ecology and evolution: challenges and solutions. J. Evol. Biol. 24:699–711. , , , and .
- 2003. Rapid evolution of egg size in captive salmon. Science 299:1738–1740. , , , , and .
- 2003. Revisiting the positive correlation between female size and egg size. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5:421–429. , and .
- 2001. Optimal size and number of propagules: allowance for discrete stages and effects of maternal size on reproductive output and offspring fitness. Am. Nat. 157:387–407. , , and .
- 1991. Fitness consequences of variation in egg size and food abundance in brook trout Salvelinus-fontinalis. Evolution 45:1162–1168.
- 2009. Quantifying six decades of fishery selection for size and age at maturity in sockeye salmon. Evol. Appl. 2:523–536. , , and .
- 2001. Migratory costs and the evolution of egg size and number in introduced and indigenous salmon populations. Evolution 55:1656–1667. , , , and .
- 2000. Mortality during the migration of Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): a study of the effect of ocean and river environmental conditions in 1997. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2315:1–120.
- 1992. The Stuart-Takla fisheries/forestry interaction project: study description and design. Can. Tech. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 1899:1–39. , , and .
- 2010. Modeling the influence of environmental factors on spawning migration mortality for sockeye salmon fisheries management in the Fraser River, British Columbia. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 139:768–782. , , , and .
- 2007. The evolutionary ecology of offspring size in marine invertebrates. Adv. Mar. Biol. 53:1–60. , and .
- 2009. Persistent parental effects on the survival and size, but not burst swimming performance of juvenile sockeye salmon Oncorhynchus nerka. J. Fish Biol. 75:538–551. , , , and .
- 1986. Optimal egg size and clutch size: effects of environment and maternal phenotype. Am. Nat. 128:573–592. , and .
- 2004. Relating the sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) spawning migration experience with offspring fitness: a study of intergenerational effects. Thesis, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby 1–148. .
- 2004. Maternal influence and population differences in activities of mitochondrial and glycolytic enzymes in emergent sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) fry. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 61:1225–1234. , , , , and .
- 1995. The influence of life history trade-offs and the size of incubation gravels on egg size variation in sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Oikos 74:425–438. , , and .
- 1998. Swim speeds and energy use of upriver-migrating sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka): simulating metabolic power and assessing risk of energy depeletion. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55:1832–1841. , and .
- 2011. Why does egg size of salmonids increase with the mean size of population spawning gravels? Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 68:1307–1315. , and .
- 2007. Oxygen as a constraining factor in egg size evolution in salmonids. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 64:692–699.
- 2010. Simple means to improve the interpretability of regression coefficients. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:103–113.
- 1997. Estimation of the 1994 late run sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) escapement to the Stuart River System. Can. Manuscr. Rep. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 2431:1–66. , and .
- 1990. The evolution of maternal investment in lizards - an experimental and comparative-analysis of egg size and its effects on offspring performance. Evolution 44:279–294.
- 1974. The optimal balance between size and number of offspring. Am. Nat. 108:499–506. , and .
- 1985. Burst swimming and size-related predation of newly emerged coho salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 114:546–551. , and .
- 2010. Maternal influences on population dynamics: evidence from an exploited freshwater fish. Ecology 91:2003–2012. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Intraspecific variation in egg size and egg composition in birds - effects on offspring fitness. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc. 69:35–59.
- 2010. A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:3–14. , , and .