Funded by a grant (2006-325) from Formas (The Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning) to MB.
Sex-specific genetic variances in life-history and morphological traits of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus
Article first published online: 2 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 128–138, January 2012
How to Cite
Hallsson, L. R. and Björklund, M. (2012), Sex-specific genetic variances in life-history and morphological traits of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . Ecology and Evolution, 2: 128–138. doi: 10.1002/ece3.56
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 2 DEC 2011
- Received: 09 June 2011; Revised: 13 September 2011; Accepted: 15 September 2011.
- 2002. Growing apart: an ontogenetic perspective on the evolution of sexual size dimorphism. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:369–378.
- 2009. lme4: Linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. , and .
- 2008. The joint effects of kin, multilevel selection and indirect genetic effects on response to genetic selection. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1175–1188. , and .
- 2008. The genetic architecture of fitness in a seed beetle: assessing the potential for indirect genetic benefits of female choice. BMC Evol. Biol. 8:295. , , , , and .
- 2005. Intralocus sexual conflict and the genetic architecture of sexually dimorphic traits in Prochyliza xanthostoma (Diptera: Piophilidae). Evolution 59:1965–1975. , and .
- 1987. Transfer of male secretions from the spermatophore to the female insect in caryedon-serratus (Ol) – analysis of the possible trophic role of these secretions. J. Insect Physiol. 33:949–957. , and .
- 2002. Effect of low stressful temperature on genetic variation of five quantitative traits in Drosophila melanogaster. Heredity 89:70–75. , and .
- 1988. Quantitative genetics of Drosophila melanogaster. II. Heritabilities and genetic correlations between sexes for head and thorax traits. Genetics 119:421–433. , and .
- 1986. Quantitative genetics of Drosophila melanogaster. I. Sexual dimorphism in genetic parameters for wing traits. Genetics 114:549–566. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of cytoplasmic genes on sperm viability and sperm morphology in a seed beetle: implications for sperm competition theory? J. Evol. Biol. 20:358–368. , , and .
- 2007. Female Callosobruchus maculatus mate when they are thirsty: resource-rich ejaculates as mating effort in a beetle. Anim. Behav. 74:183–188.
- 2007. The evolution of sex-biased genes and sex-biased gene expression. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:689–698. , and .
- 1997. Allometry for sexual size dimorphism: pattern and process in the coevolution of body size in males and females. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:659–687.
- 2006. The quantitative genetics of sexual dimorphism: assessing the importance of sex-linkage. Heredity 97:319–328. , and .
- 2007. Chapter 9: Sexual dimorphism in the water strider, Aquarius remigis: a case study of adaptation in response to sexually antagonistic selection. Pp. 97–106 in D. J. Fairbairn , W. Blanckenhorn , and T. Székely , eds. Sex, Size and Gender Roles, Oxford Scholarship Online Monographs , , and .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. Longman, Harlow U.K . , and .
- 1993a. Multiple mating, lifetime fecundity and female mortality of the bruchid beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera, Bruchidae). Funct. Ecol. 7:203–208. .
- 1993b. The influence of maternal age and mating frequency on egg size an offspring performance in Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Oecologia 96:139–146.
- 1994. The influence of egg size on offspring performance in the seed beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus . Oikos 71:321–325.
- 1998. Genetic and maternal influences on body size and development time in the seed beetle Stator limbatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 91:128–134.
- 2003. Gender differences in lifespan and mortality rates in two seed beetle species. Funct. Ecol. 17:619–626. , , and .
- 2004. Complex genetic architecture of population differences in adult lifespan of a beetle: nonadditive inheritance, gender differences, body size and a large maternal effect. J. Evol. Biol. 17:1007–1017. , , and .
- 2006. Postmating sexual selection and its role in population divergence in beetles. PhD Dissertation, Digital Comprehensive summaries of Uppsala Dissertations from the Faculty of Science and Technology 152, Uppsala University , Uppsala , Sweden .
- 2005. Permutation, parametric and bootstrap tests of hypotheses. Springer, London .
- 1997. The effect of novel environment and sex on the additive genetic variation and covariation in and between emergence body weight and development period in the cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera, Bruchidae). Heredity 78:158–165. , , and .
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalized linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R package. J. Stat. Softw. 33:1–22.
- 2007. The effect of non-additive genetic interactions on selection in multi-locus genetic models. Heredity 98:349–359. , and .
- 1992. Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics 130:195–204.
- 1998. Patterns of parental provisioning covary with male morphology in a horned beetle (Onthophagus taurus) (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 42:447–451. , and .
- 2000. Maternal and paternal effects on offspring phenotype in the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus. Evolution 54:936–941. , and .
- 1995. Expression of genetic and environmental variation for life history characters on the usual and novel hosts in Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). Heredity 75:70–76.
- 2003. Sexy to die for? Sexual selection and the risk of extinction. Ann. Zool. Fennici 40:207–219. , and .
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the “animal model”. Philos. Trans. R. S. Lond. B 359:873–890.
- 2008. New answers for old questions: the evolutionary quantitative genetics of wild animal populations. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39:525–548. , , and .
- 1980. Sexual dimorphism, sexual selection, and adaptation in polygenic characters. Evolution 34:292–305.
- 1987. Genetic correlations between the sexes in the evolution of sexual dimorphism and mating preferences. Life Sci. Res. Report 39:83–94.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA 01375 U.S.A. , and .
- 1992. Interaction between influences of seed types and the oviposition marker on egg distribution by Callosobruchus maculatus (Col., Bruchidae). J. Appl. Entomol. 113:228–232.
- 2010. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process III: social evolution. Evolution 64:2558–2574 , , , and .
- 2000. The evolutionary potential of morphology and mating behaviour: the role of epistasis in bottleneck populations. Pp. 177–193 in J. B. Wolf , E. Brodie , and M. Wade , eds. Epistasis and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 1993. Heritability and “evolvability” of fitness components in Callosobruchus maculatus . Heredity 71:623–629.
- 1998. Maternal influences on larval competition in insects. Pp. 227–243 in T. Mousseau and C. Fox , eds. Maternal effects as adaptations. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 2003. Environment-dependent reversal of a life history trade-off in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . J. Evol. Biol. 16:501–509. , and .
- 1999. Expression of a life-history trade-off in a seed beetle depends on environmental context. Physiol. Entomol. 24:358–363. , and .
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process: I. Direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51:1352–1362. , , and .
- 1998. Maternal effects as adaptations. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K. , and .
- 1989. Evolutionary demography of a bruchid beetle. I. Quantitative genetical analysis of the female life history. Funct. Ecol. 3:673–681. , , and .
- 2010. Sex-specific genetic variance and the evolution of sexual dimorphism: a systematic review of cross-sex genetic correlations. Evolution 64:97–107. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna Austria . ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2008. Sexual dimorphism is associated with population fitness in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . Evolution 62:622–30. , and .
- 1996. Sexual size dimorphism as a correlated response to selection on body size: an empirical test of the quantitative genetic model. Evolution 50:1927–1938. , and .
- 2001. Predicting the evolution of sexual size dimorphism. J. Evol. Biol. 14:244–254. , and .
- 1998. Sex linkage among genes controlling sexually selected traits. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 44:1–7.
- 2000. Sex-limited mutations and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Evolution 54:37–43.
- 1984. Sex chromosomes and the evolution of sexual dimorphism. Evolution 38:735–742.
- 2008. Interspecific variation in ejaculate allocation and associated effects on female fitness in seed beetles. J. Evol. Biol. 21:461–470. , , and .
- 1999a. The effect of male mating history on paternal investment, fecundity and female remating in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . Funct. Ecol. 13:169–177. , and .
- 1999b. The effect of male size, age, and mating behavior on sexual selection in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . Ethol. Ecol. Evol. 11:49–60. , and .
- 2000. Paternal investment in the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae): Variation among populations. Ann. Ento. Soc. Am. 93:1173–1178. , , and .
- 1996. The effect of a variable environment on the genetic correlation structure in a field cricket. Evolution 50:275. , and .
- 2007. Environmental effects on sexual size dimorphism of a seed-feeding beetle. Oecologia 153:273–80. , and .
- 1994. Genetics of mortality in the bean beetle Callosobruchus maculatus . Evolution 48:1371–1376. , and .
- 2009. Female seed beetles, Callosobruchus maculatus, remate for male-supplied water rather than ejaculate nutrition. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 63:781–788. , , and .