Surprisingly little population genetic structure in a fungus-associated beetle despite its exploitation of multiple hosts
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1484–1494, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1484–1494
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 DEC 2012
- NSF. Grant Number: IOS-1027251
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- Margaret Walton Scholarship Mountain Lake Biological Station
- Jefferson Scholars Foundation
- 2013. Large-scale natural disturbance alters genetic population structure of the Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna. Am. Nat. 181:254–263. , , , , and .
- 1986. On the dilemma of horns—if long horns give fungus beetles an edge in mating, why do so many males have short horns? Nat. Hist. 95:54–61. , and .
- 2008. Extreme neutral genetic and morphological divergence supports classification of Adriatic three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations as distinct conservation units. Biol. Conserv. 141:1055–1066. , , , , and .
- 2001. Landscape structure and hierarchical genetic diversity in the brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis. Evolution 55:1016–1028. , , and .
- 2002. A spatial and temporal approach to microevolutionary forces affecting population biology in the freshwater snail Biomphalaria pfeifferi. Am. Nat. 160:741–755. , , , , and .
- 1988. Field measurements of natural and sexual selection in the fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus. Evolution 42:736–749.
- 2003. Herbivore responses to plant secondary compounds: a test of phytochemical coevolution theory. Am. Nat. 161:507–522. , and .
- 2004. Genetic differentiation and local adaptation in the salt-marsh beetle Pogonus chalceus: a comparison between allozyme and microsatellite loci. Mol. Ecol. 13:1065–1074. , , and .
- 2012. Nondestructive sampling of insect DNA from defensive secretion. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 12:856–860. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Geographic Distance Matrix Generator (version 1.2.3). American Museum of Natural History, Center for Biodiversity and Conservation. Available at http://biodiversityinformatics.amnh.org/open_source/gdmg (accessed on 18 October 2012). .
- 1998. Comparative analysis of microsatellite and allozyme markers: a case study investigating microgeographic differentiation in brown trout (Salmo trutta). Mol. Ecol. 7:339–353. , , , , , and .
- 2007. A geographically variable model of hemlock woolly adelgid spread. Biol. Invasions 9:369–382. , and .
- 2005. Arlequin (version 3.0): an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. 1:47–50. , , and .
- 1999. Volatiles of bracket fungi Fomitopsis pinicola and Fomes fomentarius and their functions as insect attractants. J. Chem. Ecol. 25:567–590. , , , and .
- 1994. Host fidelity is an effective premating barrier between sympatric races of the apple maggot fly. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91:7990–7994. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Population differentiation and genetic variation in performance on eight hosts in the pea aphid complex. Evolution 62:2508–2524. , , and .
- 2012. Population genetic structure and secondary symbionts in host-associated populations of the pea aphid complex. Evolution 66:375–390. , , , and .
- 2011. Conserving adaptive genetic diversity in dynamic landscapes. Mol. Ecol. 20:1569–1571. , and .
- 2012. Modeling range dynamics in heterogeneous landscapes: invasion of the hemlock woolly adelgid in eastern North America. Ecol. Appl. 22:472–486. , , , , and .
- 2012. Panmixia supports divergence with gene flow in Darwin's small ground finch, Geospiza fuliginosa, on Santa Cruz, Galapagos Islands. Mol. Ecol. 21:2106–2115. , , , , , and .
- 1986. North American Polypores. 1. Fungiflora, Olso, Norway. 433 pages. , and .
- 2010. The effect of habitat fragmentation on the genetic structure of a top predator: loss of diversity and high differentiation among remnant populations of Atlantic Forest jaguars (Panthera onca). Mol. Ecol. 19:4906–4921. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Eco-evolutionary metapopulation dynamics and the spatial scale of adaptation. Am. Nat. 177:29–43. , , and .
- 2002. SPAGEDi: a versatile computer program to analyse spatial genetic structure at the individual or population levels. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2:618–620. , and .
- 2003. Microsatellite allele sizes: a simple test to assess their significance on genetic differentiation. Genetics 163:1467–1482. , , , and .
- 2002. Temporal change in genetic structure and effective population size in steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Mol. Ecol. 11:197–214. , , , and .
- 1968. Movements, host fungus preferences, and longevity of Bolitotherus cornutus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 61:18–23. , and .
- 2004. Ecological genetics of adaptive color polymorphism in pocket mice: geographic variation in selected and neutral genes. Evolution 58:1329–1341. , , and .
- 2009. Differences in defensive volatiles of the forked fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus, living on two species of fungus. J. Chem. Ecol. 35:1302–1308. , , , and .
- 2005. Isolation by distance, web service (v.3.23). BMC Genet. 6:13. Available at http://ibdws.sdsu.edu/ (accessed on 18 October 2012). , , and .
- 2004. Host selection patterns in insects breeding in bracket fungi. Ecol. Entomol. 29:697–705. , and .
- 2010. Population genetic structure of two primary parasitoids of Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera), Chelonus insularis and Campoletis sonorensis (Hymenoptera): to what extent is the host plant important? Mol. Ecol. 19:2168–2179. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists, and the maintenance of diversity. J. Evol. Biol. 15:173–190.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2006. Comparative population genetic study of two oligophagous insects associated with the same hosts. Heredity 97:38–45. , , , , and .
- 2011. No host-associated differentiation in the gall wasp Diplolepis rosae (Hymenoptera: Cynipidae) on three dog rose species. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 102:369–377. , , and .
- 1956. A study of the life history of the forked fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus (Panzer) (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Ohio J. Sci. 56:329–337.
- 2008. Causes and consequences of dispersal in the forked fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus. Doctoral dissertation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA.
- 2003. Landscape genetics: combining landscape ecology and population genetics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:189–197. , , , and .
- 1996. Adaptive genetic structure in phytophagous insect populations. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:235–238.
- 2004. Does gene flow constrain adaptive divergence or vice versa? A test using ecomorphology and sexual isolation in Timema cristinae walking-sticks. Evolution 58:102–112. , and .
- 2003. Long-term temporal changes of genetic composition in brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) populations inhabiting an unstable environment. Mol. Ecol. 12:3123–3135. , , , and .
- 1967. Life history and behavior of a fungus beetle, Bolitotherus cornutus (Tenebrionidae). Occas. Pap. Mus. Zool. Univ. Mich. 653:1114–1128.
- 1969. Pp. 286 in An introduction to mathematical ecology. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- Promega. 2010. DNA IQ System—small sample casework protocol. Section 4C. DNA isolation from liquid samples. Promega Corporation, Madison, WI.
- Qiagen. 2010. QIAGEN Multiplex PCR Handbook: amplification of microsatellite loci using multiplex PCR. Hilden, Germany.
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, Available at http://www.R-project.org/.
- 2010. Putting eggs in one basket: ecological and evolutionary hypotheses for variation in oviposition-site choice. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 41:39–57. , and .
- 1996. Oviposition site choice and life history evolution. Am. Zool. 36:205–215.
- 2010. The effect of host plant and isolation on the genetic structure of phytophagous insects: a preliminary study on a bruchid beetle. Eur. J. Entomol. 107:299–304. , , , and .
- 2011. Genetic analysis of differentiation among breeding ponds reveals a candidate gene for local adaptation in Rana arvalis. Mol. Ecol. 20:1582–1600. , , , and .
- 2011. Genetic structure and long-distance dispersal in populations of the wingless pest springtail, Sminthurus viridis (Collembola: Sminthuridae). Genet. Res. 93:1–12. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2003. Ecological and genetic spatial structuring in the Canadian lynx. Nature 425:69–72. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Molecular evidence of host-associated genetic divergence in the holly leafminer Phytomyza glabricola (Diptera: Agromyzidae): apparent discordance among marker systems. Mol. Ecol. 16:2627–2637. , and .
- 2006. The role of habitat heterogeneity in population dynamics: from individual behavior to metapopulation structure. Doctoral dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA.
- 1995. A measure of population subdivision based on microsatellite allele frequencies. Genetics 139:457–462.
- 2006. The ecology of energy and nutrient fluxes in hemlock forests invaded by hemlock woolly adelgid. Ecology 87:1792–1804. , , and .
- 2005. Host-associated genetic differentiation in phytophagous insects: general phenomenon or isolated exceptions? Evidence from a goldenrod-insect community. Evolution 59:2573–2587. , , and .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of adaptive deme formation in phytophagous insect populations. Am. Nat. 152:595–604. , and .
- 2009. Natural selection in action during speciation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:9939–9946.
- 2000. Reproductive isolation between divergent races of pea aphids on two hosts. II. Selection against migrants and hybrids in the parental environments. Evolution 54:1626–1637. , , and .
- 2012. Effects of hemlock mortality on streams in the southern Appalachian Mountains. Am. Midl. Nat. 168:112–131. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Estimating F-statistics for the analysis of population-structure. Evolution 38:1358–1370. , and .
- 1992. Nonequilibrium population-structure in forked fungus beetles – extinction, colonization, and the genetic variance among populations. Am. Nat. 139:952–970.
- 1995. Hemlock woolly adelgid (Homoptera: Adelgidae): stylet bundle insertion and feeding sites. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 88:827–835. , , and .