Parallel and non-parallel morphological divergence among foraging specialists in European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus)
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1590–1602, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1590–1602
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 JAN 2013
- Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 186320/V40
- 2004. Incipient speciation driven by phenotypic plasticity? Evidence from sympatric populations of Arctic charr. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 81:611–618. , and .
- 2004. Geometric morphometrics: ten years of progress following the ‘revolution’. It. J. Zool. 71:5–16. , , and .
- 1988. Habitat and food segregation of two sympatric populations of whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L. s.l.) in Stuorajavri, northern Norway. Nord. J. Freshw. Res. 64:67–73.
- 2004a. Gill raker morphology and feeding ecology of two sympatric morphs of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 41:291–300. , , and .
- 2004b. Resource competition and interactive segregation between sympatric whitefish morphs. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 41:301–307. , , , and .
- 1983. Morphology, performance and fitness. Am. Zool. 23:347–361.
- 1982. The diet of four sympatric whitefish species in Lake Parkijaure. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 60:5–14.
- 2004. Ecological theory of adaptive radiation. An empirical assessment from coregonine fishes (Salmoniformes). Pp. 175–207 in A. P. Hendry and S. C. Stearns, eds. Evolution illuminated, salmon and their relatives. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 2010. Constraints on speciation suggested by comparing lake-stream stickleback divergence across two continents. Mol. Ecol. 19:4963–4978. , , , and .
- 1994. Multivariate-analysis of geographic covariance between phenotypes and environments in the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, from the Cook Inlet Area, Alaska. Can. J. Zool. 72:1497–1509. , , , and .
- 2011. Hypoxia drives plastic divergence in cichlid body shape. Evol. Ecol. 25:949–964. , and .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2009. Parallelism and historical contingency during rapid ecotype divergence in an isopod. J. Evol. Biol. 22:1098–1110. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Ancient hybridization and phenotypic novelty within Lake Malawi's cichlid fish radiation. Mol. Biol. Evol. 29:195–206. , and .
- 2012. Coexistence and origin of trophic ecotypes of pygmy whitefish, Prosopium coulterii, in southwestern Alaskan lake. J. Evol. Biol. 25:2432–2448. , , and .
- 2008. Comparative analysis of the size and shape of the lizard eye. Zoology 111:62–75.
- 2007. Eye shape and activity pattern in birds. J. Zool. 271:437–444. , and .
- 2001. PAST: paleontological statistics software package for education and data analysis. Paleontologia Electronica 4:9. , , and .
- 2010. Phenotype-environment correlations in a putative whitefish adaptive radiation. J. Anim. Ecol. 79:1057–1068. , , and .
- 1993. Ecological polymorphism in Arctic charr. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 48:63–74. , and .
- 2001. Predation environment predicts divergent life-history phenotypes among populations of the livebearing fish Brachyrhaphis rhabdophora. Oecologia 126:142–149. , and .
- 1992. Are parallel morphologies of cave organisms the result of similar selection pressures. Evolution 46:353–365. , , and .
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66:402–418. , , , and .
- 2006. Morphological differentiation and resource polymorphism in three sympatric whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 68:63–79. , and .
- 2004. Diel and seasonal habitat and food segregation of three sympatric Coregonus lavaretus forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 64:418–434. , , , and .
- 2011. The role of gill raker number variability in adaptive radiation of coregonid fish. Evol. Ecol. 25:573–588. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Evidence for genetic differences in the offspring of two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr. J. Fish Biol. 60:933–950. , , , and .
- 2006. Divergent, genetically based feeding behaviour of two sympatric Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), morphs. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 15:350–355. , , , and .
- 1996. Multivariate allometry. Pp. 23–49 in L. F. Marcus, M. Corti, A. Loy, G. Naylor and D. E. Slice, eds. Advances in morphometrics. Plenum Press, New York, NY.
- 2011. MorphoJ: an integrated software package for geometric morphometrics. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 11:353–357.
- 2011. A novel resource polymorphism in fish, driven by differential bottom environments: an example from an ancient lake in Japan. PLoS ONE 6:e17430. , , and .
- 2002. Morphological segregation of Icelandic threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76:247–257. , , and .
- 2011. Relationships between lake ecology and morphological characters in Icelandic Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 103:761–771. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Predicting evolution with generalized models of divergent selection: a case study with Poeciliid fish. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50:1167–1184.
- 2004. Shared and unique features of evolutionary diversification. Am. Nat. 164:335–349. , and .
- 2007. Complex phenotype-environment associations revealed in an East African cyprinid. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1171–1181. , , and .
- 2009. Lizards in an evolutionary tree: ecology and adaptive radiation of Anoles. University of California Press, Berkely, CA.
- 1984. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) - morphological and genetic evidence for a species pair in Enos Lake, British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 62:1402–1408.
- 1999. Variation in feeding morphology between pumpkinseed populations: phenotypic plasticity or evolution? Evol. Ecol. Res. 1:111–128. , , and .
- 2005a. Evolutionary history of the European whitefish Coregonus lavaretus (L.) species complex as inferred from mtDNA phylogeography and gill-raker numbers. Mol. Ecol. 14:4371–4387. , , , , and .
- 2005b. Morphological divergence and origin of sympatric populations of European whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus L.) in Lake Femund, Norway. J. Evol. Biol. 18:683–702. , , , , and .
- 1989. The relationship of ocular morphology to feeding modes and activity periods in shallow marine teleosts from New Zealand. Environ. Biol. Fishes 26:201–211.
- Ecological speciation in postglacial European whitefish: rapid adaptive radiations into the littoral, pelagic and profundal lake habitats. Mol. Ecol. , , , , , , et al. in review.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2010. TpsDig v2.16. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State Univ. New York, Stony Brook, NJ. .
- 2011. “Same same but different”: replicated ecological speciation at White Sands. Evolution 65:946–960. , and .
- 2001. Crossflow filtration in suspension-feeding fishes. Nature 412:439–441. , , , , and .
- 2000. The ecology of adaptive radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2010. Morphological differences between the eyeballs of nocturnal and diurnal amniotes revisited from optical perspectives of visual environments. Vision. Res. 50:936–946. , and .
- 2011. Nocturnality constrains morphological and functional diversity in the eyes of reef fishes. BMC Evol. Biol. 11:338. , and .
- 1994. Wing-shape variation between resident and transient wintering Siskins Carduelis spinus. J. Avian Biol. 25:50–54. , , and .
- 2010. Sympatric diversification as influenced by ecological opportunity and historical contingency in a young species lineage of whitefish. Evol. Ecol. Res. 12:929–947. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Temporal stability in gill raker numbers of subarctic European whitefish populations. Adv. Limnol. 63:229–240. , , and .
- 2013. Discrete foraging niches promote ecological, phenotypic and genetic divergence in sympatric whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus). Evol. Ecol. 27:547–564. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Resource polymorphisms in vertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:366–370. , and .
- 1989. Ontogeny of trophic morphology in four sympatric morphs of arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in Thingvallavatn, Iceland. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 38:281–301. , , and .
- 1996. Evolutionary significance of resource polymorphisms in fishes, amphibians, and birds. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:111–133. , and .
- 2007. 10 000 years later: evolution of body shape in Haida Gwaii three-spined stickleback. J. Fish Biol. 70:1484–1503. , and .
- 1950. The coregonid problem. II. Morphology of two coregonid species in different environments. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 31:151–162.
- 1952. The coregonid problem. IV. The significance of scales and gillrakers. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 33:204–232.
- 1979. Speciation of Scandinavian Coregonus. Rep. Inst. Freshw. Res. Drottningholm 57:3–95.
- 1999. Species flock in the North American Great Lakes: molecular ecology of Lake Nipigon ciscoes (Teleostei: Coregonidae: Coregonus). Evolution 53:1857–1871. , , and .
- 1994. Functional morphology as a tool in ecological research. Pp. 42–59 in P. C. Wainwright and S. M. Reilly, eds. Ecological morphology: integrative organismal biology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1996. Ecological explanation through functional morphology: the feeding biology of sunfishes. Ecology 77:1336–1343.
- 1991. Trophic polymorphism in the pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus Linnaeus): effects of environment on ontogeny. Funct. Ecol. 5:40–55. , , and .
- 1994. Trophic polymorphisms, plasticity, and speciation in vertebrates. Pp. 19–43 in D. J. Stouder, K. Fresh and R. J. Feller, eds. Theory and application in fish feeding ecology. University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, SC.
- 1991. Ecomorphological diversification in lowland fresh-water fish assemblages from five biotic regions. Ecol. Monogr. 61:343–365.
- 2004. Geometric morphometrics for biologists: a primer. Elsevier Academic Press, London, UK. , , , and .
- 2006. Phenotypic diversity of lake trout in Great Slave Lake: differences in morphology, buoyancy, and habitat depth. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 135:1056–1067. , , and .