Water temperature, not fish morph, determines parasite infections of sympatric Icelandic threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1507–1517, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1507–1517
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2013
- Academy of Finland. Grant Numbers: 121993, 259256
- Finnish Academy Centre of Excellence of Evolutionary Research
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 31003A-113666
- 1992. Physical characteristics of Thingvallavatn, Iceland. Oikos 64:121–135. , , and .
- 2003. Effects of experimental Schistocephalus solidus infections on growth, morphology and sexual development of female three-spined sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Parasitology 126:359–367. , and .
- 2007. MHC adaptive divergence between closely related and sympatric African cichlids. PLoS One 2:e734. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Controls of spatial variation in the prevalence of trematode parasites infecting a marine snail. Ecology 89:439–451. , , , , and .
- 2000. Helminth communities of yellow perch (Perca flavescens (Mitchill)): determinants of pattern. Can. J. Zool. 78:538–555. , and .
- 1969. The parasites of the three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L. from a Yorkshire pond. II. Variation of the parasite fauna with sex and size of fish. J. Fish Biol. 1:339–347.
- 1980. Effects of the eyefluke, Diplostomum spathaceum, on the behaviour of dace (Leuciscus leuciscus). Anim. Behav. 28:287–294. , and .
- 2004. The ecology of Lake Myvatn and River Laxá: variation in space and time. Aquat. Ecol. 38:317–348. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Speciation accelerated and stabilized by pleiotropic major histocompatibility complex immunogenes. Ecol. Lett. 12:5–12. , , , and .
- 2011. Parasite diversity, patterns of MHC II variation and olfactory based mate choice in diverging three-spined stickleback ecotypes. Evol. Ecol. 25:605–622. , , , , , and .
- 2012a. Rapid and adaptive evolution of MHC genes under parasite selection in experimental vertebrate populations. Nat. Commun. 3:621. , , , and .
- 2012b. Divergent selection on locally adapted major histocompatibility complex immune genes experimentally proven in the field. Ecol. Lett. 15:723–731. , , , and .
- 2008. Spatial and temporal structure of the trematode component community in Valvata macrostoma (Gastropoda, Prosobranchia). Parasitology 135:1691–1699. , , and .
- 2005. Physico-chemical determinants of helminth component community structure in whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformes) from adjacent lakes in Northern Alberta, Canada. Parasitology 131:713–722. , , and .
- 2000. Perch (Perca fluviatilis L.) parasites reflect ecosystem conditions: a comparison of a natural lake and two acidic reservoirs in Finland. Int. J. Parasitol. 30:1437–1444. , , and .
- 1982. Heritable true fitness and bright birds – a role for parasites. Science 218:384–387. , and .
- 2011. Rapid parallel adaptive radiations from a single hybridogenic ancestral population. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:58–66. , , and .
- 1995. Spatial variation in infection by digenetic trematodes in a population of fresh-water snails (Potamopyrgus antipodarum). Oecologia 103:509–517. , and .
- 1992. Metabolism and community dynamics within Nitella opaca (Charophyceae) beds in Thingvallavatn. Oikos 64:241–256. , , , , and .
- 2012. The role of parasitism in adaptive radiations – when might parasites promote and when might they constrain ecological speciation? Int. J. Ecol. Article ID 208169. , and .
- 2008. Effect of eye fluke infection on the growth of whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus) – An experimental approach. Aquaculture 279:6–10. , and .
- 2004a. Parasite resistance and avoidance behaviour in preventing eye fluke infections in fish. Parasitology 129:159–164. , , and .
- 2004b. Eye fluke-induced cataract formation in fish: quantitative analysis using an ophthalmological microscope. Parasitology 129:473–478. , , and .
- 2013. Differentiation in parasitism among ecotypes of whitefish segregating along depth gradients. Oikos 122:122–128. , , , and .
- 1991. Influence of pollution on parasites of aquatic animals. Adv. Parasitol. 30:201–238. , and .
- 1997. Parasite communities in two sympatric morphs of Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus (L.), in northern Norway. Can. J. Zool. 75:2003–2009. , , and .
- 2003. Inter- and intra-morph patterns in helminth communities of sympatric whitefish morphs. J. Fish Biol. 62:847–859. , , and .
- 2006. Incipient speciation through niche expansion: an example from the Arctic charr in a subarctic lake. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:2291–2298. , , , and .
- 1991. Dactylogyrids on the gills of roach in central Finland: features of infection and species composition. Int. J. Parasitol. 21:565–572. , , and .
- 2002. Morphological segregation of Icelandic threespined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus L.). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76:247–257. , , and .
- 1997. Environmental parasitology: what can parasites tell us about human impact on the environment? Parasitol. Today 13:251–255.
- 2009. Parasite burdens differ between sympatric three-spined stickleback species. Ecography 32:153–160.
- 2001. Implications of climate change for parasitism of animals in the aquatic environment. Can. J. Zool. 79:1331–1352.
- 1996. On the distribution and abundance of eel parasites in Nova Scotia: influence of pH. J. Parasitol. 82:389–399. , and .
- 1997. Food webs: a plea for parasites. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:320–325. , and .
- 2010. Sympatric and allopatric divergence of MHC genes in threespine stickleback. PLoS One 5:e10948. , , , , and .
- 2012. Parasites and parallel divergence of the number of individual MHC alleles between sympatric three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus morphs in Iceland. J. Fish Biol. 81:1696–1714. , , and .
- 2009. Parallels, nonparallels, and plasticity in population differentiation of threespine stickleback within a lake. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 98:803–813. , and .
- 2007a. Morphological and genetic divergence of intralacustrine stickleback morphs in Iceland: a case for selective differentiation? J. Evol. Biol. 20:603–616. , , and .
- 2007b. Postglacial intra-lacustrine divergence of Icelandic threespine stickleback morphs in three neovolcanic lakes. J. Evol. Biol. 20:1870–1881. , , and .
- 1971. Quantitative effects of three species of parasites on a population of three-spined sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. J. Zool. 165:143–162.
- 1995. Phylogeny, ecology, and the richness of parasite communities in vertebrates. Ecol. Monogr. 65:283–302.
- 2006. Global warming and temperature-mediated increases in cercarial emergence in trematode parasites. Parasitology 132:143–151.
- 2011. The biogeography of parasitism in sticklebacks: distance, habitat differences and the similarity in parasite occurrence and abundance. Ecography 34:540–551. , , , and .
- 2001. Ecological causes of sex-biased parasitism threespine stickleback. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 73:51–63. , and .
- 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 351:807–814.
- 2006. African cichlid fish: a model system in adaptive radiation research. Proc. Biol. Sci. 273:1987–1998.
- 2005. Manipulation of fish hosts by eye flukes in relation to cataract formation and parasite infectivity. Anim. Behav. 70:889–894. , , and .
- 1995. Resource polymorphisms in vertebrates. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10:366–370. , and .
- 1995. Influence of the transmission of parasites from prey fishes on the composition of the parasite community of a predatory fish. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 52:233–245. , and .
- 1997. Eutrophication, pollution, and fragmentation: effects on parasite communities in roach (Rutilus rutilus) and perch (Perca fluviatilis) in four lakes in central Finland. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 54:572–585. , , and .
- 2003. Parasite communities as indicators of recovery from pollution: parasites of roach (Rutilus rutilus) and perch (Perca fluviatilis) in central Finland. Parasitology 126:43–52. , , , and .
- 2010. Vertebrate diets derived from trophically transmitted fish parasites in the Bothnian Bay. Oecologia 162:139–152. , , and .
- 2009. Divergence along a steep ecological gradient an lake whitefish (Coregonus sp.). J. Evol. Biol. 22:498–514. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Eutrophication causes speciation reversal in whitefish adaptive radiations. Nature 482:357–362. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Ecological opportunity and sexual selection together predict adaptive radiation. Nature 487:366–369. , , and .
- 2003a. Parasite selection for immunogenetic optimality. Science 301:1343. , , , , and .
- 2003b. Multiple parasites are driving major histocompatibility complex polymorphism in the wild. J. Evol. Biol. 16:224–232. , , and .