Embryonic lethality leads to hybrid male inviability in hybrids between Drosophila melanogaster and D. santomea
Article first published online: 23 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1580–1589, June 2013
Total views since publication: 307
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1580–1589
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2013
- Chicago Fellowships
- 2010. Genetic testing of the hypothesis that hybrid male lethality results from a failure in dosage compensation. Genetics 184:313–316.
- 2000. The Drosophila melanogaster hybrid male rescue gene causes inviability in male and female species hybrids. Genetics 154:1747–1771. , , and .
- 2003. A rapidly evolving MYB-related protein causes species isolation in Drosophila. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100:5302–5307. , , , and .
- 2007. Developmental and cell cycle progression defects in Drosophila hybrid males. Genetics 177:2233–2241. , , , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2009. Species-specific heterochromatin prevents mitotic chromosome segregation to cause hybrid lethality in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 7:e1000234. , and .
- 2012. Abundant genetic variability in Drosophila simulans for hybrid female lethality in interspecific crosses to D. melanogaster. Genet. Res. (Camb.) 94:1–7. , and .
- 1922. Sex-ratio and unisexual sterility in hybrid animals. J. Genet. 12:101–109.
- 1987. Genetic rescue of inviable hybrids between Drosophila melanogaster and its sibling species. Nature 327:331–333. , and .
- 1967. Studies on an embryonic lethal hybrid in Drosophila. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 17:405–423.
- 2011. The genetics of hybrid incompatibilities. Annu. Rev. Genet. 45:331–355. , and .
- 2010. Intrinsic reproductive isolation between two sister species of Drosophila. Evolution 64:903–920. , and .
- 2009. Thermal adaptation and extrinsic reproductive isolation in two species of Drosophila. Evolution 63:583–594. , , and .
- 2010. A test of the snowball theory for the rate of evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Science 329:1518–1521. , , , and .
- 1940. Bearing of the Drosophila work on systematics. Pp. 185–268 in J. Hux1ey, ed. The new systematics. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2011. The genes underlying the process of speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:160–167. , and .
- 1993a. A mathematical model of Haldane's rule. Evolution 47:1606–1611.
- 1993b. Haldane's rule has multiple genetic causes. Nature 361:532–533.
- 1997. Haldane's rule. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:195–218.
- 1996. Dominance and Haldane's rule. Genetics 143:613–616. , and .
- 1997. The developmental genetics of hybrid inviability: a mitotic defect in Drosophila hybrids. Genetics 145:1031–1040. , , , , and .
- 2009. A single gene causes both male sterility and segregation distortion in Drosophila hybrids. Science 323:376–378. , and .
- 2003. A fine-scale genetic analysis of hybrid incompatibilities in Drosophila. Genetics 163:955–972.
- 1998. Haldane's rule is obeyed in taxa lacking a hemizygous X. Science 282:952–954. , and .
- 2003. Adaptive evolution drives divergence of a hybrid inviability gene in Drosophila. Nature 423:715–719. , , , and .
- 2008. Speciation in birds. Roberts and Company, Greenwood Village, CO.
- R Development Core Team. 2005. R: a language and environment for statistical computing, reference index version 2.2.1. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at http://www.R-project.org. (accessed June 6, 2011).
- 1983. Development of imaginal discs from lethal hybrids between Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila mauritiana. Rouxs Arch. Dev. Biol. 192:48–50. , and .
- 1997. Reproductive isolation and morphogenetic evolution in Drosophila analyzed by breakage of ethological barriers. Genetics 147:231–242. , and .
- 1997. Characterization of a reproductive isolation gene, zygotic hybrid rescue, of Drosophila melanogaster by using minichromosomes. Heredity 79:97–103. , and .
- 1993a. Hybrid lethal systems in the Drosophila melanogaster species complex. I. The maternal hybrid rescue (mhr) gene of Drosophila simulans. Genetics 133:299–305. , , and .
- 1993b. Hybrid lethal systems in the Drosophila melanogaster species complex. II. The Zygotic hybrid rescue (Zhr) gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 133:307–313. , , and .
- 1974. Somatic cell genetics applied to species hybrids of Drosophila. Experientia 30:709. , and .
- 1920. Genetic studies on Drosophila simulans. I. Introduction. Hybrids with Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 5:488–500.
- 2004. Temporal patterns of fruit fly (Drosophila) evolution revealed by mutation clocks. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21:36–44. , , and .
- 2009. Evolution of the Drosophila nuclear pore complex results in multiple hybrid incompatibilities. Science 323:779–782. , and .
- 2004. Sex-specific GFP-expression in Drosophila embryos and sorting by Copas flow cytometry technique. Presented at the 45th Annual Drosophila Research Conference, Washington, DC, 24–28 March 2004. , , and .