No evidence of sperm conjugate formation in an Australian mouse bearing sperm with three hooks
Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1856–1863, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1856–1863
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 20 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 MAR 2013
- Fortescue Metals Group Ltd
- 1999. Microsatellites indicate a high frequency of multiple paternity in Apodemus (Rodentia). Mol. Ecol. 8:107–111. , , and .
- 1973. Occurrence of successful multiple insemination of females in natural populations of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus). Evolution 27:106–110. , and .
- 1998. Sperm competition and sexual selection. Academic Press, London. , and .
- 1999. Sperm mobility determines the outcome of serpm competition in the domestic fowl. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:1759–1764. , , , and .
- 1983. Variation in sperm morphology in the Australian rodent genus, Pseudomys (Muridae). Cell Tissue Res. 229:611–625.
- 1990. Comparative studies on the timing of reporduction and foetal number in six species of Australian conilurine rodents (Muridae: Hydromyinae). J. Zool. 221:1–10.
- 2004. The spermatozoon of Eurasian murine rodents: its morphological diversity and evolution. J. Morphol. 261:52–69.
- 1992. Breeding systems of spinifix hopping mice (Notomys alexis) and plains rats (Pseudomys australis): a test for multiple paternity in the laboratory. Aust. J. Zool. 40:13–20. , and .
- 2007. Native mice and rats. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Victoria. , and .
- 2000. Body mass, testes mass, and sperm size in murine rodents. J. Mammal. 81:758–768. , and .
- 1997. The evolution of sperm size in birds. Evolution 51:937–945. , , and .
- 2003. Sperm competition and the evolution of gamete morphology in frogs. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:2079–2086. , , and .
- 1996. Intracellular concentration in equine spermatozoa attached to oviductal epithelial cells in vitro. Biol. Reprod. 54:783–788. , , and .
- 2009. Sperm competition and the evolution of the sperm hook in house mice. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2505–2511. , and .
- 2010. Experimental evolution of sperm quality via postcopulatory sexual selection in house mice. Evolution 64:1245–1256. , and .
- 2011. Experimental evolution of sperm competitiveness in a mammal. BMC Evol. Biol. 11:19. , and .
- 2011. Sperm competition does not influence sperm hook morphology in selection lines of house mice. J. Evol. Biol. 24:856–862. , , and .
- 2013. Strategic adjustments in sperm production within and between two island populations of house mice. Evolution (in press). , , and ,
- 2010. Competition drives cooperation among closely related sperm of deer mice. Nature 463:801–803. , and .
- 2009. Female promiscuity promotes the evolution of faster sperm in cichlid fishes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:1128–1132. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Spermatozoal traits and sperm competition in Atlantic salmon: relative sperm velocity is the primary determinant of fertilization success. Curr. Biol. 14:44–47. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Sperm swimming velocity predicts competitive fertilization success in the green swordtail Xiphophorus helleri. PLoS ONE 5:1–5. , , , and .
- 1991. Sperm competition influences sperm size in mammals. Proc. Biol. Sci. 243:181–185. , and .
- 1993. Coevolution between male ejaculates and female reproductive biology in eutherian mammals. Proc. Biol. Sci. 252:7–12. , and .
- 2006. Sperm competition enhances functional capacity of mammalian spermatozoa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:15113–15117. , , , , and .
- 2011. Evolution of intra-ejaculate sperm interactions: do sperm cooperate? Biol. Rev. 86:249–270. , and .
- 2001. Experimental evidence for testis size evolution via sperm competition. Ecol. Lett. 4:10–13. , and .
- 2002. Sperm viability and sperm competition in insects. Curr. Biol. 12:121–123. , and .
- 2007. By hook or by crook? Morphometry, competition and cooperation in rodent sperm. PLoS ONE 1:e170. , , , and .
- 1995. Specific inhibition of equine sperm binding to oviduct epithelium. Biol. Reprod. Monogr. 1:689–696. , , , and .
- 2009. Sperm morphology and sperm velocity in passerine birds. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1175–1181. , , , and .
- 2002. Exceptional sperm cooperation in the wood mouse. Nature 418:174–177. , , , and .
- 2003. Microsatellite primers for the Western Pebble-mound Mouse (Pseudomys chapmani) that show cross amplification for other species of Australian rodent. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3:259–261. , and .
- 1970. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Biol. Rev. 45:525–567.
- 2009. Sperm competition and the sperm phenotype. Pp. 205–244 in T. R. Birkhead, D. J. Hosken, S. Pitnick, eds. Sperm biology, and evolutionary perspective. Elsevier, London. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of eutherian spermatozoa and underlying selective forces: female selection and sperm competition. Biol. Rev. 67:551–593. , , and .
- 1968. The mouse: its reproduction and development. Burgess Publishing Company, Minneapolis.
- 2001. Sperm competition and its evolutionary consequences in the insects. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2008. Evolutionary reduction in testes size and competitive fertilisation success in response to the experimental removal of sexual selection in dung beetles. Evolution 62:2580–2591. , and .
- 1990. The viability of hamster sperm stored in the isthmus of the oviduct: the importance of sperm-epithelium contact for sperm survival. Biol. Reprod. 42:450–457. , and .
- 1991. Attachment and release of spermatozoa from the caudal isthmus of the hamster oviduct. J. Reprod. Fertil. 91:567–573. , and .
- 1972. Reproduction in the Australian desert rodents, Notomys alexis and Pseudomys australis. Aust. Mammal. 1:1–17. , , and .
- 1997. Sperm competition in fishes: the evolution of testis size and ejaculate characteristics. Am. Nat. 149:933–954. , , , and .
- 1987. Sperm transport and motility in the mouse oviduct: observations in situ. Biol. Reprod. 36:203–210.
- 1995. Changes associated with induced capacitation influence the interaction between equine spermatozoa and oviduct epithelial cell monolayers. Biol. Reprod. Monogr. 1:697–705. , , and .
- 1979. Reproductive parameters of some Australian rodents. Aust. J. Zool. 20:305–311.