Population admixture and high larval viability among urban toads
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1677–1691, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1677–1691
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2013
- University of Tokyo
- 2004. Habitat fragmentation causes bottlenecks and inbreeding in the European tree frog (Hyla arborea). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 271:1293–1302. , , and .
- 2001. The role of hybridization in evolution. Mol. Ecol. 10:551–568.
- 2002. IBD (isolation by distance): a program for analyses of isolation by distance. J. Hered. 93:153–154.
- 2001. Polymerase chain reaction primers for microsatellite loci in the common toad Bufo bufo. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 1:308–310. , , , and .
- 1990. Speciation by hybridization in phasmids and other insects. Can. J. Zool. 68:1747–1760. , and .
- 2010. Strong reproductive barriers in a narrow hybrid zone of West-Mediterranean green toads (Bufo viridis subgroup) with Plio-Pleistocene divergence. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:232. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Description and power analysis of two tests for detecting recent population bottlenecks from allele frequency data. Genetics 144:2001–2014. , and .
- 2006. Effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on amphibians: a review and prospectus. Biol. Conserv. 128:231–240.
- 2011. Don't judge species on their origins. Nature 474:153–154. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Habitat fragmentation reduces genetic diversity and connectivity among toad populations in the Brazilian Atlantic Coastal Forest. Biol. Conserv. 142:1560–1569. , , , and .
- 1997. The role of hybridization and introgression in the diversification of animals. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:593–619. , and .
- 2000. Hybridization as a stimulus for the evolution of invasiveness in plants? Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:7043–7050. , and .
- 2000. Simulating the extinction of parental lineages from introgressive hybridization: the effects of fitness, initial proportions of parental taxa, and mate choice. Rev. Fish Biol. Fisheries 10:339–354. , and .
- 2006. Intraspecific hybridization and the recovery of fitness in the native legume Chamaecrista fasciculata. Evolution 60:225–233. , and .
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software structure: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2010. Arlequin suite ver 3.5: a new series of programs to perform population genetics analyses under Linux and Windows. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 10:564–567. , and .
- 2012. The biology of small, introduced populations, with special reference to biological control. Evol. Appl. 5:424–443. , , , and .
- 1979. Structure and dynamics of a narrow hybrid zone between Geocrinia Laevis and G. Victoriana (Anura, Leptodactylidae) in Southeastern Australia. Heredity 43:165. , , and .
- 1986. Minimum viable populations: processes of species extinction. Pp. 19–34 in M. E. Soulé, ed. Conservation biology: the science of scarcity and diversity. Sinauer, Sunderland. , and .
- 1994. Growth and survival of postmetamorphic toads: interactions among larval history, density, and parasitism. Ecology 75:2264–2274.
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 13:183–190.
- 1995. FSTAT (vers. 1.2): a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 6:485–486.
- 2008. Amphibian ecology and conservation in the urbanising world: a review. Biol. Conserv. 141:2432–2449. , and .
- 2012. High degree of mitochondrial haplotype diversity in the Japanese common toad Bufo japonicus in urban Tokyo. Zool. Sci. 29:702–708. , , and .
- 1981. Ecological studies of Bufo bufo formosus Boulenger (VI) difference of postmetamorphic growth rate and the sexual maturity between sexes in the natural population. mesc. rep. inst. nat. study natl. sci. museum (in Japanese). 12:103–113.
- 1997. Genetic substructuring as a result of barriers to gene flow in urban Rani temporaries (common frog) populations: implications for biodiversity conservation. Heredity 79:117–127. , and .
- 1998. Loss of genetic diversity and fitness in common toad (Bufo bufo) populations isolated by inimical habitat. J. Evol. Biol. 11:269–283. , and .
- 2012. Human-impacted landscapes facilitate hybridization between a native and an introduced tree. Evol. Appl. 5:720–731. , , , , and .
- 1999. Rapid displacement of native species by invasive species: effects of hybridization. Biol. Conserv. 89:143–152.
- 2011. Long-term experimental hybrid swarms between moderately incompatible Tigriopus californicus populations: hybrid inferiority in early generations yields to hybrid superiority in later generations. Conserv. Genet. 12:895–909. , , , , and .
- 2006. Molecular phylogenetic relationship of toads distributed in the Far East and Europe inferred from the nucleotide sequences of mitochondrial DNA genes. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 38:250–260. , , , and .
- 1998. A comparative summary of genetic distances in the vertebrates from the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene. Mol. Biol. Evol. 15:1481–1490. , and .
- 1980. Pp. 1–125 in Inter- and intraspecific hybrids among Japanese, European and American Toads. Vol. 4. Scientific report of the Laboratory for Amphibian Biology, Hiroshima University. , , and .
- 1986. Directional introgression of mitochondrial DNA in a hybrid population of tree frogs the influence of mating behavior. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83:2526–2530. , and .
- 2002. Evolutionary genetics of invasive species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17:386–391.
- 2007. Hybrid speciation. Nature 446:279–283.
- 2008. Patterns of reproductive isolation in toads. PLoS ONE 3:e3900. , and .
- 1984. Pp. 209–428 in Morphometric variation analyses and revision of the Japanese toads (Genus Bufo, Bufonidae). Vol. 26. Contributions from the Biological Laboratory, Kyoto University.
- 1985. Bearing of chromosome C-banding patterns on the classification of Eurasian toads of the Bufo bufo complex. Amphibia Reptillia 6:22–33. , , , and .
- 1978. Analysis of a narrow hybrid zone between 2 species of Pseudophryne (Anura-Leptodactylidae) in Southeastern Australia. Evolution 32:602–612. , , and .
- 2002. Urbanization, biodiversity, and conservation. Bioscience 52:883–890.
- 1995. Two differentiated groups of the Japanese toad, Bufo japonicus japonicus. Caryologia 48:123–136.
- 1979. Pp. 273–294 in Larval growth and development of the Japanese toad, Bufo bufo formosus, at Iwakura, Kyoto. Vol. 25. Contributions from the Biological Laboratory, Kyoto University. , and .
- 2008. Gardening and urban landscaping: significant players in global change. Trends Plant Sci. 13:60–65. , and .
- 2007. Impact of urban fragmentation on the genetic structure of the eastern red-backed salamander. Conserv. Genet. 8:599–606. , , , and .
- 2001. High larval performance of leopard frog hybrids: effects of environment-dependent selection. Ecology 82:3001–3009.
- 2007. Facultative mate choice drives adaptive hybridization. Science 318:965–967.
- 1942. Sur la digametic du crapaud hermaphrodite. Rev. Suisse Zool. 49:185–189.
- 2008. Adaptive evolution in invasive species. Trends Plant Sci. 13:288–294. , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R the foundation for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at http://www.r-project.org/
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. J. Hered. 86:248–249. , and .
- 2003. Correlation between fitness and genetic diversity. Conserv. Biol. 17:230–237. , and .
- 2003. MrBayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19:1572–1574. , and .
- 1997. Genetic differentiation and estimation of gene flow from F-statistics under isolation by distance. Genetics 145:1219–1228.
- 2009. Invasive hybrid tiger salamander genotypes impact native amphibians. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:11166–11171. , , and .
- 1998. Inbreeding and extinction in a butterfly metapopulation. Nature 392:491–494. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Adaptive introgression of anticoagulant rodent poison resistance by hybridization between old world mice. Curr. Biol. 21:1296–1301. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Hybrid vigor in the biological control agent, Longitarsus jacobaeae. Evol. Appl. 5:489–497. , , , and .
- 2005. Changes in species assemblages within the Adelaide Metropolitan Area, Australia, 1836–2002. Ecol. Appl. 15:346–359. , , and .
- 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731–2739. , , , , , and .
- 1981. Mechanism of speciation – a population genetic approach. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 12:23–48.
- 2007. Invasive wisteria in the Southeastern United States: genetic diversity, hybridization and the role of urban centers. Urban Ecosyst. 10:379–395. , , , and .
- UNDP. 2010. World urbanization prospects: the 2009 revision. United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, Nairobi.
- 2004. MICRO-CHECKER: software for identifying and correcting genotyping errors in microsatellite data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:535–538. , , , and .
- 2011. Population admixture, biological invasions and the balance between local adaptation and inbreeding depression. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 278:2–8. , , , and .
- 2006. Plant richness patterns in agricultural and urban landscapes in central Germany – spatial gradients of species richness. Landscape Urban Plann. 75:97–110. , , and .
- 2001. Predicting the risk of extinction through hybridization. Conserv. Biol. 15:1039–1053. , , and .
- 1996. The population genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation for plants. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11:413–418. , , and .