Adaptive divergence in body size overrides the effects of plasticity across natural habitats in the brown trout
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1931–1941, July 2013
Total views since publication: 320
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1931–1941
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 19 MAR 2013
- Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences, and Spatial Planning
- Formas. Grant Numbers: 2001-1907, 2004-1900, 215-2010-1235
- 2010. Increasing melanism along a latitudinal gradient in a widespread amphibian: local adaptation, ontogenetic or environmental plasticity?. BMC Evol. Biol. 10:317. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Allen's rule revisited: quantitative genetics of extremity length in the common frog along a latitudinal gradient. J. Evol. Biol. 24:59–70. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Genetic effects of captive breeding cause a rapid, cumulative fitness decline in the wild. Science 318:100–103. , , and .
- 2009. Carry-over effect of captive breeding reduces reproductive fitness of wild-born descendants in the wild. Biol. Lett. 5:621–624. , , and .
- 1997. Adaptive intrinsic growth rates: an integration across taxa. Q. Rev. Biol. 72:149–177.
- 2010. Local adaptation in Trinidadian guppies alters ecosystem precesses. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:3616–3621. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Direct and indirect ecosystem effects of evolutionary adaptation in the Trinidadian guppy (Poecilia reticulata). Am. Nat. 180:167–185. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Statistical decision theory and Bayesian analysis. 2nd ed. Springer, NY.
- 2004. Predators select against high growth rates and risk-taking behaviour in domestic trout populations. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:2233–2237. , , , and .
- 1979. Environmental factors and growth. Pp. 599–675 in W. S. Hoar, D. J. Randall and J. R. Brett, eds. Fish physiology. Vol. VIII. Academic Press Inc., London, U.K.
- 2011. Whither PST? The approximation of QST by PST in evolutionary and conservation biology. J. Evol. Biol. 24:1160–1168.
- 2003. Effects of sea-ranching and family background on fitness traits in brown trout Salmo trutta reared under near-natural conditions. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:241–250. , , , and .
- 1992. Acquisition and allocation of resources: genetic (co)variances, selection, and life histories. Am. Nat. 139:749–770. , and .
- 2011. The evolution of growth trajectories: what limits growth rate? Biol. Rev. 86:97–116.
- 2000. Fiskevårdsplan Kävlingeån. Eklövs Fiske och Fiskevård, Lund, Sweden.
- 1986. Spatial distribution and behavioural movements of migratory trout Salmo trutta in a Lake District stream. J. Anim. Ecol. 55:907–922.
- 1994. Quantitative ecology and the brown trout. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2011. Extent and scale of local adaptation in salmonid fishes: review and meta-analysis. Heredity 106:404–420. , , , , and .
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalized linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm R package. J. Stat. Softw. 33:1–22.
- 2012. Adaptive divergence of moor frog Rana arvalis along an acidification gradient: inferences from QST-FST correlations. Evolution 66:867–881. , , and .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. Am. Nat. 173:579–588.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7:1225–1241. , and .
- 2003. Atlantic salmon Salmo salar L., brown trout Salmo trutta L. and Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus (L.): a review of aspects of their life histories. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 12:1–59. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Variation in aggressive behaviour and growth rate between populations and migratory forms in the brown trout, Salmo trutta. Anim. Behav. 62:935–944. , , , and .
- 2008. Comparative studies of quantitative trait and neutral marker divergence: a meta-analysis. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1–17. , , , and .
- 2013. QST-FST comparisons: evolutionary and ecological insights from genomic heterogeneity. Nat. Rev. Genet. 14:179–190. , , , and .
- 1998. Stress and decision making under the risk of predation: recent developments from behavioral, reproductive, and ecological perspectives. Adv. Study Behav. 98:215–290.
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. 1st ed. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2003. Fitness reduction and potential extinction of wild populations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, as a result of interactions with escaped farm salmon. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:2443–2450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Comparison of genetic differentiation at marker loci and quantitative traits. J. Evol. Biol. 14:892–903. , and .
- 2005. Bias and precision in QST estimates: problems and some solutions. Genetics 171:1331–1339. , and .
- 2004. Maturation trends indicative of rapid evolution preceded the collapse of northern cod. Nature 428:932–935. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. High degree of population subdivision in a widespread amphibian. Mol. Ecol. 13:2631–2644. , , , , , and .
- 1996. The effect of domestication on some life history traits of sea trout and Atlantic salmon. J. Fish Biol. 48:776–791. , , , and .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyond nature and nurture. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2003. The role of phenotypic plasticity in driving genetic evolution. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:1433–1440. , , and .
- 2008. Are Q(ST)-F(ST) comparisons for natural populations meaningful? Mol. Ecol. 17:4782–4785. , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2000. Big houses, big cars, superfleas and the costs of reproduction. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:421–425. , , and .
- 2010. Local selection modifies phenotypic divergence in Rana temporaria tadpoles in the presence of gene flow. Mol. Ecol. 19:716–731. , , , and .
- 2002. Restricted movement of stream fish: the paradigm is incomplete, not lost. Ecology 83:1–13.
- 2009. The interaction of multiple environmental stressors affects adaptation to a novel habitat in the natterjack toad Bufo calamita. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2267–2277. , , , , and .
- 2012. Strong divergence in trait means but not in plasticity across hatchery and wild populations of sea-run brown trout Salmo trutta. Mol. Ecol. 21:2963–2976. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Unifying life-history analyses for inference of fitness and population growth. Am. Nat. 172:35–47. , , , , and .
- 1993. Population structure in Daphnia obtusa: quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics 135:367–374.
- 2004. Growth hormone transgenic salmon pay for growth potential with increased predation mortality. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:350–352. , , , and .
- 1999. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NY. , and .
- 1949. De repeuplement en truites et saumons par enforissement de ‘boites d' alevinage’ ganies d'oeuf dans les graviens. Bull. Fr. Piscicult. 153:125–150.
- 1996. Natural heritabilities: can they be reliably estimated in the laboratory? Evolution 50:2149–2157. , and .
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, NY.