Molecular approach to describing a seed-based food web: the post-dispersal granivore community of an invasive plant
Article first published online: 28 APR 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1642–1652, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1642–1652
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 23 JAN 2013
- The Czech Science Foundation. Grant Number: 526/09/1436
- 2012. Density dependence of weed seed predation by invertebrates and vertebrates in winter wheat. Weed Res. 52:79–87. , , , and .
- 2011. National-scale regulation of the weed seedbank by carabid predators. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:888–898. , , , and .
- 2005. A comparison of phenotypic plasticity in the native dandelion Taraxacum ceratophorum and its invasive congener T. officinale. New Phytol. 166:173–183. , , and .
- 1996. Postdispersal predation of velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti) seeds. Weed Sci. 44:534–539. , , , and .
- 1984. Nonparametric estimation of the number of classes in a population. Scand. J. Stat. 11:265–270.
- 2003. Cropping system effects on giant foxtail (Setaria faberi) demography: I. Green manure and tillage timing. Weed Sci. 51:919–929. , and .
- 2011. Plant versus prey resources: influences on omnivore behavior and herbivore suppression. Biol. Control 57:229–235. , , and .
- 2006. Development of an immunological technique for identifying multiple predator-prey interactions in a complex arthropod assemblage. Ann. Appl. Biol. 149:153–165.
- 2011. An immunological approach to quantify consumption of protein-tagged Lygus hesperus by the entire cotton predator assemblage. Biol. Control 58:337–345.
- 2010. Reduced seed germination after pappus removal in the North American dandelion (Taraxacum officinale; Asteraceae). Weed Sci. 58:420–425. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Pre-dispersal predation of Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) seed. J. Ecol. 93:335–344. , and .
- 2003. Ground beetles (Carabidae) as seed predators. Eur. J. Entomol. 100:531–544. , , and .
- 2005. Post-dispersal predation of Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) seed. J. Ecol. 93:345–352. , , and .
- 2011. Effect of size, taxonomic affiliation and geographic origin of dandelion (Taraxacum agg.) seeds on predation by ground beetles (Carabidae, Coleoptera). Basic Appl. Ecol. 12:896. , , and .
- 2002. Seed-eaters: seed dispersal, destruction and demography. Pp. 257–274 in D. J. Levey, W. R. Silva, M. Galetti, eds. Seed dispersal and frugivory: ecology, evolution, and conservation. CAB International, Oxon, U.K. .
- 2007. Grassland plants of South Dakota and the Northern Great Plains. South Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station, Brookings, SD. , and .
- 2004. Do dandelion flowers influence seed set of a native plant (Delphinium nuttallianum) in subalpine meadows? Am. Midl. Nat. 151:201–205.
- 2009. An invasive dandelion unilaterally reduces the reproduction of a native congener through competition for pollination. Oecologia 159:559–569. , , , and .
- 2010. Seed consumption by millipedes. Pedobiologia 54:31–36. , , , and .
- 2000. The pitfalls of pitfalls: a comparison of pitfall trap catches and absolute density estimates of epigeal invertebrate predators in arable land. J. Pest. Sci. 73:99–106.
- 2007. Seeds consumed by waterfowl in winter: a review of methods and a new web-based photographic atlas for seed identification. J. Ornithol. 148:537–541. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of mast seeding and rodent abundance on seed predation and dispersal by rodents in Prunus armeniaca (Rosaceae). For. Ecol. Manage. 242:511–517. , and .
- 2006. Testing the enemy release hypothesis: a review and meta-analysis. Biol. Invasions 8:1535–1545. , and .
- 2009. Relationships of natural enemies and non-prey foods. Springer International, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- 2012. Functional responses to food diversity: the effect of seed availability on the feeding behavior of facultative granivores. J. Entomol. Sci. 47:160–176. , and .
- 2007. The strength of seeds and their destruction by granivorous insects. Arthropod-Plant Interactions 1:93–99. , and .
- 2009. Seasonal and diel activity patterns of generalist predators associated with Diabrotica virgifera immatures (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Biocontrol Sci. Tech. 19:327–333. , , , and .
- 2000. Harvester ants (Pogonomyrmex spp.): their community and ecosystem influences. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 31:265–291. , , and .
- 2008. Contrast adaptation to time constraints on development of two pre-dispersal predators of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) seed. Biologia 63:418–426. , and .
- 2009. Seed availability and gap size influence seedling emergence of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) in grasslands. Grass Forage Sci. 64:160–168. , , and .
- 2010. Alien pollen grains interfere with the reproductive success of native congener. Biol. Invasions 12:1617–1626. , , and .
- 2000. Post-dispersal weed seed predation in Michigan corn fields as a function of agricultural landscape structure. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 77:193–202. , , , and .
- 2007. Impact of agricultural management on carabid communities and weed seed predation. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 118:49–54. , , , and .
- 2012. Harvester ants modify seed rain using nest vegetation and granivory. Ecol. Entomol. 37:24–32. , and .
- 2006. Post-dispersal weed seed predation by invertebrates in conventional and low-external-input crop rotation systems. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 116:280–288. , , , and .
- 2001. Size and lipid content of nonmyrmecochorous diaspores: effects on the interaction with litter-foraging ants in the the Atlantic rainforest of Brazil. Plant Ecol. 157:37–52. , and .
- 2008a. Granivory in terrestrial isopods. Ecol. Entomol. 33:742–747.
- 2008b. Effect of diet on the fecundity of three carabid beetles. Physiol. Entomol. 33:188–192.
- 2008. Spatial and temporal patterns of carabid activity-density in cereals do not explain levels of predation on weed seeds. Bull. Entomol. Res. 98:179–191. , , , and .
- 2005. Advances in molecular ecology: tracking trophic links through predator-prey food-webs. Funct. Ecol. 19:751–762. , and .
- 2012. A comparative study of the retention and lethality of the first and second generation arthropod protein markers. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 144:165–171. , , and .
- 2002. The Biology of Canadian weeds. 117. Taraxacum officinale G. H. Weber ex Wiggers. Can. J. Plant Sci. 82:825–853. , , , and .
- 1986. Interpreting ELISA data and establishing the positive-negative threshold. Plant Dis. 70:722–726. , , , and .
- 1992. Limitations to the use of pitfall traps in ecological studies exemplified by a study of spiders in a field of winter wheat. J. Appl. Ecol. 29:485–491. , and .
- 2009. Assessing the trophic ecology of the Coccinellidae: their roles as predators and prey. Biol. Control 51:199–214. , and .
- 2003a. Relative importance of vertebrates and invertebrates in epigeaic weed seed predation in organic cereal fields. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 95:417–425. , , , and .
- 2003b. Annual losses of weed seeds due to predation in organic cereal fields. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:824–836. , , , and .