Ecological causes of morphological evolution in the three-spined stickleback
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1717–1726, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1717–1726
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 JAN 2013
- 2010. Predation history and vulnerability: conservation of the stickleback adaptive radiation. Biol. Conserv. 143:1184–1192. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Age and rate of diversification of the Hawaiian silversword alliance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95:9402–9406. , and .
- 1989. Selective predation of the pike Esox lucius: comparison of lateral plates and some metric features of the three-spined stickle back Gasterosteus aculeatus. Zool. Scr. 18:303–309. , , and .
- 2008. Natural selection on a major armor gene in threespine stickleback. Science 322:255–257. , , and .
- 1971. Effect of low pH on the survival and emergence of aquatic insects. Water Res. 5:313–319.
- 1976. Evolution of phenotypic diversity in Gasterosteus aculeatus superspecies on the Pacific coast of North America. Syst. Zool. 25:211–227.
- 1981. Lateral plate polymorphism and ontogeny of the complete morph of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evolution 35:67–74.
- 2001. Lateral plate evolution in the threespine stickleback: getting nowhere fast. Genetica 112:445–461.
- 2009. Implications of a fossil stickleback assemblage for Darwinian gradualism. J. Fish Biol. 75:1977–1999.
- 1985. Pelvic reduction and its directional asymmetry in threespine sticklebacks from the Cook Inlet Region, Alaska. Copeia 1985:437–444. , , and .
- 1993. Evolution of pelvic reduction in threespine stickleback fish: a test of competing hypotheses. Evolution 47:906–914. , , , and .
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58:814–824. , , and .
- 2013. When directional selection reduces geographic variation in traits mediating species interactions. Ecol. Evol. 3:961–970. , and .
- 2002. Fast-start swimming performance and reduction in lateral plate number in threespine stickleback. Can. J. Zool. 80:207–213.
- 2001. North Uist. Birlinn, Edinburgh.
- 1994. Multivariate analysis of geographic covariance between phenotypes and environments in the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, from the Cook Inlet area, Alaska. Can. J. Zool. 72:1497–1509. , , , and .
- 2004. Size matters: a test of boldness in eight populations of the poeciliid Brachyraphis episcopi. Anim. Behav. 68:1325–1329. , and .
- 1985. The current status and distribution of terns in the Outer Hebrides. Scott. Birds 13:172–178.
- 1985. Morphological variation in the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Scotland. Behavior 93:161–168.
- 2010. Adaptive evolution of pelvic reduction in sticklebacks by recurrent deletion of a Pitx1 enhancer. Science 327:302–305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Invasive predators and the conservation of island birds: the case of American mink Mustela vison and terns Sterna spp. in the Western Isles, Scotland. Bird Study 49:118–123. , and .
- 2004. The genetic architecture of parallel armor plate reduction in threespine sticklebacks. PLoS Biol. 2:635–641. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of Ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307:1928–1933. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Parallel evolution of Pitx1 underlies pelvic reduction in Scottish threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Hered. 98:581–586. , , and .
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA. , and .
- 2004. Parallel genetic basis for repeated evolution of armor loss in Alaskan threespine stickleback populations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:6050–6055. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Individual experience and evolutionary history of predation affect expression of heritable variation in fish personality and morphology. Proc. Biol. Sci. 276:1285–1293. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Scotland. HarperCollins, London.
- 2011. Costly plastic morphological responses to predator specific odour cues in three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evol. Ecol. 25:641–656. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The status and distribution of the red-throated diver Gavia stellata in Britain in 1994. Bird Study 44:194–205. , , , , and .
- 1983. The possible role of environmental calcium levels during the evolution of phenotypic diversity in Outer Hebridian populations of the three-spined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. J. Zool. 199:535–544.
- 1984. Predation risk and inter-population variation in antipredator behavior in the three-spined stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus L. Anim. Behav. 32:264–275. , and .
- 2000. Risk-taking by threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) pelvic phenotypes: does morphology predict behavior? Behavior 137:889–906.
- 2006. Evolution of character displacement in Darwin's finches. Science 313:224–226. , and .
- 1973. The genetics of the plate morphs in freshwater three-spine sticklebacks. Heredity 31:75–84. , and .
- 2009. Predation mediated population divergence in complex behavior of nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius). J. Evol. Biol. 22:544–552. , , and .
- 2012. Contrasting growth strategies of pond versus marine populations of nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius): a combined effect of predation and competition? Evol. Ecol. 26:109–122. , , , and .
- 1957. The spines of sticklebacks (Gasterosteus and Pygosteus) as a means of defence against predators (Perca and Esox). Behavior 10:205–236. , , and .
- 1982. Do inter- and intraspecific aggression vary in relation to predation pressure in sticklebacks? Anim. Behav. 30:909–916.
- 1994. Adaptive variation in anti-predator behavior in the threespine stickleback. Pp. 227–296 in M. A. Bell and S. A. Foster, eds. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. , , and .
- 1993. Postglacial evolution in lateral plate morphs in Norwegian freshwater populations of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). PhD thesis, University of Bergen, Norway.
- 2008. Pelvic anti-predator armour reduction in Norwegian populations of the threespine stickleback: a rare phenomenon with adaptive implications? J. Zool. 276:81–88. , and .
- 1976. Social behavior and feeding ability in two phenotypes of Gasterosteus aculeatus in relation to their spatial and trophic segregation in a temperate lake. Can. J. Zool. 54:107–121.
- 2011. Strong and consistent natural selection associated with armor reduction in sticklebacks. Mol. Ecol. 20:2483–2493. , , , , , , et al.
- 1962. Experimental study of meristic variation in a population of threespine sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 40:271–312.
- 1992. The evolution of convergent structure in Caribbean Anolis communities. Syst. Biol. 41:403–420.
- 2011. The ecological causes of evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 26:514–522.
- 2011. A benthic predatory fish does not cause selection on armour traits in three-spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus (Gasterosteiformes: Gasterosteidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 104:877–885. , and .
- 2009. Predation's role in repeated phenotypic and genetic divergence of armor in threespine stickleback. Evolution 63:127–138.
- 1989. Grey Herons Ardea cinerea breeding in Scotland: numbers, distribution, and census techniques. Bird Study 36:181–191.
- 1958. The theory of evolution. Penguin, Harmondsworth.
- 2007. The effects of relaxed and reversed selection by predators on the antipredator behavior of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Ethology 113:953–963. , , , and .
- 1976. Phenetic variation and habitat differences in Gasterosteus populations of the Queen Charlotte Islands. Syst. Zool. 25:49–61. , and .
- 1959. Biologie, variabilitat und genetik von Gasterosteus aculeatus L. (Pisces) Untersuchungen im Elbegebiet. Int. Rev. Gesamt. Hydrobiol. 44:317–382.
- 2009. Body armour and lateral-plate reduction in freshwater three- spined stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus: adaptations to a different buoyancy regime? J. Fish Biol. 75:2062–2074. , and .
- 1960. Osteomalacia, osteoporosis and calcium deficiency. Clin. Orthop. 17:235–258.
- 2001. The genetic architecture of divergence between threespine stickleback species. Nature 414:901–905. , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. Spine deficiency and polymorphism in a population of Gasterosteus aculeatus: an adaptation to predators? Can. J. Zool. 58:1232–1244.
- 1983. Structural relationships between spines and lateral plates in threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evolution 37:931–946.
- 1992. Injuries on stickleback from attacks by a toothed predator (Oncorhynchus) and implications for the evolution of lateral plates. Evolution 46:1224–1230.
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. Pp. 240–273 in M. A. Bell and S. A. Foster, eds. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 2000. Predator handling failures of lateral plate morphs in Gasterosteus aculeatus: implications for stasis and distribution of the ancestral plate condition. Behavior 137:1081–1096.
- 2001. Ecology and origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:372–380.
- 2010. Natural selection and the genetics of adaptation in threespine stickleback. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365:2479–3486. , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic and developmental basis of evolutionary pelvic reduction in threespine sticklebacks. Nature 428:717–723. , , , , et al.
- 2012. Calcium and salinity as selective factors in plate morph evolution of the three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Evol. Biol. 25:1965–1974. , , , , and .
- 1986. Prolonged and burst swimming in anadromous and fresh-water threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 64:416–420. , and .
- 1917. On growth and form. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1987. Parental care and the development of adaptive variation in anti-predator responses in sticklebacks. Anim. Behav. 35:1570–1572. , and .
- 1995. Seasonal and area-related variations in the diet of otters Lutra lutra on Mull. J. Zool. 237:179–194.
- 1985. Genetic variability in freshwater and anadromous sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) of southern British Columbia. Can. J. Zool. 63:528–533. , and .
- 1976. The biology of sticklebacks. Academic Press, London.
- 1984. A functional biology of sticklebacks. Croom Helm, London.
- 2009. The Darwinian stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus: a history of evolutionary studies. J. Fish Biol. 75:1919–1942.
- 2012. Little evidence for a selective advantage of armour-reduced threespined stickleback individuals in an invertebrate predation experiment. Evol. Ecol. 26:1293–1309. , , , , and .