Belowground interactions shift the relative importance of direct and indirect genetic effects
Article first published online: 2 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1692–1701, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1692–1701
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 DEC 2012
- University of Tennessee
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB-0743437
- The Australian Research Council. Grant Number: FT0991727
- 2008. Do allelopathic compounds in invasive Solidago canadensis s.l. restrain the native European flora? J. Ecol. 96:993–1001. , , , and .
- 1997. Evolutionary ecology across three trophic levels: goldenrods, gallmakers, and natural enemies. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 2005. Ecological divergence among five co-occuring species of old-field goldenrods. Plant Ecol. 177:43–56. , , , and .
- 2006. Importance of species interactions to community heritability: a genetic basis to trophic-level interactions. Ecol. Lett. 9:78–85. , , , and .
- 2009. From genes to ecosystems: a synthesis of the effects of plant genetic factors across levels of organization. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364:1607–1616. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genotype and maternal environment affect belowground interactions between Arabidopsis thaliana and its competitors. Oikos 118:1541–1551. , , and .
- 1991. Exploitation of phosphate from fertile soil microbes by 3 Great Basin perennials when in competition. Funct. Ecol. 5:757–764. , , and .
- 1997. Plant competition underground. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 28:545–570. , and .
- 2010. Differential response to frequency-dependent interactions: an experimental test using genotypes of an invasive grass. Oecologia 164:965–969. , , and .
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem process. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Comparing intra- and inter-specific effects on litter decomposition in an old-field ecosystem. Basic Appl. Ecol. 10:535–543. , , and .
- 1982. The extended phenotype: the gene as the unit of selection. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K.
- 1975. Phenology and dynamics of root growth of three cool semi-desert shrubs under field conditions. J. Ecol. 63:703–714. , and .
- 2007. Genetic identity of interspecific neighbours mediates plant responses to competition and environmental variation in a species-rich grassland. J. Ecol. 95:908–915. , , and .
- 2012. Welcome to the neighbourhood: interspecific genotype by genotype interactions in Solidago influence above- and belowground biomass and associated communities. Ecol. Lett. 15:65–73. , , and .
- 1977. The chemistry of compositae. Pp. 283–335 in V. H. Heywood, J. B. Harborne, B. L. Turner, eds. The biology and chemistry of the compositae. Vol. 1. Academic Press, London. .
- 2005. Plant genotype and environment interact to shape a diverse arthropod community on evening primrose (Oenothera biennis). Ecology 86:874–885. , and .
- 2006. Additive and interactive effects of plant genotypic diversity on arthropod communities and plant fitness. Ecol. Lett. 9:24–34. , , and .
- 1987. Resistance to 16 diverse species of herbivorous insects within a population of goldenrod, Solidago altissima: genetic variation and heritability. Oecologia 72:8–14. , and .
- 2006. Genetic identity of Populus tremuloides litter influences decomposition and nutrient release in a mixed forest stand. Ecosystems 9:528–537. , , and .
- 2008. Plant genotype shapes ant-aphid interactions: implications for community structure and indirect plant defense. Am. Nat. 171:E195–E205. , and .
- 1986. Biomass accumulation and resource utilization in cooccurring grassland annuals. Oecologia 70:555–558. , , , and .
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process. 1. Direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51:1352–1362. , , and .
- 2010. Soils as agents of selection: feedbacks between plants and soils alter seedling survival and performance. Evol. Ecol. 24:1045–1059. , , , and .
- 2006. Root competition: beyond resource depletion. J. Ecol. 94:725–739.
- 1992. Growth responses of rhizomatous plants to fertilizer application and interference. Oikos 65:13–24. , and .
- 2004. Genetically based trait in a dominant tree affects ecosystem processes. Ecol. Lett. 7:127–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Plant-soil-microorganism interactions: heritable relationship between plant genotype and associated soil microorganisms. Ecology 89:773–781. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Community heritability measures the evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects on community structure. Evolution 60:991–1003. , , , , and .
- 2007. The co-evolutionary genetics of ecological communities. Nat. Rev. Genet. 8:185–195.
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Community specificity: life and afterlife effects of genes. Trends Plant Sci. 17:271–281. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Shoot competition and root competition. J. Appl. Ecol. 25:279–296.
- 1993. Plant competition and resource availability in response to disturbance and fertilization. Ecology 74:599–611. , and .