Life-history strategy defends against disease and may select against physiological resistance
Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1741–1750, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1741–1750
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 NOV 2012
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-0747222
- 1999. Age and size at maturity of the mosquito Culex pipiens infected by the microsporidian parasite Vavraia culicis. Proc. Biol. Sci. 266:947–952. , , , and .
- 2000. Host life history responses to parasitism. Microbes Infect. 2:891–896. , , and .
- 1989. An experimental field study of anther-smut disease of Silene alba caused by Ustilago violacea: genotypic variation and disease incidence. Evolution 43:835–847.
- 1990. Anther-smut infection of Silene alba caused by Ustilago violacea: factors determining fungal reproduction. Oecologia 84:249–253. , and .
- 1993. Genotypic variation in plant disease resistance–physiological resistance in relation to field disease transmission. J. Ecol. 81:325–333. , , and .
- 1996. Population dynamics and genetics of plant disease: a case study of anther-smut disease. Ecology 77:990–996. , , , , and .
- 2007. Do threated hosts have fewer parasites? A comparative study in primates. J. Anim. Ecol. 76:304–314. , , and .
- 2004. Long-term study of a plant-pathogen metapopulation. Pp. 471–488 in I. Hanski and O. Gaggiotti, eds. Ecology, Genetics, and Evolution of Metapopulations. Academic Press, Burlington, MA. .
- 2002. The ecology and genetics of a host shift: Microbotryum as a model system. Am. Nat. 160:S40–S53. , , and .
- 1996. Sex-specific costs of resistance to the fungal pathogen Ustilago violacea (Microbotryum violaceum) in Silene alba. Evolution 50:1098–1110. , and .
- 1996. Host adaptation in the anther smut fungus Ustilago violacea (Microbotryum violaceum): infection success, spore production and alteration of floral traits on two host species and their F1-hybrid. Oecologia 107:307–320. , and .
- 2001. Differences in population structure of the anther smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum on two closely related host species, Silene latifolia and S. dioica. Mol. Ecol. 10:285.Direct Link:, , and .
- 2007. Tissue culture and quantification of individual-level resistance to anther-smut disease in Silene vulgaris. Int. J. Plant Sci. 168:415–419. , , and .
- 2002. The spatial distribution of plant populations, disease dynamics and evolution of resistance. Oikos 97:97–110. , and .
- 1973. Life-history consequences of natural selection: Cole's result revisited. Am. Nat. 107:791–793. , and .
- 1954. The population consequences of life history phenomena. Q. Rev. Biol. 29:103–137.
- 2012. Ecological context influences epidemic size and parasite-driven evolution. Science 335:1636–1638. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Host social behavior and parasitic infection: a multifactorial approach. Behav. Ecol. 15:446–454.
- 2005. Community epidemiology framework for classifying disease threats. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 11:1815–1821. , and .
- 2006. Parasitism shaping host life-history evolution: adaptive responses in a marine gastropod to infection by trematodes. J. Anim. Ecol. 75:44–53. , and .
- 1970. Life historical consequences of natural selection. Am. Nat. 104:1–24. , and .
- 1974. Reproductive strategies and growth patterns in sunflowers (Helianthus). Am. Nat. 108:889–894. , , , and .
- 2010. Loss of pathogens in threatened plant species. Oikos 119:1919–1928. , , and .
- 2008. Mating system of the anther smut fungus Microbotryum violaceum: selfing under heterothallism. Eukaryot. Cell 7:765–775. , , , , and .
- 2009. Within-host competitive exclusion among species of the anther smut pathogen. BMC Ecol. 9:11. , , and .
- 2010. Fitness correlates of heritable variation in antibody responsiveness in a wild mammal. Science 330:662–665. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Friendly competition: evidence for a dilution effect among competitors in a planktonic host-system. Ecology 90:791–801. , , , , , and .
- 1977. Why are biennials so few? Am. Nat. 111:792–799.
- 2006. Experimentally increased social competition compromises humoral immune responses in house finches. Horm. Behav. 49:417–424. , , and .
- 1992. Parasitism as a constraint on the rate of life-history evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 5:491–504. , , and .
- 2003. Dynamics of multiple infection and within-host competition by the anther-smut pathogen. Am. Nat. 162:122–133.
- 2000. Intratetrad mating, heterozygosity, and the maintenance of deleterious alleles in Microbotryum violaceum (=Ustilago violacea). Heredity 85:231–241. , and .
- 2010. Distribution of the anther-smut pathogen Microbotryum on species of the Caryophyllaceae. New Phytol. 187:217–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Living fast and dying of infection: host life history drives interspecific variation in infection and disease risk. Ecol. Lett. 15:235–242. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Parasites, sex, and early reproduction in a mixed population of freshwater snails. Evolution 49:1268–1271. , and .
- 2008. Global trends in emerging infectious diseases. Nature 451:990–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Has the introduction of brown trout altered disease patterns in New Zealand fish? Freshw. Biol. 54:1085–1818. , , , , and .
- 1993. The marine snail, Cerithidea californica, matures and smaller sizes where parasitism is high. Oikos 68:3–11.
- 2007. Phylogenetic evidence of host-specific cryptic species in the anther smut fungus. Evolution 61:15–26. , , , and .
- 2008. Constitutive immune defences correlate with life-history variables in tropical birds. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:356–363. , , , , and .
- 2007. Parasite species richness in carnivores: effects of host body mass, latitude, geographical range and population density. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 16:496–509. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The anther smut disease on Gypsophila repens: a case of parasite sub-optimal performance following a recent host shift? J. Evol. Biol. 18:1293–1303. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Anther smuts of Caryophyllaceae: molecular analyses reveal further new species. Mycol. Res. 112:1280–1296. , , , , and .
- 2007. Host life span and the evolution of resistance characteristics. Evolution 61:2–14. , , and .
- 1985. Host life history variation in response to parasitism. Parasitology 90:205–216.
- 2003. Comparative tests of parasite species richness in primates. Am. Nat. 162:597–614. , , , and .
- 2000. Inbreeding effects on resistance and transmission-related traits in the Silene-Microbotryum pathosystem. Ecology 81:520–531. , , and .
- 2001. A revised generic classification of the tribe Sileneae (Caryophyllaceae). Nord. J. Bot. 20:743–748. , , , and .
- 2008. The interaction of parasites and resources cuase crashes in wild mouse population. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:370–377. , and .
- 2007. Infectious diseases and extinction risk in wild mammals. Conserv. Biol. 21:1269–1279. , , , and .
- 2011. Urban habituation, ecological connectivity and epidemic dampening: the emergence of Hendra virus from flying foxes (Pteropus spp.). Proc. Biol. Sci. 278:3703–3712. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Origin and evolution of North American polyploid Silene (Caryophyllaceae). Am. J. Bot. 94:330–349. , and .
- 2012. Phylogenetic relationships of Silene multinervia and Silene section Conoimorpha (Caryophyllaceae). Syst. Bot. 37:226–237. , , , and .
- 1992. Costs of plant resistance to herbivory. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
- 2008. Maximized virulence in a sterilizing pathogen: the anther-smut fungus and its co-evolved hosts. J. Evol. Biol. 21:1544–1554. , , and .
- 2012. Consequences of changing rainfall for fungal pathogen-induced mortality in tropical tree seedlings. Ecol. Evol. 2:1408–1413. , , , and .
- 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24:1596–1599. , , , and .
- 2010. Species interactions in a parasite community drive infection risk in a wildlife population. Science 330:243–246. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Plant life-history and disease susceptibility–the occurrence of Ustilago violacea on different species within the Caryophyllaceae. J. Ecol. 81:489–498. , , and .
- 1989. The effects of host sex on transmission success. Parasitol. Today 5:190–195.
- 2009. Phylogenetic determinants of potential host shifts in fungal pathogens. J. Evol. Biol. 22:2532–2541. , , and .
- 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. Academic Press, Orlando, Florida. , , , and .