A tool for protected area management: multivariate control charts ‘cope’ with rare variable communities
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 6, pages 1667–1676, June 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(6): 1667–1676
- Issue published online: 12 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2012
- Marine Monitoring Programme of the Countryside Council for Wales
- Countryside Council for Wales
- The Environment Agency
- Hampshire County Council
- Natural Resources Wales/Cyfoeth Naturiol Cymru
- 2011. Large recovery of fish biomass in a no-take marine reserve. PLoS ONE 6:e23601. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Detection and analysis of unusual events in long-term zooplankton and nekton data sets from North Inlet Estuary, South Carolina, U.S.A. Oceanol. Acta 20:165–175. , , , , and .
- 2005. ControlChart.exe. Available at http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~mja/Programs.htm (accessed 04 October 2012). .
- 2008. ControlChart: a FORTRAN computer program for calculating control charts for multivariate response data through time, based on a chosen resemblance measure. Deptartment of Statistics, University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ.
- 2004. Multivariate control charts for ecological and environmental monitoring. Ecol. Appl. 14:1921–1935. , and .
- 2008. PERMANOVA+ for PRIMER: guide to software and statistical methods. PRIMER-E, Plymouth, UK. , , and .
- 2003. Sampling design optimization and establishment of baselines for herpetofauna arrays at the Point Loma Ecological Reserve. National Park Service, U.S. Geological Survey, Sacramento, CA. , , , and .
- 1992. On the ecology of brackish water lagoons in Great Britain. Aquat. Conserv. 2:65–94. , , , and .
- 2001. P. 69 in Coastal saline lagoons and pools in Wales: review and proposals. CCW Contract Science Report No. 464. Countryside Council for Wales, Bangor, MI. , , , and .
- 2008. Meiofauna in closed coastal saline lagoons in the United Kingdom: structure and biodiversity of the nematode assemblage. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 79:328–340. , , , , and .
- 2006. Typology in Mediterranean transitional waters: new challenges and perspectives. Aquat. Conserv. 16:441–456. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Eleven years monitoring of Lesina lagoon (South Italy) using a biotic index (Λ). Transit. Waters Bull. 1:77–82. , , and .
- 2002. Factors affecting the small mammal community inside and outside Katavi National Park, Tanzania. Biotropica 34:310–318.
- 2003. Umbrella species: critique and lessons from East Africa. Anim. Conserv. 6:171–181.
- 2007. A control chart approach to monitoring and communicating trends in tissue selenium concentrations. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 26:2237–2240. , and .
- 2003. Development of a biomarker-based index for assessing the ecotoxic potential of aquatic sites. Biomarkers 8:287–298. , , and .
- 2006. PRIMER v6: user manual/tutorial. PRIMER-E, Plymouth. , and .
- 2007. Trophic state of Foz de Almargem coastal lagoon (Algarve, South Portugal) based on the water quality and the phytoplankton community. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 71:218–231. , , and .
- 2009. Temporal changes of a macrobenthic assemblage in harsh lagoon sediments. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 83:638–646. , and .
- Council of the European Communities. 1992. Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the Conservation of Natural Habitats and of Wild Fauna and Flora. Off. J. Eur. Commun. L 206:7–50.
- CSEMP. 2012. Green seas environment monitoring programmes. Available at http://www.cefas.defra.gov.uk/publications-and-data/scientific-series/green-book.aspx (accessed 04 November 2012).
- 1991. Designing environmental field studies. Ecol. Monogr. 61:53–73. , and .
- 2011. December 2010 coldest December since 1890. Weather 66:i–iv. .
- European Commission. 2000. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. Off. J. Eur. Commun. L 327:1–72.
- 2003. Comparing biodiversity between protected areas and adjacent rangeland in xeric succulent thicket, South Africa: arthropods and reptiles. J. Appl. Ecol. 40:392–403. , , and .
- 2008. The ecological performance of protected areas. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39:93–113. , , , and .
- 2000. Re-evaluation of marine benthic species of nature conservation importance: a new perspective on certain'lagoonal specialists' with particular emphasis on Alkmaria romijni Horst (Polychaeta: Ampharetidae). Aquat. Conserv. 10:1–12. , and .
- 2006. Marine reserves reestablish lost predatory interactions and cause community changes in rocky reefs. Ecol. Appl. 16:963–976.
- 2007. Potential of marine reserves to cause community-wide changes beyond their boundaries. Conserv. Biol. 21:540–545.
- 2008. Reserve effects and natural variation in coral reef communities. J. Appl. Ecol. 45:1010–1018. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Development of a rationale for monitoring. Pp. 1–14 in F. B. Goldsmith, ed. Monitoring for conservation and ecology. Chapman and Hall, London. .
- 1981. Pitfalls of environmental baseline and process studies. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 2:265–275. , and .
- 2010. Influence of macrofauna long-term natural variability on benthic indices used in ecological quality assessment. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 60:58–68. , and .
- 2009. Biological effects within no-take marine reserves: a global synthesis. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 384:33–46. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The science and application of ecological monitoring. Biol. Conserv. 143:1317–1328. , and .
- 2007. A checklist for ecological management of landscapes for conservation. Ecol. Lett. 10:1–14. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Intradaily variability of water quality in a shallow tidal lagoon: mechanisms and implications. Estuaries Coasts 29:711–730. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Distribution and ecological relevance of fine sediments in organic-enriched lagoons: the case study of the Cabras lagoon (Sardinia, Italy). Mar. Pollut. Bull. 56:549–564. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. A comparison of marine protected areas and alternative approaches to coral-reef management. Curr. Biol. 16:1408–1413. , , , and .
- 2006. P.30 in State of the marine environment in SW Wales, 10 years after the Sea Empress oil spill. Marine Monitoring Report No. 21. Countryside Council for Wales, Bangor, MI. .
- 2008. The use of control charts to interpret environmental monitoring data. Nat. Areas J. 28:66–73.
- 2005. Temporal trends in macrobenthos community structure and redundancy in a shallow coastal lagoon (Valli di Comacchio, Northern Adriatic Sea). Hydrobiologia 550:95–104. , , and .
- 2006. Monitoring for conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21:668–673. , and .
- 2004. Establishing reference conditions for European streams. Hydrobiologia 516:91–105. , , , , and .
- 2007. Detecting changes resulting from human pressure in a naturally quick-changing and heterogeneous environment: spatial and temporal scales of variability in coastal lagoons. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 75:175–181. , , , , , and .
- 2009. A multivariate indicator to monitor changes in spatial patterns of age-structured fish populations. Aquat. Living Resour. 22:165–171. , and .
- 2009. Review and evaluation of estuarine biotic indices to assess benthic condition. Ecol. Ind. 9:1–25. , , , , , and .
- 2004. P. 216 in How is your MPA doing? A guidebook of natural and social indicators for evaluating marine protected area management effectiveness. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 2001. The “migratory fishes” part of the Adour-Garonne SDAGE. Bulletin Francais de la Peche et de la Pisciculture 357–360:311–322.
- 2008. Is it possible to assess the ecological status of highly stressed natural estuarine environments using macroinvertebrates indices? Mar. Pollut. Bull. 56:1880–1889. , and .
- 2006. Adjacent pastoral areas support higher densities of wild ungulates during the wet season than the Lake Mburo National Park in Uganda. J. Trop. Ecol. 22:675–683. , , , and .
- 2006. Temporal variability of the estuarine macrofauna of the Patos Lagoon, Brazil. Revista de Biología Marina y Oceanografía 41:1–9. , and .
- 1950. Growth-control charts applied to Experiments in ecology: their logical design and interpretation. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 79:189–191. , and .
- 2007. Benthic indicators: analysis of the threshold values of ecological quality classifications for transitional waters. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 54:1707–1714. , and .
- 2007. How does human exploitation affect impala populations in protected and partially protected areas? -A case study from the Serengeti Ecosystem, Tanzania. Biol. Conserv. 136:563–570. , , , , and .
- 2004. Marine Reserves, a guide to science, design, and use. Island Press, Washington. , and .
- 2009. Aquatic fauna as indicators for Everglades restoration: applying dynamic targets in assessments. Ecol. Ind. 9:S108–S119. , and .
- 1990. Experiments in ecology and management: their logics, functions and interpretations. Aust. J. Ecol. 15:365–389.
- 1997. Experiments in ecology: their logical design and interpretation using analysis of variance. Cambridge, UK.