An age–size reaction norm yields insight into environmental interactions affecting life-history traits: a factorial study of larval development in the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae sensu stricto
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 1837–1847, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 1837–1847
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAR 2013
- National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- 2002. A minimalist approach to the effects of density-dependent competition on insect life-history traits. Ecol. Entomol. 27:396–402. , , , and .
- 2004. Evolution of thermal reaction norms for growth rate and body size in ectotherms: an introduction to the symposium. Integr. Comp. Biol. 44:401–402. , and .
- 2004. Temperature, growth rate, and body size in ectotherms: fitting pieces of a life history puzzle. Integr. Comp. Biol. 44:498–509. , , and .
- 1999. Interactive effects of density and water sodium concentration on growth of insect larvae inhabiting treeholes. J. Freshw. Ecol. 14:113–124. , , and .
- 2004. Temperature-related duration of aquatic stages of the Afrotropical malaria vector mosquito Anopheles gambiae in the laboratory. Med. Vet. Entomol. 18:174–179. , and .
- 1997. The behavioural and physiological ecology of diving. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12:213–217.
- 2003. Physiological bases of mosquito ecology. J. Vector Ecol. 28:1–11.
- 2010. Can mechanism inform species' distribution models? Ecol. Lett. 13:1041–1054. , , , , , and .
- 1984. Experimental test of the pupation window model for development of detritivorous insects. Ecol. Model. 23:257–264.
- 2010. Climate change and highland malaria: fresh air for a hot debate. Q. Rev. Biol. 85:27–55. , and .
- 1981. The interaction of rearing temperature and food supply on the life history of two species of Simuliidae (Diptera). Can. J. Zool. 59:158–163. , and .
- 2007. The R book. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester, U.K.
- 2002. Developmental thresholds and the evolution of reaction norms for age and size at life-history transitions. Am. Nat. 159:338–350. , and .
- 2009. Identifying the most productive breeding sites for malaria mosquitoes in The Gambia. Malar. J. 8:62. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Effect displays in R for generalised linear models. J. Stat. Softw. 8:1–27.
- 2001. Characteristics of larval Anopheline (Diptera: Culicidae) habitats in Western Kenya. J. Med. Entomol. 38:282–288. , , , and .
- 2002. Density-dependent development of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae in artificial habitats. J. Med. Entomol. 39:162–172. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Abundance of immature Anopheles and culicines (Diptera: Culicidae) in different water body types in the urban environment of Malindi, Kenya. J. Vector Ecol. 33:107–116. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Geographic variation in Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae): temperature-dependent effects of a predator on survival of larvae. Environ. Entomol. 25:624–631.
- 2006. Importance of algal biomass to growth and development of Anopheles gambiae larvae. J. Med. Entomol. 43:669–676. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Making generalizations about vectors: is there a physiology of “the mosquito”? Entomol. Res. 37:1–13.
- 2004. Effects of interspecific competition, predation, and their interaction on survival and development time of immature Anopheles quadrimaculatus. J. Vector Ecol. 29:277–284. , , , and .
- 1996. Variability in the relationship between weight and wing length of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 33:261–264. , and .
- 2009. Dynamic energy budget theory for metabolic organisation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- 1996. Diving costs as a component of daily energy budgets of aquatic birds and mammals: generalizing the inclusion of dive-recovery costs demonstrated in tufted ducks. Can. J. Zool. 74:2131–2142. .
- 2006. Genetic contribution to variation in larval development time, adult size, and longevity of starved adults of Anopheles gambiae. Infect. Genet. Evol. 6:410–416. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Effect of leaf-litter and density on fitness and population performance of the hole mosquito Aedes triseriatus. Ecol. Entomol. 20:125–136. , and .
- 2004. Geographic and ecologic distributions of the Anopheles gambiae complex predicted using a genetic algorithm. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 70:105–109. , , and .
- 1993. Effects of adult body size on fecundity and the pre-gravid rate of Anopheles gambiae females in Tanzania. Med. Vet. Entomol. 7:328–332. , and .
- 1992. Effect of rearing temperature and larval density on larval survival, age at pupation and adult size of Anopheles gambiae. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 63:265–271. , , and .
- 2004. Habitat characteristics of Anopheles gambiae s.s. larvae in a Kenyan highland. Med. Vet. Entomol. 18:301–305. , , , and .
- 2011. Productivity of malaria vectors from different habitat types in the western Kenya highlands. PLoS ONE 6:e19473. , , , , and .
- 2012. Modeling the role of environmental variables on the population dynamics of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae sensu stricto. Malar. J. 11:271. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-plus. Springer Verlag, New York. , and .
- 2004. Age and size at maturity: sex, environmental variability and developmental thresholds. Proc. Biol. Sci. 271:919–924. , , , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- R-Development-Core-Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2012. Is bigger really bigger? Differential responses to temperature in measures of body size of the mosquito, Aedes albopictus. J. Insect Physiol. 58:911–917. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories: theory and analysis. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity in a complex world: interactive effects of food and temperature on fitness components of a seed beetle. Oecologia 153:309–321. , , , and .
- 1993. Water depth and larval density affect development and accumulation of reserves in laboratory populations of mosquitoes. Bull. Soc. Vector Ecol. 18:174–187. , and .
- 1996. Effect of plant, fungal and animal diets on mosquito development. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 80:173–176. , and .
- 1998. Molting and metamorphosis in mosquito larvae: a morphometric analysis. Mitteilungen der Schweizerischen Entomologischen Gesellschaft 71:373–387. , and .
- 2011. Interactions between environmental variables determine immunity in the Indian meal moth Plodia interpunctella. J. Anim. Ecol. 81:386–394. , and .
- 2004. Diving ability of Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. J. Med. Entomol. 41:810–812. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Interspecific variation in diving activity among Anopheles gambiae Giles, An. arabiensis Patton, and An. funestus Giles (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. J. Vector Ecol. 32:112–117. , , , and .
- 2011. Can oxygen set thermal limits in an insect and drive gigantism? PLoS ONE 6:e22610. , and .
- 1997a. Effects of variation in quality of leaf detritus on growth of the eastern tree-hole mosquito, Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae). Can. J. Zool. 75:706–718. , , , , and .
- 1973. Ecological aspects of amphibian metamorphosis. Science 182:1305–1314. , and .
- 2007. Novel climates, no-analog communities, and ecological surprises. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5:475–482. , and .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. Springer, New York. , , , , and .