Estimating home-range size: when to include a third dimension?
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2285–2295, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2285–2295
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2013
- Spanish National Plan. Grant Number: CGL2009-10741
- Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation and EU-FEDER
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. Grant Numbers: SFRH/BD/37795/2007, SFRH/BPD/26666/2006
- Fundo Social Europeu. Grant Number: SFRH/BPD/35842/2007
- FAPESP. Grant Number: 2011/00408-4
- 2004. Spatial ecology of golden jackal in farmland in the Ethiopian Highlands. Afr. J. Ecol. 42:144–152. , , , and .
- 2004. Hawth's analysis tools for ArcGIS. Available at http://www.spatialecology.com/htools. .
- 2009. Home range size and use in Allocebus trichotis in analamazaotra special reserve, central eastern madagascar. Int. J. Primatol. 30:367–386.
- 2003. Home range and habitat use by cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus) in the Kruger National Park. J. Zool. 261:119–128. , , and .
- 1943. Territoriality and home range concepts as applied to mammals. J. Mammal. 24:346–352.
- 2004. Topographic home ranges of white-tailed deer in the central Appalachians. Southeast. Nat. 3:645–652. , , , and .
- 2001. Movements of Allegheny woodrats in relation to timber harvesting. J. Wildl. Manage. 65:148–156. , , , , and .
- 1978. Home range size and population dynamic. J. Theor. Biol. 75:327–337.
- 2007. Quantifying the influence of topographic position on cougar (Puma concolor) movement in southern California, USA. J. Zool. 271:270–277. , and .
- ESRI. 2000. ArcView 3.2, Redlands, CA.
- ESRI. 2007. Spatial Analyst for ArcGIS 9.2, Redlands, CA.
- 2008. Effects of food and topography on ranging behavior of black crested gibbon (Nomascus concolor jingdongensis) in Wuliang Mountain, Yunnan, China. Am. J. Primatol. 70:871–878. , and .
- 2004. Home ranges of two wolf packs in the Slovak Carpathians. Folia Zool. 53:17–26. , and .
- 1992. Habitat selection and home range in the Blanford's fox, Vulpes cana: compatibility with the resource dispersion hypothesis. Oecologia 91:75–81. , , , and .
- 1982. Carnivore home-range size, metabolic needs and ecology. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 10:57–63. , and .
- 2008. Remember the third dimension: terrain modeling improves estimates of snake home range size. Copeia 2008:801–806. , and .
- 2008. Ranging of Rhinopithecus bieti in the Samage Forest, China. I. Characteristics of range use. Int. J. Primatol. 29:1121–1145. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Home-range analysis using radio-tracking data – a review of problems and techniques particulatly as applied to the study of mammals. Mamm. Rev. 20:97–123. , , , , , and .
- 1949. Calculation of size of home range. J. Mammal. 30:1–18.
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. Int. J. Climatol. 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- 2004. Calculating landscape surface area from digital elevation models. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 32:829–839.Direct Link:
- 2008. Surface Tools (surf_tools.avx) extension for ArcView 3.x, v. 1.6b. Jenness Enterprises, Flagstaff, AZ. Available at http://www.jennessent.com/arcview/surface_tools.htm (accessed February 12, 2009). .
- 2013. DEM Surface Tools for ArcGIS (surface_area.exe). Jenness Enterprises, Flagstaff, AZ. Available at http://www.jennessent.com/arcgis/surface_area.htm (accessed March 14, 2013). .
- 2005. Vertebrate species assemblages and species sensitivity to logging in the forests of north-eastern New South Wales. For. Ecol. Manage. 209:309–341. , and .
- 2001. A Manual for Wildlife Radio Tagging. 2nd ed. Academic Press, London, U.K.
- 1985. Cautionary note about R2. Am. Stat. 39:279–285.
- 1986. Home range, time, and body size in mammals. Ecology 67:413–418. , , and .
- 1986. Bobcat habitat use and home range size in relation to prey density. J. Wildl. Manage. 50:110–117. , and .
- 2011. Temporal and spatial interactions between an obligate predator, the Eurasian lynx, and a facultative scavenger, the wolverine. Can. J. Zool. 89:79–89. , , , and .
- 2001. Radio tracking and animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego. , and .
- 2009. Spatial ecology of European badgers (Meles meles L.) in Mediterranean habitats of the north-eastern Iberian Peninsula. I: home range size, spatial distribution and social organization. Life Environ. 59:223–232. , , , and .
- 2009. Spatial ecology of the European wildcat in a Mediterranean ecosystem: dealing with small radio-tracking datasets in species conservation. J. Zool. 279:27–35. , , , and .
- 1992. Protected areas in Sweden: is natural variety adequately represented? Conserv. Biol. 6:232–242. , and .
- 1997. Winter home range of snow leopards in Nepal. Mammalia 61:355–360.
- 1997. Ecology and behavior of 3 wild orphaned brown bear cubs in Spain. International Conf. Bear Res. and Manage. 9:85–90. , , , and .
- 1998. Topographical constraints and home range quality. Ecography 21:337–341. , and .
- 2000. Assessing representativeness of protected natural areas in Costa Rica for conserving biodiversity: a preliminary gap analysis. Biol. Conserv. 93:35–41. , , and .
- 2001. Preliminary results of the first transplantation of brown bears in the French Pyrenees. Ursus 12:115–120. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Conservation biogeography of ecologically interacting species: the case of the Iberian lynx and the European rabbit. Divers. Distrib. 15:390–400. , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Topographical constraints on competition for territories. Oikos 51:115–117. , and .
- 2004. Mapa Bioclimático de Europa, Bioclimas. Servicio Cartográfico de la Universidad de León: Madrid, Spain. , , and .
- 2004. Spatial structure and land-cover use in a low-density Mediterranean population of Eurasian badgers. Can. J. Zool. 82:1493–1502. , , and .
- 2010. Free GIS for herpetologists: free data sources on Internet and comparison analysis of proprietary and free/open source software. Acta Herpetol. 5:63–85. , and .
- 2008. Home range size and daytime habitat selection of leopards in Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary, Thailand. Biol. Conserv. 141:2242–2250. , , , and .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. W.H. Freeman & Co., New York. , and .
- 2000. Topographic effects on spatial data at a Japanese macaque study site. Am. J. Primatol. 52:143–147.
- Statsoft, Inc. 2005. Statistica v5.0 (data analysis software system), Tulsa, OH.
- 1997. Using geographic information systems to determine home range of the southern flying squirrel (Glaucomys volans). Am. Midl. Nat. 137:106–111. , , , and .
- 2010. A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Methods Ecol. Evol. 1:3–14. , , and .