Interspecific synchrony of seabird population growth rate and breeding success
Article first published online: 30 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2013–2019, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2013–2019
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 30 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 3 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 JAN 2013
- European Research Council. Grant Number: 250189
- 2002. Sandeel recruitment in the North Sea: demographic, climatic and trophic effects. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 238:199–210. , and .
- 1999. Spatial population dynamics: analyzing patterns and processes of population synchrony. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:427–432. , , and .
- 2011. Quantitative approaches in climate change ecology. Glob. Change Biol. 17:3697–3713. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Multi-species feeding associations in North Sea seabirds: jointly exploiting a patchy environment. Ardea 87:177–198. , and .
- 2003. Detection of imperfect population synchrony in an uncertain world. J. Anim. Ecol. 72:953–968. , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity may regulate the temporal variability of ecological systems. Ecol. Lett. 4:72–85. , , and .
- 1990. Seabird ecology in the North Sea. Neth. J. Sea Res. 26:387–425. , , , and .
- 2003. Trophic interactions under climate fluctuations: the Atlantic puffin as an example. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270:1461–1466. , , and .
- 2005. Marine birds and climate fluctuation in the North Atlantic. Pp.95–105 in N. Chr. Stenseth, et al., eds. Marine ecosystems and climate variation: the North Atlantic: a comparative perspective. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford. , , , , , and .
- 1993. An introduction to the bootstrap. Chapman & Hall, New York. , and .
- 2011. Scale-dependent response diversity of seabirds to prey in the North Sea. Ecology 92:228–239. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Regional and annual variation in black-legged kittiwake breeding productivity is related to sea surface temperature. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 350:137–143. , , , and .
- 2008. The demographic impact of extreme events: stochastic weather drives survival and population dynamics in a long-lived seabird. J. Anim. Ecol. 77:1020–1029. , , , and .
- 2000. Seabird-fishery interactions: quantifying the sensitivity of seabirds to reductions in sandeel abundance, and identification of key areas for sensitive seabirds in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 202:253–264. , and .
- 2009. The causes and consequences of compensatory dynamics in ecological communities. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40:393–414. , and .
- 2010. Synchrony and stability of food webs in metacommunities. Am. Nat. 175:E16–E34. , , and .
- 2009. Modeling survival at multi-population scales using mark–recapture data. Ecology 90:2922–2932. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005a. Effect of wintering area and climate on the survival of adult Atlantic puffins Fratercula arctica in the eastern Atlantic. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 297:283–296. , , , , , and .
- 2005b. Isle of May seabird studies in 2004. JNCC Report, No. 375. , , , and .
- 2007. Compensatory dynamics are rare in natural ecological communities. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:3273–3277. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. NAO index data – climate analysis section. NCAR, Boulder, USA.
- 2007. Stability and diversity of ecosystems. Science 317:58–62. , and .
- 2007. A new generation of climate-change experiments: events, not trends. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5:365–374. , , and .
- 2008. Coherent ecological dynamics induced by large-scale disturbance. Nature 454:331–334.
- 2005. Managing ecosystem services: what do we need to know about their ecology? Ecol. Lett. 8:468–479.
- 2010. Spatial dynamics of Norwegian tetraonid populations. Ecol. Res. 25:367–374. , , , , and .
- 2011. A capture-recapture model for exploring multi-species synchrony in survival. Methods Ecol. Evol. 2:116–124. , , , , and .
- 2013. Breeding together: modeling synchrony in productivity in a seabird community. Ecology 94:3–10. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Spatial synchrony in population dynamics. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:467–490. , , and .
- 2005. Bootstrap methods for estimating spatial synchrony of fluctuating populations. Oikos 109:342–350. , , and .
- 2010. From populations to ecosystems: theoretical foundations for a new ecological synthesis. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ and Oxford.
- 2008. Species synchrony and its drivers: neutral and nonneutral community dynamics in fluctuating environments. Am. Nat. 172:E48–E66. , and .
- 2010. Biological diversity in a changing world. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 365:3593–3597. , and .
- 1999. The dual nature of community variability. Oikos 85:161–169. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Population synchrony decreases with richness and increases with environmental fluctuations in an experimental metacommunity. Oecologia 171:237–247. , , and .
- 2008. Detecting compensatory dynamics in competitive communities under environmental forcing. Oikos 117:1907–1911. , , , , , and .
- 1988. Analysing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43:223–225.
- 2005. The effect of climate on adult survival in five species of North Atlantic seabirds. J. Anim. Ecol. 74:817–831. , , , and .
- 2001. Catastrophic shifts in ecosystems. Nature 413:591–596. , , , , and .
- 2012. Diversity and stability of herbivorous fishes on coral reefs. Ecology 93:891–901. , , and .
- 2001. Lagged effects of ocean climate change on fulmar population dynamics. Nature 413:417–420. , and .
- 2006. Biodiversity and ecosystem stability in a decade-long grassland experiment. Nature 441:629–632. , , and .
- 1995. Seabird monitoring handbook for Britain and Ireland. JNCC/RSPB/ITE/Seabird Group, Peterborough. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Long-term changes in breeding phenology at two seabird colonies in the western North Sea. Ibis 151:274–285. , , , and .