An ecological genetic delineation of local seed-source provenance for ecological restoration
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2138–2149, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2138–2149
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 APR 2013
- Australian Research Council. Grant Numbers: LP0348958, LP100100620
- 1999. An empirical comparison of permutation methods for tests of partial regression coefficients in a linear model. J. Statist. Comput. Siml. 62:271–303. , and .
- 2009. A geographic mosaic of genetic variation within a foundation tree species and its community-level consequences. Ecology 90:1762–1772. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Mol. Ecol. 13:969–980. , and .
- BGPA. 2000. Bold park environmental management plan botanic gardens and parks authority. Western Australian Government, West Perth, Australia.
- 2010. The importance of plant provenance and genotypic diversity of seed material used for ecological restoration. Restor. Ecol. 18:338–348. , , and .
- 2002. zt: a software tool for simple and partial Mantel tests. J. Stat. Softw. 7:1–12. , and .
- 2008. Seed supply for broadscale restoration: maximizing evolutionary potential. Evol. Appl. 1:587–597. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Rapid genetic delineation of local provenance seed collection zones for effective rehabilitation of an urban bushland remnant. Austral Ecol. 31:164–175. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Assessing genetic risk in revegetation. J. Appl. Ecol. 48:1365–1373. , , and .
- 1991. Segregation of random amplified DNA markers in F1 progeny of conifers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 83:194–200. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Ecological patterns in multivariate assemblages: information and interpretation of negative values in ANOSIM tests. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 180:257–265. , and .
- 2006. PRIMER v6, user manual/tutorial. Primer-E Ltd, Plymouth. , and .
- 2007. Ecological restoration: principles, values and structure of an emerging profession. Island Press, Washington, USA. , and .
- 1987. Post-fire recruitment of four co-occurring Banksia species. J. Appl. Ecol. 24:645–658. , and .
- 2006. Plant genotypic diversity predicts community structure and governs an ecosystem process. Science 313:966–968. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Between a rock and a hard place, evaluating the relative risks of inbreeding and outbreeding for conservation and management. Mol. Ecol. 16:463–683.
- ENCODE project consortium. 2012. An integrated encyclopedia of DNA elements in the human genome. Nature 489:57–74.
- 2001. An introduction to restoration genetics. Plant Conservation Alliance, Bureau of Land Management, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC. , , and .
- 2011. Enhanced AFLP genome scans detect local adaptation in high-altitude populations of a small rodent (Microtus arvalis). Mol. Ecol. 20:1450–1462. , , , and .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a Bayesian perspective. Genetics 180:977–993. , and .
- 2010. Estimating population structure from AFLP amplification intensity. Mol. Ecol. 19:4638–4647. , , , and .
- Forestry Commission Scotland. 2006. Seed sources for planting native trees and shrubs in Scotland. Forestry Commission Scotland, Edinburgh, U.K.
- 1990. Floral initiation and development in relation to the time of flowering in Banksia coccinea RBr and B. menziesii RBr (Proteaceae). Aust. J. Bot. 38:487–500. , and .
- 1987. The Banksia book. Kangaroo Press, Australia.
- 2011. Outbreeding depression caused by intraspecific hybridization between local and nonlocal genotypes in Abies sachalinensis. Restor. Ecol. 19:243–250. , , , and .
- 2001. Long-term changes in vigour and distribution of Banksia and Melaleuca overstory species on the Swan Coastal Plain. J. R. Soc. West. Aust. 84:63–69. , , , and .
- 2004. Long-distance seed dispersal in a metapopulation of Banksia hookeriana inferred from a population allocation analysis of amplified fragment length polymorphism data. Mol. Ecol. 13:1099–1109. , , , , and .
- 2006. Increased ecological amplitude through heterosis following wide outcrossing in Banksia ilicifolia RBr (Proteaceae). J. Evol. Biol. 19:1327–1338. , , , , and .
- 1990. Fire-related dynamics of a Banksia woodland in south-western Western Australia. Aust. J. Bot. 38:97–110. , and .
- 2008. Land ahead: using genome scans to identify molecular markers of adaptive relevance. Plant Ecol. Divers. 1:273–283. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The southwest Australian floristic region: evolution and conservation of a global hot spot of biodiversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35:623–650. , and .
- 2003. Plant ecotypes: genetic differentiation in the age of ecological restoration. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18:147–155. , and .
- 2012. Inbreeding and outbreeding depression in Stylidium hispidum: implications for seed sourcing for ecological restoration. Ecol. Evol. 2:2262–2273. doi: 10.1002/ece3.302 , , and .
- 2010. Hidden treasures: documenting localised variants of the flora of the Swan Coastal Plain. Australas. Plant Conserv. 19:19–20. , and .
- 1999. Complete exclusion of nonsires in an analysis of paternity in a natural plant population using amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP). Mol. Ecol. 8:217–226.
- Seed sourcing for ecological restoration of Banksia woodlands on the Swan Coastal Plain in J. C. Stevens, V. J. Newton, R. L. Barrett, K. W. Dixon, eds. Restoring Perth's Banksia woodlands. The University of Western Australia Press, Crawley. in press.
- 2006. Rapid genetic identification of local provenance seed collection zones for ecological restoration and biodiversity conservation. J. Nat. Conserv. 14:190–199. , and .
- 1994. Regional and local (road verge) effects on size and fecundity in Banksia menziesii. Austral Ecol. 19:197–205. , , , , and .
- 2007. Mutual feedbacks maintain both genetic and species diversity in a plant community. Science 317:1561–1563. , and .
- 1999. Ecological genetics and the restoration of plant communities: mix or match? Restor. Ecol. 7:42–50. , and .
- 1985. Variability in the resistance of Banksia Lf species to Phytophthora cinnamomi Rands. Aust. J. Bot. 33:629–637. , , and .
- 2005. “How local is local?” A review of practical and conceptual issues in the genetics of restoration. Restor. Ecol. 13:432–440. , , , and .
- 2011. Reconnecting plants and pollinators: challenges in the restoration of pollination mutualisms. Trends Plant Sci. 16:4–12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A question of origin: where and how to collect seed for ecological restoration. Basic Appl. Ecol. 11:300–311. , , and .
- 2000. Pp. 1–8 in Guidelines 10: seed collection ranges for revegetation. FloraBank, Canberra.
- 1999. AFLP genotyping and fingerprinting. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:389–394. , and .
- 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403:853–858. , , , , and .
- Genetic evidence for widespread persistence during the Last Glacial Maximum of Eucalyptus gomphocephala (Myrtaceae), a tree species with a narrow coastal distribution. Ann. Bot. , , , and . in press.
- 2010. Testing the home-site advantage in forest trees on disturbed and undisturbed sites. Restor. Ecol. 18:359–372. , and .
- 2007. Provenance variation of ecologically important traits of forest trees: implications for restoration. J. Appl. Ecol. 44:583–593. , , and .
- 2012. GenAlEx 6.5: genetic analysis in excel population genetic software for teaching and research – an update. Bioinformatics 28:2537–2539. in press. , and .
- 2003. Genetic pollution of native eucalypt gene pools – identifying the risks. Aust. J. Bot. 51:1–25. , , , and .
- 1991. Self-Incompatibility, protandry, pollen production and pollen longevity in Banksia menziesii. Aust. J. Bot. 39:497–504. , and .
- 2012. A genetic assessment of ecological restoration success in Banksia attenuate. Restor. Ecol. 20:441–449. , and .
- 2007. Recent advances in restoration ecology, with a focus on the Banksia woodland and the smoke germination tool. Aust. J. Bot. 55:375–389. , and .
- 2002. Cryptic invasion by a non-native genotype of the common reed, Phragmites australis, into North America. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99:2445–2449.
- 1980. Estimation of the outcrossing rate for Banksia attenuata RBr and Banksia menziesii RBr (Proteaceae). Aust. J. Bot. 28:53–59.
- 2004. Sense of place. Blookings Books Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- 2011. Building evolutionary resilience for conserving biodiversity under climate change. Evol. Appl. 4:326–337. , , and .
- 1996. Susceptibility of plant species in Banksia woodlands on the Swan Coastal Plain, Western Australia, to infection by Phytophthora cinnamomi. Aust. J. Bot. 44:433–445. , and .
- 2009. Sample size effects on estimates of population genetic structure, implications for ecological restoration. Restor. Ecol. 17:837–844. , and .
- 2010. High genetic diversity in a clonal relict Alexgeorgea nitens (Restionaceae): implications for ecological restoration. Aust. J. Bot. 58:206–213. , , , and .
- 2013. Genetic delineation of local provenance in Persoonia longifolia: implications for seed sourcing for ecological restoration. Restor. Ecol. 21:49–57. , and .
- 1988. The Banksia Atlas, reprinted with amendments, Australian Flora and Fauna series, No 8. Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, Australia. , and .
- 2010. Predicting performance for ecological restoration, a case study using Spartina alterniflora. Ecol. Appl. 20:192–204. , and .
- 1995. AFLP, a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Assessing the benefits and risks of translocations in changing environments: a genetic perspective. Evol. Appl. 4:709–725. , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. Flowering phenology, seed set and bird pollination of five Western Australian Banksia species. Aust. J. Ecol. 5:1–7. , and .
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nat. Rev. Genet. 7:510–523. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The development of British Columbia's tree seed transfer guidelines: purpose, concept, methodology, and implementation. For. Ecol. Manage. 227:1–13. , and .
- 2002. Influence of groundwater depth on the seasonal sources of water accessed by Banksia tree species on a shallow, sandy coastal aquifer. Oecologia 131:8–19. , , , and .