Reproductive isolation and cryptic introgression in a sky island enclave of Appalachian birds
Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 8, pages 2485–2496, August 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(8): 2485–2496
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Research Endowments
- University of Maryland
- 1978. Some hypotheses on postglacial migrations of the fire-bellied toad, Bombina bombina (Linnaeus) and the yellow-bellied toad, Bombina variegata (Linnaeus). J. Biogeogr. 5:339–345.
- 2004. The incomplete natural history of mitochondria. Mol. Ecol. 13:729–744. , and .
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol. 16:37–48. , , and .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 2006. Population size does not influence mitochondrial genetic diversity in animals. Science 312:570–572. , , and .
- 2005. Ten years of AFLP in ecology and evolution: why so few animals? Mol. Ecol. 14:2899–2914. , and .
- 1986. Extensive protein similarity of the hybridizing chickadees Parus atricapillus and P. carolinensis. Auk 103:667–675. , and .
- 1963. Ecological and reproductive relationships of Black-capped and Carolina chickadees. Auk 80:9–47.
- 2003a. A test of the endogenous and exogenous selection hypothesis for the maintenance of a narrow avian hybrid zone. Evolution 57:630–637. , , and .
- 2003b. Mate preference: a possible causal mechanism for a moving hybrid zone. Anim. Behav. 65:489–500. , , and .
- 2005. Reproductive success across the Black-capped chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) and Carolina chickadee (P. carolinensis) hybrid zone in Ohio. Auk 122:759–772. , , , and .
- 2007. Empirical study of hybrid zone movement. Heredity 99:301–312.
- 2008. Integrating phylogenetic and population genetic analyses of multiple loci to test species divergence hypotheses in Passerina buntings. Genetics 178:363–377. , and .
- 2004. The impact of climate change on birds. Ibis 146(Suppl. 1):48–56.
- 2005. Hybridization in chickadees: much to learn from familiar birds. Auk 122:747–758.
- 2011. Cryptic genetic introgression into an Appalachian sky island population of Black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus). M.S. Thesis. University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.
- 2005. Detecting the number of clusters of individuals using the software STRUCTURE: a simulation study. Mol. Ecol. 14:2611–2620. , , and .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol. Bioinform. Online 1:47–50. , , and .
- 2007. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: dominant markers and null alleles. Mol. Ecol. Notes 7:574–578. , , and .
- 2010. Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus). in A. Poole, ed. The Birds of North America online. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca. Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online. Available at http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/039. , , , and .
- 1999. Speciation in North American chickadees: II. Geography of mtDNA haplotypes in Poecile carolinensis. Auk 116:274–277. , , and .
- 1980. Mating systems, philopatry and dispersal in birds and mammals. Anim. Behav. 28:1140–1162.
- 1998. A DNA test to sex most birds. Mol. Ecol. 7:274–277. , , , and .
- 1994. On no-chickadee zones in midwestern North America: evidence from the Ohio breeding bird atlas and the North American breeding bird survey. Auk 111:191–197. , , and .
- 2006. Genomic islands of differentiation between house mice subspecies. Genome Res. 16:730–737.
- 2009. Inferring weak population structure with the assistance of sample group information. Mol. Ecol. Resour. 9:1322–1332. , , , and .
- 1999. Partners in flight bird conservation plan for the southern Blue Ridge. American Bird Conservancy, Washington, DC. , , , and .
- 2000. Climate change is affecting altitudinal migrants and hibernating species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 97:1630–1633. , , , and .
- 2007. CLUMPP: a cluster matching and permutation program for dealing with label switching and multimodality in analysis of population structure. Bioinformatics 23:1801–1806. , and .
- 1971. Ecological aspects of hybridizing chickadees (Parus) in Virginia. Am. Midl. Nat. 85:124–134.
- 1968. The concept of stasipatric speciation. Syst. Zool. 17:14–22.
- 2004. Genetic differentiation among recently diverged delphinid taxa determined using AFLP markers. J. Hered. 95:1–10. , and .
- 1989. Dynamics of mitochondrial DNA evolution in animals: amplification and sequencing with conserved primers. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 86:6196–6200. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Extinction, extirpation, and range reduction of breeding birds in North Carolina: what can be learned? Chat 63:103–122.
- 1997. Use of “lysis buffer” in DNA isolation and its implications for museum collections. Occasional Papers. Mus. Tex. Tech Univ. 163:1–3. , , and .
- 2005. Hybridization as an invasion of the genome. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:229–237.
- 1996. A molecular phylogenetic survey of the nightjars and allies (Caprimulgiformes) with special emphasis on the potoos (Nyctibiidae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 6:228–244. , and .
- 1978. Characteristics of Black-capped and Carolina chickadees at the range interface in northern Indiana. Jack-Pine Warbler 56:171–179.
- 1981. Narrowly disjunct allopatry between Black-capped and Carolina chickadees in northern Indiana. Wilson Bull. 93:54–66.
- 2010. The relationship of metabolic performance and distribution in Black-capped and Carolina chickadees. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83:263–275. , , , , and .
- 1995. The summer atlas of North American birds. Academic Press Inc, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , , and .
- 2010. Documentation for structure software: version 2.3. Software. Available at http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html (accessed February 02, 2013). , , and .
- 2007. Structure and dynamics of the Black-capped chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) and Carolina chickadee (P. carolinensis) hybrid zone in southeastern Pennsylvania. Auk 124:463–478. , , , and .
- 1996. Extinction by hybridization and introgression. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 27:83–109. , and .
- 1968. A multivariate assessment of interbreeding between the chickadees Parus atricapillus and P. carolinensis. Syst. Zool. 17:160–169.
- 1986. Morphological and vocal variation across a contact zone between the chickadees Parus atricapillus and P. carolinensis. Auk 103:655–666. , , and .
- 2000. NTSYSpc, numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system, version 2.11i. Exeter Software, Setauket, NY.
- 2004. Distruct: a program for the graphical display of population structure. Mol. Ecol. Notes 4:137–138.
- 2002. Genetic structure of human populations. Science 298:2381–2385. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Ecology and genetics of speciation in Ficedula flycatchers. Mol. Ecol. 19:1091–1106. , and .
- 2000. Morphometric variation as an indicator of genetic interactions between Black-capped and Carolina chickadees at a contact zone in the Appalachian Mountains. Auk 117:427–444. , and .
- 2007. An assessment of song admixture as an indicator of hybridization in Black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) and Carolina chickadees (P. Carolinensis). Auk 124:926–944. , , and .
- 1990. A detailed analysis of the genetic interaction at a hybrid zone between the chickadees Parus atricapillus and P. carolinensis as revealed by nuclear and mitochondrial DNA restriction fragment length variation. Ph. D. dissertation, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2002. Comparison of breeding bird and vegetation communities in primary and secondary forests of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Biol. Conserv. 129:302–311. , , and .
- 1992. Birds of the Blue Ridge Mountains: a guide for the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains, Shenandoah National Park, and neighboring areas. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC. .
- 1991. The Black-capped Chickadee. Comstock Publishing, Ithaca, NY.
- 1952. Black-capped and Carolina chickadees in the southern Appalachian Mountains. Auk 69:407–424.
- 2007. Newts under siege: range expansion of Triturus pygmaeus isolates populations of its sister species. Divers. Distrib. 13:580–586. , and .
- 1999. Birds extend their ranges northwards. Nature 399:213. , and .
- 2002. Avian response to removal of a forest dominant: consequences of hemlock woolly adelgid infestations. J. Biogeogr. 29:1505–1516. , , , and .
- 1980. Taxonomic and distributional relationships of Black-capped (Parus atricapillus) and Carolina (P. carolinensis) chickadees in the southern Blue Ridge Province, North Carolina. M.S. thesis. Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina.
- 2008. The genetic mosaic suggests a new role for hitchhiking in ecological speciation. Mol. Ecol. 17:4334–4345. , and .
- 1995. AFLP: a new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23:4407–4414. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic variation and population structure in native Americans. PLoS Genet. 3:2049–2067. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Juvenile dispersal and development of site-fidelity in the Black-capped chickadee. Auk 96:40–55. , and .
- 2009. The effect of marker choice on estimated levels of introgression across an avian (Pipridae: Manacus) hybrid zone. Mol. Ecol. 18:4888–4903. , , , , and .
- 2008. Mitochondrial DNA under siege in avian phylogeography. Mol. Ecol. 17:2107–2121. , and .