QTL affecting fitness of hybrids between wild and cultivated soybeans in experimental fields
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Ecology and Evolution published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Ecology and Evolution
Volume 3, Issue 7, pages 2150–2168, July 2013
How to Cite
Ecology and Evolution 2013; 3(7): 2150–2168
- Issue published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 FEB 2013
- Global Environment Research Fund of the Japanese Ministry of the Environment. Grant Number: FY2003-FY2005
- 2008. Selection on domestication traits and quantitative trait loci in crop-wild sunflower hybrids. Mol. Ecol. 17:666–677. , , , , and .
- 1971. Two major genes for time of flowering and maturity in soybeans. Crop Sci. 11:242–244.
- 1972. Two genes affecting stem termination in soybeans. Crop Sci. 12:235–239.
- 1973. Qualitative genetics. Pp. 117–149 in B. E. Caldwell, ed. Soybean: improvement, production and uses. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI. , and .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Adv. Genet. 13:115–156.
- 1971. Inheritance of a soybean flowering response to fluorescent-daylength conditions. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 13:703–707.
- 1980. Inheritance of insensitivity to long daylength. Soyb. Genet. Newsl. 7:26–29. , and .
- 2004. Biogeography, local adaptation, Vavilov and genetic diversity in soybean. Pp. 47–59 in D. Werner, ed. Biological resources and migration. Springer, Berlin. , , and .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138:963–971. , and .
- 1999. An integrated genetic linkage map of the soybean genome. Crop Sci. 39:1464–1490. , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Weeds and domesticates: evolution in the man-made habitat. Econ. Bot. 29:99–108. , and .
- 2009. Fitness and maternal effects in hybrids formed between transgenic oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) and wild brown mustard [B. juncea (L.) Czern et Coss.] in the field. Pest Manag. Sci. 65:753–760. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Current knowledge of gene flow in plants: implications for transgene flow. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 358:1163–1170.
- 1999. Gene flow and introgression from cultivated plants into their wild relatives. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 30:539–563. , , and .
- 2003. DETERMINATE and LATE FLOWERING are two TERMINAL FLOWER1/CENTRORADIALIS homologs that control two distinct phases of flowering initiation and development in pea. Plant Cell 15:2742–2754. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The extent of natural cross-pollination in wild soybean (Glycine soja). J. Hered. 88:124–128. , , , and .
- 2003. Possible effects of (trans) gene flow from crops on the genetic diversity from landraces and wild relatives. Environ. Biosaf. Res. 2:361–366. , and .
- 1999. Tandem constructs: preventing the rise of superweeds. Trends Biotechnol. 17:361–366.
- 2010. Genetic perspectives on crop domestication. Trends Plant Sci. 15:529–537. , and .
- 2000. Genetically modified plants – the debate continues. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:14–18.
- 2005. A genetic linkage map for azuki bean. [Vigna angularis (Willd.) Ohwi & Ohashi]. Theor. Appl. Genet., 111, 1278–1287. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The dynamics of domestication. Pp. 115–133 in Crops and man. American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, Madison, WI.
- 1990. Pp. 69–128 in Hybrid zones: windows on evolutionary process. Vol. 7. Oxford Surveys in Evolutionary Biology, Oxford, UK.
- 2012. Genomic regions in crop–wild hybrids of lettuce are affected differently in different environments: implications for crop breeding. Evol. Appl. 5:629–640. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Hybridization alters early life-history traits and increases plant colonization success in a novel region. Am. Nat. 179:192–203. , , , and .
- 2004. Speciation and cytogenetics. Pp. 97–136 in H. R. Boerma, J. E. Specht, eds. Soybeans: improvement, production and uses. Agronomy Monograph No. 16, American Society of Agronomy–Crop Science Society of America–Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI. .
- 2012. Global status of commercialized biotech/GM crops: 2012. ISAAA Brief No. 44. ISAAA, Ithaca, NY. .
- 2003. Crop-to-wild gene flow, introgression and possible fitness effect of transgenes. Environ. Biosaf. Res. 2:9–24. , , and .
- 2005. Exploration and collection for hybrid derivatives between wild and cultivated soybean: preliminary survey in Akita and Hiroshima Prefectures, Japan. Annual Report on Exploration and Introduction of Plant Genetic Resources 21:59–71. Available at http://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/plant/pdf/report/parts/2004_1-8.pdf (accessed 20 May 2013) , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The genetics of domestication of the azuki bean (Vigna angularis). Genetics 178:1013–1036. , , , and .
- 1999. Multiple interval mapping for quantitative trait loci. Genetics 152:1203–1216. , , and .
- 1990. Genetic analysis of soybean hard seedness with molecular markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 79:465–469. , , and .
- 1998. Approximate analysis of QTL-environment interaction with no limits on the number of environments. Genetics 148:2015–2028. , , and .
- 2001. Enhanced efficiency of quantitative trait loci mapping analysis based on multivariate complexes of quantitative traits. Genetics 157:1789–1803. , , , , and .
- 1944. The estimation of map distance from recombination values. Ann. Eugen. 12:172–175.
- 2005 Exploration, collection and monitoring of wild soybean and hybrid derivatives between wild soybean and cultivated soybean: based on field surveys at Akita, Ibaraki, Aichi, Hiroshima and Saga Prefectures. Annual Report on Exploration and Introduction of Plant Genetic Resources, 21, 73–95. Available at http://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/plant/pdf/report/parts/2004_1-9.pdf (accessed 20 May 2013). , , , , , , et al.
- 2006a. Population genetic structure of Japanese wild soybean (Glycine soja) based on microsatellite variation. Mol. Ecol. 15:959–974. , , , and .
- 2006b. Exploration, collection and monitoring of wild soybean, cultivated soybean and hybrid derivatives between wild soybean and cultivated soybean: based on field surveys at Akita, Ibaraki, Kochi and Saga Prefectures. Annual Report on Exploration and Introduction of Plant Genetic Resources 22:1–12. Available at http://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/plant/pdf/report/parts/2005_1-1.pdf (accessed 20 May 2013). , , , , and .
- 2007. Exploration, collection and monitoring of wild soybean, cultivated soybean and hybrid derivatives between wild soybean and cultivated soybean: based on field surveys at Akita, Hyogo and Saga Prefectures. Annual Report on Exploration and Introduction of Plant Genetic Resources, 23:9–27. Available at http://www.gene.affrc.go.jp/plant/pdf/report/parts/2006_1-2.pdf (accessed 20 May 2013). , , , , , and .
- 2008. Gene flow and genetic structure of wild soybean (Glycine soja) in Japan. Crop Sci. 48:1071–1078. , , , and .
- 2010. The origin and fate of morphological intermediates between wild and cultivated soybeans in their natural habitats in Japan. Mol. Ecol. 19:2346–2360. , , , and .
- 1996. Hybridization and the extinction of rare plant species. Conserv. Biol. 10:10–16. , , and .
- 1991. A soybean cell wall protein is affected by seed color genotype. Plant Cell 3:561–571. , and .
- 2007. QTL mapping of domestication-related traits in soybean (Glycine max). Ann. Bot. 100:1027–1038. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Transgene escape from GM crops and potential biosafety consequences: an environmental perspective. International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Collection of Biosafety Reviews 4:66–141.
- 2005. Molecular linkage mapping and phylogeny of the chalcone synthase multigene family in soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 110:1203–1209. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) in soybean: species diversity, inheritance, and near-isogenic line analysis. Theor. Appl. Genet. 93:392–401. , , , and .
- 2009. Flowering phonologies and natural hybridization of genetically modified and wild soybeans under field condition. Weed Biol. Manag 9:93–96. , , and .
- 2002. Natural hybridization in wild soybean (Glycine max ssp. soja) by pollen flow from cultivated soybean (Glycine max ssp. max) in a designed population. Weed Biol. Manag 2:25–30. , and .
- 2005. Effects of plants genetically modified for insect resistance on nontarget organisms. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 50:271–292. , , , and .
- 1994. Some ecological and demographic characteristics of two growth forms of wild soybean (Glycine soja). Can. J. Bot. 72:486–492. , and .
- 1983. Genetic control of regenerating success in semi-natural conditions observed among lines derived from a cultivated x wild soybean hybrid. J. Appl. Ecol., 20:937–949.
- 2000. Genetics and cytology of chromosome inversions in soybean germplasm. Crop Sci. 40:683–687. , , and .
- 2003. Domestication quantitative trait loci in Triticum dicoccoides, the progenitor of wheat. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100:2489–2494. , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. The damaging effect of water on dry pea embryos during imbibition. J. Exp. Bot. 29:1215–1229. , and .
- 1996. Genepool variation in genus Glycine subgenus Soja revealed by polymorphic nuclear and chloroplast microsatellites. Genetics 144:793–803. , , , , , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Available at http://www.r-project.org (accessed 20 May 2013).
- 1996. Role of gene interactions in hybrid speciation: evidence from ancient and experimental hybrids. Science 272:741–745. , , , , and .
- 1978. Water impermeable seed dormancy. Bot. Rev. 44:365–396.
- 2005. Quantitative trait loci and the study of plant domestication. Genetica 123:197–204.
- 2010. Growth and fitness components of wild × cultivated Sorghum bicolor (Poaceae) hybrids in Nebraska. Am. J. Bot. 97:1610–1617. , , , , and .
- 2004. Marker-assisted analysis for soybean hard seededness with isozyme and simple sequence repeat loci. Breed. Sci. 54:133–139. , , , and .
- 1988. The genomic relationship between Glycine max (L.) Merr. and G. soja Sieb. and Zucc. as revealed by pachytene chromosome analysis. Theor. Appl. Genet. 76:705–711. , and .
- 1989. The genomic relationships among Glycine soja Sieb. and Zucc., G. max (L.) Merr., and ‘G. gracilis’ Skvortz. Plant Breeding 103:171–173. , and .
- 1999. Costs of transgenic herbicide resistance introgressed from Brassica napus into weedy B. rapa. Mol. Ecol. 8:605–615. , , and .
- 2010. Long-term persistence of crop alleles in weedy populations of wild radish (Raphanus raphanistrum). New Phytol. 186:537–548. , , , , , and .
- 2004. A new integrated genetic linkage map of the soybean. Theor. Appl. Genet. 109:122–128. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Transgene introgression from genetically modified crops to their wild relatives. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4:806–817. , , and .
- 2002. A single-base deletion in soybean flavonoid 3′-hydroxylase gene is associated with gray pubescence color. Plant Mol. Biol. 50:187–196. , , , , , and .
- 2001. JoinMap 3.0 software for the calculation of genetic linkage maps. Plant Research International, Wageningen, The Netherlands. , and .
- 2004. Identification of putative QTL trait that underlie yield in interspecific soybean backcross populations. Theor. Appl. Genet. 108:458–467. , , , and .
- 2009. Gene flow, invasiveness, and ecological impact of genetically modified crops. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1168:72–99. , , and .
- 2004. Analysis of QTLs for reproductive development and seed quality traits in soybean using recombinant inbred lines. Breed. Sci. 54:399–407. , , , , and .
- 1998. Of genes and genomes and the origin of maize. Trends Genet. 14:327–332. , and .
- 2003. Genetic diversity of wild and cultivated soybeans growing in China revealed by RAPD analysis. Plant Breeding 122:503–506. , and .
- 2001. An informative linkage map of soybean reveals QTLs for flowering time, leaflet morphology and regions of segregation distortion. DNA Res. 8:61–72. , , , , , , et al.